Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What if Isiah Thomas never left? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300481)

Da KO King 05-19-2013 11:11 AM

What if Isiah Thomas never left?

Anyone ever wonder what this team may have done if Thomas was still around?

Despite the media spin on the situation the Knicks would have been just able to sign Amar'e Stoudemire with the cap situation that Thomas had. Also would have been able to make a play for Carmelo as a free agent (the free agent angle is why Denver made the deal).

What made me wonder this was my man saying "I bet if Zeke still ran the team Stephenson would have been scoring for the Knicks". I had totally forgot that the Knicks skipped Stephenson twice as they picked Andy Rautlins and Landry Fields.

Figured this could be a cool topic to discuss instead of reliving last night.

percelloveknicks 05-19-2013 11:41 AM

Re: What if Isiah Thomas never left?

Damn!! im ashamed to say we passed up lance for andy rautins!!! andy rautins! we talking about andy rautins!!!

Rameek 05-19-2013 12:17 PM

Sorry I dont want to relive those days. There just wasnt a plan for this team back then.

Da KO King 05-19-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
Sorry I dont want to relive those days. There just wasnt a plan for this team back then.

Everyone says that but considering the team would have been able to sign a max guy during the LeBron sweepstakes, and likely would have had space for a max level guy the following year I think the difference was that Thomas would have been crucified if he publicly said he was in rebuilding mode. Donnie Walsh is the only front office guy in NY sports history that ever has gotten away with saying "I'm gonna suck for a few years to rebuild".

Rameek 05-19-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da KO King
Everyone says that but considering the team would have been able to sign a max guy during the LeBron sweepstakes, and likely would have had space for a max level guy the following year I think the difference was that Thomas would have been crucified if he publicly said he was in rebuilding mode. Donnie Walsh is the only front office guy in NY sports history that ever has gotten away with saying "I'm gonna suck for a few years to rebuild".

As much talent he compiled at different points no coach and it seemed like he ran the front office like Yahoo Fantasy Basketball.

franchize 05-19-2013 02:14 PM

Don't be fooled. Thomas still had a hand in us signing Amare and Melo. That being said, we'd have more talent on this team but it would be a lot of bad character guys. I'm not sure if Knickscity remember this, but I've ALWAYS like Lance's game. That being said, I wasn't upset we didn't pick him too much. Lance needs to be in a place like Indiana. I don't trust him living in NY. He's a head case and his dad is a bad influence. I have a strong feeling Lance would have been like DeMarcus Cousins if he was a Knick early on. He doesn't have the guaranteed contract of a Cousins though so he probably would have been cut. Larry Bird's mentoring really helped him. I worry what Lance would've done, at home in NY, with all the coaching changes we had.

I'm all for talent over leadership. End of the day, I think guys have to be talented before anything. That being said, you can't have a team full of knuckleheads. That's what Isaiah teams look like. I don't mind taking a chance on an Andray Blatche kinda guy every once in a while but you can't have a team FULL of them.

knickscity 05-19-2013 02:24 PM

The main issue I had with Isiah is his trades, not necessarily whom he traded for but what he gave up.

Noah and Aldridge were our picks in the Eddy Curry trade, and the Bulls had zero interest in re-signing Curry.

The way isiah built the team he was prepped for a free agency spree in the same year that wound up being the lockout....summer of 2011.

The team had talent, alot of redundant talent.

franchize 05-19-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
The main issue I had with Isiah is his trades, not necessarily whom he traded for but what he gave up.

Noah and Aldridge were our picks in the Eddy Curry trade, and the Bulls had zero interest in re-signing Curry.

The way isiah built the team he was prepped for a free agency spree in the same year that wound up being the lockout....summer of 2011.

The team had talent, alot of redundant talent.

In other words, he was the typical black man stereotype. He spent money frivolously on the same thing over and over.lol