Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Does Morrison's Diabetes factor in? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3003)

Joey Zaza 06-27-2006 05:39 PM

Does Morrison's Diabetes factor in?

2 Part question:

1) Do you think Morrison's draft position changed based on diabetes...that it, if the top scorer in college, with questinable defense did not have Diabetes, would he be picked higher than Morrison is going ot be picked?

2) If you were a GM, would you factor it in?

ShannonElements 06-27-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
2 Part question:

1) Do you think Morrison's draft position changed based on diabetes...that it, if the top scorer in college, with questinable defense did not have Diabetes, would he be picked higher than Morrison is going ot be picked?

I really don't think it matters one way or another, to be perfectly honest.

Kiss Murder 06-27-2006 05:41 PM

tuh fuzz

What? He just can't have his sugar level go so high.

traditionone 06-27-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

2 Part question:

If doctors told me that his diabetes will not hinder him on the court or in practice in any way, then I would disregard that potential problem. I would have to rely on what doctors told me. I'm sure it's the same with every other GM at the top of the draft.

That answers both questions. If a doctor believed his diabetes would become a problem, of course it will affect his draft positioning. If not, then it doesn't. And I would listen to the advice of my medical staff and the doctors that examines him.

adamcz 06-27-2006 05:43 PM

This is one of those things where if your team doctors tell you it won't be a problem, you have to ignore it. The same issue arose last year with Bogut's eyesight. Some were scared that he could be blind within a few years, but the doctors said not to worry, and we didn't.

Rab 06-27-2006 05:45 PM

It didn't really affect him in college did it? He gives himself insulin shots right during timeouts and such right? I don't think it should play a big part in his draft status, but you never know.

I'm sure he'd always be monitored, and I know he checks his blood sugar as much as needed. He should be alright.

tydal 06-27-2006 05:52 PM

Chris Dudley

Chris Dudley played his entire career with Diabetes so I don't see why Morrison can't.

brwnman 06-27-2006 06:01 PM

Ye, go with the team doctors... I don't expect it to be a major issue...

Joey Zaza 06-27-2006 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydal
Chris Dudley played his entire career with Diabetes so I don't see why Morrison can't.

I think the hope and expectation with Morrison is that he'll play big minutes on a nightly basis. That wasn't Dudley. 15 minutes of NBA action has a greater impact on the body than 35.

ShannonElements 06-27-2006 06:04 PM

If anything him having diabetes is really going to help out his marketability.

tydal 06-27-2006 06:08 PM

True

Quote:

I think the hope and expectation with Morrison is that he'll play big minutes on a nightly basis. That wasn't Dudley. 15 minutes of NBA action has a greater impact on the body than 35.

Very true Zaza, I didn't take that into consideration. I still think that it won't bother him as much as people think it will. It didn't seem to slow him that much in college so we'll just have to see what happens in the pros.

As for medical conditions, I still think its better that a team knows about the problem versus having a player keep it secret (Trajon Langdon and his stomach cancer issues)

Joey Zaza 06-27-2006 06:12 PM

What's better the evil you know or the evil you don't know?

Always take the one you know.

Tell you something else about Morrison, the diabetes forces a strict dietary regimen. Alot of NBA players simply do not know how to eat. Its why you see players get fat.

Morrison knows how to eat. It'll help.