Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   FIFA Confederations Cup, Brazil 2013 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300170)

Jasi 05-16-2013 05:35 PM

FIFA Confederations Cup, Brazil 2013

June 15th-30th, 2013

Qualified teams:

Group A
Brazil (2014 World Cup host)
Japan (2011 AFC Asian Cup winner)
Mexico (2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup winner)
Italy (UEFA Euro 2012 runners-up)

Group B
Spain (2010 World champions)
Uruguay (2011 Copa América winner)
Tahiti (2012 OFC Nations Cup winner)
Nigeria (2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner)

Two teams per group go on to the knockout round.

Not a major tournament, but surely a big stage, and possibly an entertaining event.

Let the discussion begin.

blablabla 05-16-2013 05:38 PM

Re: FIFA Confederations Cup, Brazil 2013

Really excited to see the Brazil team, especially Neymar.

Jasi 05-16-2013 05:40 PM

Here's Italy's preliminary squad.

GK
Agazzi (Cagliari), Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain)

D
Abate (Milan), Antonelli (Genoa), Astori (Cagliari), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Sciglio (Milan), Maggio (Napoli), Ogbonna (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter)

M
Aquilani (Fiorentina), Bonaventura (Atalanta), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Torino), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Giaccherini (Juventus), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (Sampdoria)

F
Balotelli (Milan), El Shaarawy (Milan), Gilardino (Bologna), Giovinco (Juventus), Osvaldo (Roma), Sau (Cagliari)

Agazzi, Bonaventura and Sau are the new entries.
No major surprise here except maybe Antonelli at LB over Pasqual who's had a great season in Florence.
Agazzi is also a surprise to me 'cause I never liked him and there are a lot of better GKs in Italy if you ask me (especially Consigli).
A bunch of youngsters who could have made the squad (Verratti first of all) were left out so they can play the U21 European Championship.

pinhead 05-16-2013 05:57 PM

Tinpot tournament. Not to be taken seriously.

Jasi 05-16-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinhead

You should instead, for the sheer fact that Conf Cup winners never win the World Cup that follows :D

Balla_Status 05-16-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Spain and Brazil took it pretty seriously last confed cup.

Lucio was crying when they won it. Spain's defenders felt depleted after Dempsey's nail-in-the-coffin goal.

**** USA should've won that tournament.

Anyways, what's cool now with CONCACAF, they're the winners of each Gold Cup Tournament play each other to see who gets to go to the Confederations Cup instead of the winner of the Gold Cup two years before the Confederations Cup.

you mad bro?

qrich 05-16-2013 07:57 PM

Let's go Tahiti

BrickingStar 05-16-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't take it seriously too if I was english since they'll never make it there to begin with :lol

BrickingStar 05-16-2013 08:04 PM

And OFC's winner should have to play a playoff against another confederation's country to get a slot in this like the world cup because they are terrible. How the **** does New Zealand not win the OFC cup anyway.

daj0264 05-16-2013 08:05 PM

Really upset not one of Lucas or coutinho made the squad but it just shows how much depth Brazil have.
Want to see how Neymar plays in a major tournament.

alenleomessi 05-16-2013 08:31 PM

Julio Cesar - Alves - Silva - Dante - Marcelo - David Luiz/Paulinho - Hernanes - Oscar - Hulk/Moura - Fred - Neymar

ridiculously talented but lacks leadership... scolari should have picked at least one out of ronnie/kaka

still should be the favourites alongside spain ( are they going to play their regulars? )

Lebowsky 05-16-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daj0264
Really upset not one of Lucas or coutinho made the squad but it just shows how much depth Brazil have.
Want to see how Neymar plays in a major tournament.

Then you'll have to wait till the next World Cup.

kaiteng 05-17-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qrich
Let's go Tahiti

Seriously, YEAH!! :cheers:
(But how comes New Zealand choked that badly?)

The last Confed Cup was entertaining with all those "upsets", and I hope this one will too. Mexico vs Spain in the final!

pinhead 05-17-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickingStar
I wouldn't take it seriously too if I was english since they'll never make it there to begin with :lol

Take that back.

qrich 05-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng
Seriously, YEAH!! :cheers:
(But how comes New Zealand choked that badly?)

The last Confed Cup was entertaining with all those "upsets", and I hope this one will too. Mexico vs Spain in the final!

Steevy Chong Hue will score 4 goals in group stages.