Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joe Johnson the player can't seem to get away from Joe Johnson the contract (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298660)

ChrisKreager 05-05-2013 03:37 AM

Joe Johnson the player can't seem to get away from Joe Johnson the contract

Johnson is, by all accounts, a serviceable player and a decent scorer- not a lockerroom cancer and a player who can have good moments. Not afraid to take crunchtime shots.

And when it comes to contracts, I don't think it's THE worst ever (Allan Houston's my undisputed champ)

But that contract he signed in 2010 is gonna follow him wherever he goes until it ends or he gets to the third round.

In retrospect, I wish he had signed for half of what he signed (instead of 119 million, say he signed for 6 years at 60-66 million) because I feel that anytime his positive are brought up, the contract will always be brought up.

Bandito 05-05-2013 03:39 AM

Re: Joe Johnson the player can't seem to get away from Joe Johnson the contract

People are just hating he has the best agent in the business and got him that ridiculous contract that made him rich.

Guy Ledouche 05-05-2013 04:15 AM

I think people hate on him because he has always performed poorly in the postseason. That contract certainly doesn't help though.

SyRyanYang 05-05-2013 04:32 AM

Why would he want to take 50-60 mil less just because nobodies like you and me are talking shit about him?:facepalm

NickTheQuick31 05-05-2013 07:00 AM

If you want to make that kind of $ then you are expected to play at an elite level. Im sure Joe realized this when he signed the contract so I dont feel sorry for him. If Joe didnt want the pressure or high expectations he could have signed for less but chose not too. If Joe has a problem with the expectations as far as Im concerned its him own fault.

hoopaddict08 05-05-2013 07:23 AM

I like Joe Johnson but sometimes it is nice to see a player take just a little bit less to win. It reminds me when Ben Wallace wanted a big pay raise and surprisingly the Pistons were not willing to pay it. This was after he helped turn that franchise around and brought a championship along with a second Finals appearance. The team knew he was aging and he would be declining. You don't pay a player based off what they did for you; instead you pay them for what you think they can do for you.

Everyone knew Joe Johnson wasn't worth that contract. So why are teams willing to pay it? It just makes it harder to build a contender when you are overpaying a guy. I can't hate on a guy that can command that sort of contract and get it.

chips93 05-05-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
Why would he want to take 50-60 mil less just because nobodies like you and me are talking shit about him?:facepalm

:lol

this

Haymaker 05-05-2013 08:45 AM

I think Rashard's contract was worse.

niko 05-05-2013 09:02 AM

Joe Johnson is supposed to be an elite all star level player. He's not. THAT'S why people criticize. OP wants to set the bar lower so he doesn't get criticized, why? Are you his mom?

He spent a good portion of games this year floating around and doing nothing. And when he's active, he's total iso ball.

We criticize Carmelo for being too iso oriented and this is while he is excelling and winning. WE can't criticize JJ for the same thing while he's just average?

bagelred 05-05-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisKreager

In retrospect, I wish he had signed for half of what he signed (instead of 119 million, say he signed for 6 years at 60-66 million) because I feel that anytime his positive are brought up, the contract will always be brought up.

I'm pretty sure JJ is unbelievably happy making $20 million a year and does care one bit if people say he's overrated or overpaid. I wouldn't.

bagelred 05-05-2013 09:46 AM

Remember though, JJ was playing this series with Planters Fashionitis.

Rubio2Gasol 05-05-2013 10:08 AM

I think he cares - any professional athlete and competitor would - especially one who consciously tries to be as much as JJ does. But make no mistake, he doesn't regret getting 60 extra million dollars in the bank.

L.Kizzle 05-05-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTheQuick31
If you want to make that kind of $ then you are expected to play at an elite level. Im sure Joe realized this when he signed the contract so I dont feel sorry for him. If Joe didnt want the pressure or high expectations he could have signed for less but chose not too. If Joe has a problem with the expectations as far as Im concerned its him own fault.

Hawks front office: "Mr. Johnson, we are prepared to offer you $100 million."
JJ: "How much"

Hawks: "$100 millions"
JJ: "Uh, I am not worth that much I will be fine with $40 million"

Hawks: "I beg your pardon??"

Derka 05-05-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Hawks front office: "Mr. Johnson, we are prepared to offer you $100 million."
JJ: "How much"

Hawks: "$100 millions"
JJ: "Uh, I am not worth that much I will be fine with $40 million"

Hawks: "I beg your pardon??"

:roll: :roll:

hawkfan 05-05-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Ledouche
I think people hate on him because he has always performed poorly in the postseason. That contract certainly doesn't help though.

Blame the Hawks for offering it to him.
They could have said no past a certain amount and then he might have left.
And then the Hawks would have spent their money on another player.

But that contract is one of the reasons why we had the lockout, because the league was concerned that teams located in mid-sized cities, like Atlanta, wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger market teams.

We gave Joe that contract and had him for two seasons, and then we have to suffer for this season with a bunch of guys on expirers. So it was effectively a three year commitment for that contract.

Joe was horrible in this playoffs. He couldn't shoot outside at all, so then like Shaq, go down to the block and post up. He typically has a height advantage on his defender.

The Nets have no leadership at all. Williams is all talk; Johnson never shows up; and Lopez isn't assertive enough.

Joe Johnson to the Lakers for Pau Gasol.