Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Article: Steve Nash expects to be healthy for the Lakers next season (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303789)

lakerfreak 06-14-2013 06:13 PM

Article: Steve Nash expects to be healthy for the Lakers next season

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

This is nice, refreshing news. We can count on some people to return and be motivated to help this team as much as they can. This season might not be so bad after all.

DKLaker 06-14-2013 07:04 PM

Re: Article: Steve Nash expects to be healthy for the Lakers next season

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...tory?track=rss

This is nice, refreshing news. We can count on some people to return and be motivated to help this team as much as they can. This season might not be so bad after all.

I think your definition of bad and mine greatly differ sir. :oldlol:

kkinchen 06-15-2013 04:35 PM

Who cares? He is OLD and cant defend anyone. Plus he was really turnover prone this year, and cant stay healthy enough to play a high volume of games. TRADE HIS ASS. We need a young, quick, athletic BLACK point guard that can defend the CP3's, Westbrooks, and Tony Parkers we have in the Western Conference.

lakerfreak 06-15-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
I think your definition of bad and mine greatly differ sir. :oldlol:

For me, a good season is 50+ wins with a 2nd round appearance.

DKLaker 06-15-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Kobe would agree with me, the season you describe is failure, we are NOT the Hawks, Clippers, Bucks......or most of the NBA franchises.
If we had Kwame, Smush and that crew I would feel differently.

bladefd 06-15-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

For every other team, you're right. For Lakers, it is finals or failure. There is no middle-ground for Lakers.

daily 06-16-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd
For every other team, you're right. For Lakers, it is finals or failure. There is no middle-ground for Lakers.

Those days are gone. The new CBA took care of that. Until a newer more relaxed CBA is in place the Lakers have been financially neutered in the name of parity.

Trips to the playoffs and conference finals are or will be considered triumphs in the league. 2 or 3 year runs then total rebuilds will be more the norm as big money teams like the Lakers are forced to tear down to avoid the taxes they accumulate if they overspend for too long.

lakerfreak 06-16-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Kobe would agree with me, the season you describe is failure, we are NOT the Hawks, Clippers, Bucks......or most of the NBA franchises.
If we had Kwame, Smush and that crew I would feel differently.

Firstly, Kobe's an extremist :D

Secondly, sure our roster is much better than that of a Kwame, Smush, Cook, Mihm, etc....but its most certainly not a championship team either. Here are my reasons:

a) Nash, as a whole, has had a great career and nearly single handedly took some teams deep into the playoffs. Now he is 38 years old. He is still a pretty good point guard, but not championship caliber, unless of course he came off the bench. Not going to happen though.

b) Kobe Bryant, same as Nash. I don't think he will be entirely the same when he gets back. He has slowly declined so much that year by year, it doesn't look much different from the previous year. But when you look back to the last time they won a championship, he was much better than he is now. This injury has pretty much cemented the decline. He is still a championship level player, but not as a superstar. He'd win championships with one or two superstars on the team that are ahead of him as far as command.

c) Pau Gasol is a very good player, but his constant failure of toughening up in the playoffs has cost us and it has been very expensive.

d) Dwight is leaving, and if he doesn't leave, I doubt that both, laker fans and himself will recover from all the crap. Would you be best friends again with your ex best friend who screwed your wife or gf? I would think not. He's done here.

So with this being unnecessarily debated, why SHOULD this team be considered championship caliber? It can be pretty good DK. I just can't see this current roster winning.

DKLaker 06-16-2013 11:33 AM

First and foremost, you have to spend your money wisely.
You have to have a REAL NBA head coach to lead the team.
I guarantee you that if you gave me a car twice as fast as the competition I couldn't win a NASCAR race....so the idiot who put that moron 'Antoni in charge of the most talented Lakers team in history, has himself to blame for failure.

Of course this Lakers team can win a championship, all they need is a real coach and a few minor additions such a shooters. We were considered a near lock to make the finals when the season started.....the talent didn't change, the coaching just failed. It would be like me as a failed NASCAR driver blaming the great car I was foolishly given.
Switch teams, give 'Antoni the Spurs and Coach Pop the Lakers this year.....Spurs would've missed the playoffs and Lakers would be in the finals.
Kobe wouldn't have been worn down to the ground, Dwight would be in the low post dominating.

The CBA will have absolutely nothing to do with the Lakers future ability to dominate. Having an idiot for an owner and an incompetent coach will.

Robster89 06-16-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

I guarantee you that if you gave me a car twice as fast as the competition I couldn't win a NASCAR race....so the idiot who put that moron 'Antoni in charge of the most talented Lakers team in history, has himself to blame for failure.

Of course this Lakers team can win a championship, all they need is a real coach and a few minor additions such a shooters. We were considered a near lock to make the finals when the season started.....the talent didn't change, the coaching just failed. It would be like me as a failed NASCAR driver blaming the great car I was foolishly given.
Switch teams, give 'Antoni the Spurs and Coach Pop the Lakers this year.....Spurs would've missed the playoffs and Lakers would be in the finals.
Kobe wouldn't have been worn down to the ground, Dwight would be in the low post dominating.

