Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT : How Long Should Children Live with Their Parents? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30201)

Heilige 02-14-2007 07:52 PM

OT : How Long Should Children Live with Their Parents?

So, I was talking with some people from college the other day and this came up.

One person believed that children should be forced out as soon as they have a full-time job, even if they are in a great amount of debt (school) and regardless of age. They felt that it “built character” as they would appreciate things more having struggled to get by.

Another person disagreed with this approach and believed that children should be allowed to live at home until they are financially able to leave on their own or they get married/move in with someone. Their reasoning was that their child had no reason to struggle when they are in a position to help them. So why would they want them too?

I thought it was interesting, as I’m getting too the age where I’ll be leaving home shortly but my parents would never “force” me to leave. I’m also in a large amount of debt due to University and my parents are of the belief that since they couldn’t help me with school, I should be able to stay with them until the financial burden is less strenuous.

Person one disagreed with this perception strongly, which made me feel rather lucky to be honest. It also left me wondering how many other people feel that way.

So, what side are you on?

Xsatyr 02-14-2007 08:00 PM

Re: OT : How Long Should Children Live with Their Parents?

I am 20 and I pay too much for school so there is no way I am moving out anytime soon. It would be nice though but oh well. I don't really have a good answer to your question though, I guess it depends on the circumstances. If the person is a lazy bum then something has to be done. Maybe when they have a career or when they are just financially stable? :confusedshrug:

reppy 02-14-2007 08:04 PM

Up until the age that they realize they should post topics like these in the Off the Court forum. Things like that show great decision making ability. :D

Real Men Wear Green 02-14-2007 08:07 PM

If your parents are ok with it and you can accept whatever rules they give you to live there, I guess you might as well stay. If I could bring girls to my mother's place I might not have moved out. Saving up money is a good thing, 'cuz once you're on your own you're going to get hit with a ton of bills. I wish I had had some savings when I moved out.

rezznor 02-14-2007 08:08 PM

i moved out at `18 but honestly, that set me back a bit. the freedom was nice, but it kept me from concentrating on school as much as i should have. i would have saved tens of thousands of dollars had i waited till i graduated to move out.

DatZNasty 02-14-2007 08:13 PM

I moved out at 21, am on my own now, but am moving back next month. My parents's house was humongous to begin with, but now my dad even built another add on. It'd really be ridiculous to only have 2 people in like 5000 sq ft of house

reppy 02-14-2007 08:14 PM

I moved out at 18. Came back a few months before I turned 20. Now I split the bills evenly with my mom straight down the middle. It's me, her, and my younger brother.

ClutchCityReturns 02-14-2007 08:14 PM

I still live at home, and although I'd rather have my own place (for obvious reasons), I'm also grateful that my parents are willing to help me out by giving me a place to stay. I'm a college graduate and recently started a full-time job, so I won't be staying here that much longer, I don't think. I still have a little debt and am not making tons of money or anything, so it'll be necessary to save for a while.

My parents would never kick me out though. Both of my older sisters stayed in the house at least as long as I have. No reason to throw your kids the wolves if it's going to cause them to go into debt and potentially ruin their financial future for years to come (and maybe forever). Just teach good values and talk to them about managing their money intelligently.

rezznor 02-14-2007 08:18 PM

also, for me, asian families actually encourage their kids to stay home for as long as possible, some even wait till they get married. it's not being a mommas boy or anything, its just a cultural thing. family is very important. my parents didnt want me to move out, but of course, i wanted to party and bring different girls home so i did. i have always been and probably always will be a sucker for pussy :hammerhead:

Tool 02-14-2007 08:20 PM

i moved out at 18, came crawling back when I turned 19. But I learned some valuable lessons that I probably wouldn't have living with a mother and sister.

Kblaze8855 02-14-2007 08:22 PM

I half moved out at 16 and was gone for good at 18. Wasnt asked t ogo. I just wanted my own place. which I really didnt get. me and some friends got together and got an apartment. Better than home though.

boozehound 02-14-2007 08:26 PM

It really depends on the culture. In many cultures, including our own once apon a time, the household unit was the extended family, not the nuclear. I think it is fine for a child to live with their parents as long as all parties are comfortable with it. In many urban british settings, it is common that you dont move out until you are married due to the cost and availability of housing. As long as the kid isnt a mooching deadbeat, as long as they want. If more people were willing to let their parents live with them later in life, there would be way less issues of elderly poor and so forth.

Heilige 02-14-2007 08:26 PM

I still realize that I'm in a good situation. I don't see why kids should just be thrown to the wolves but at the same time I absolutely hate people who don't realize how lucky they are. My parents are doing me a favour and I never forget it.

It's a favour I intend to pass onto my kids, which I feel is implied through my parents telling me that their parents also let them stay as long as they wanted. I for one think that’s a good tradition because school is only going to get more expensive in the future and if I can’t help pay for that schooling (which is doubtful) I would at least like to lend a hand when they pay it back.

Xsatyr 02-14-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatZNasty
I moved out at 21, am on my own now, but am moving back next month. My parents's house was humongous to begin with, but now my dad even built another add on. It'd really be ridiculous to only have 2 people in like 5000 sq ft of house

Well in that case, need a roommate? :cheers:

I won't waste much water, I only shower monthly.

Heilige 02-14-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

5000 sq ft? :cheers: Do you have pics of it?