The CBA will have absolutely nothing to do with the Lakers future ability to dominate. Having an idiot for an owner and an incompetent coach will.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

lakerfreak 06-17-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

You do bring up a good point. Nothing is said here that I don't agree with. However you are discussing the team of the 12-13 season. I am discussing the future. I believe age has factored in even more this upcoming season and that it would now take more than just a great coach, to bring this team over the hump. One more major injury and Kobe is done. I don't care what kind of "final chapter" propaganda he's making here. He cannot play the same way or he will end his career before we want him to. If that happens, no championships until our next savior comes in.

DKLaker 06-17-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

You do bring up a good point. Nothing is said here that I don't agree with. However you are discussing the team of the 12-13 season. I am discussing the future. I believe age has factored in even more this upcoming season and that it would now take more than just a great coach, to bring this team over the hump. One more major injury and Kobe is done. I don't care what kind of "final chapter" propaganda he's making here. He cannot play the same way or he will end his career before we want him to. If that happens, no championships until our next savior comes in.

I AM taking about the upcoming season.....a coach who knows the game and how to coach in the NBA plus a couple shooters is all this team needs to win a title. ANY player in the NBA could be 1 injury away from ending or diminishing their career....How old was Oden, Derrick Rose, Bynum etc...
Kobe CAN play the same way, just no as many minitues as dumbass played him to lead to injury. I feel that no matter what happens that we have as much talent ad the Spurs.....but absolutely no coaching.

lakerfreak 06-19-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

I AM taking about the upcoming season.....a coach who knows the game and how to coach in the NBA plus a couple shooters is all this team needs to win a title. ANY player in the NBA could be 1 injury away from ending or diminishing their career....How old was Oden, Derrick Rose, Bynum etc...
Kobe CAN play the same way, just no as many minitues as dumbass played him to lead to injury. I feel that no matter what happens that we have as much talent ad the Spurs.....but absolutely no coaching.

Another good point as well but I can make the argument that San Antonio has been the same exact for a decade. Pop probably doesn't even need to coach these guys because of how comfortable they are with each other.

And bear in mind who has been shouldering the success for the spurs. Green with his "out of mind" three point performance, and the Leonards and Neals of the team. Its a good young supporting cast. We don't have a good young supporting cast like that. Earl Clark has been up and down, Jodie Meeks is inconsistent....

Thats the difference between them I think.

DKLaker 06-20-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Another good point as well but I can make the argument that San Antonio has been the same exact for a decade. Pop probably doesn't even need to coach these guys because of how comfortable they are with each other.

And bear in mind who has been shouldering the success for the spurs. Green with his "out of mind" three point performance, and the Leonards and Neals of the team. Its a good young supporting cast. We don't have a good young supporting cast like that. Earl Clark has been up and down, Jodie Meeks is inconsistent....

Thats the difference between them I think.

I don't think you understand what the Spurs do. The Spurs work HARD to develop young players. They give EVERYONE serious minutes during the season. They do this because among other things it allows their veterans to rest, it allows them to keep their payroll down to have guys making 200k play as well as opponents guys who make 5 million. It also boosts their trade value which keeps the Spurs at the top. The Spurs spend big money on quality scouts, it shows and it pays off.

As for the Spurs being the same for years???? 3 guys? The rest of the guys who have been playing key roles over the years always change, to say Pop doesn't have to coach the team is one of the most off target things you have ever said. The Spurs bench would look the same as our....or worse if not for coaching and consistent playing time.
Do you really think any of our players is learning anything from our incompetent coach......ask Amare what he learned from the dimwit.
'Antoni makes players worse not better.

bladefd 06-20-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

I don't think you understand what the Spurs do. The Spurs work HARD to develop young players. They give EVERYONE serious minutes during the season. They do this because among other things it allows their veterans to rest, it allows them to keep their payroll down to have guys making 200k play as well as opponents guys who make 5 million. It also boosts their trade value which keeps the Spurs at the top. The Spurs spend big money on quality scouts, it shows and it pays off.

Quick story on that. A friend of mine in his late 20s plays basketball on the streets (never played on NCAA stage). He also played in some minor leagues someplace. He wanted to tryout for NBA teams to see if he could get even an opportunity. He sent a tape of his moves and game to every nba team.

Out of every team, only ~5 teams got back to him. Nobody called him to speak with him except for one team. The San Antonio Spurs. One of their scout members spoke with him for over one hour on the phone. They asked him everything about who he is, what his life goals are, and what he plans on doing. They asked him questions about his basketball knowledge and what he would do under certain scenarios. At the end, they told him to keep working at it and basically said no.

But think about it - NO OTHER TEAM spoke with him but Spurs. And ONE HOUR conversation! This guy is off the streets working at some gas station with visa problems. Spurs take the time to speak with him. Most other teams don't even take the time to respond to his tape and handwritten letters. This shows you how top-notch the Spurs organization and their scouting department is.

This is exactly how they find guys like Danny green, Neal, Ginobili, etc. These no-namers that other teams pass up.