Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The floater... learn it (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304028)

Swaggin916 06-17-2013 01:55 AM

The floater... learn it
 
I haven't learned this just from watching Parker, Rose, Wade, Jamison and other players who use it efficiently... but it's just the perfect shot. It takes shot blockers out of the equation, it conserves the body from the pounding you take by driving all the way, nobody knows when exactly you will flip it up keeping them off balance, and it conserves energy. Since I have developed a consistent floater, my game has been expanded to new levels. Also, it's fun to practice. I like just messing around and throwing up floaters from like 15 feet out just to help with my touch... and floaters definitely do help with your touch. If you haven't learned how to be effective with this shot yet, I highly recommend putting in some time and learning it.

Shade8780 06-17-2013 08:21 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
I've decided to start learning this move. Once you master it, it literally becomes unblockable. It's like a guards sky hook.

CeltsGarlic 06-17-2013 09:06 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
dont

unless youre basically a pro.
Its very hard to get that feel for this shot, and even if you think you have it, you still dont.

9512 06-17-2013 10:59 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Does DeJuan Blair use it too?

check the 1:23 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTzfx...a9zSpv-vJBiGbA

Diegio 06-17-2013 11:11 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
It's one of the best finishing moves for a guard but it's also one of the hardest to master.

Rake2204 06-17-2013 12:25 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
dont

unless youre basically a pro.
Its very hard to get that feel for this shot, and even if you think you have it, you still dont.

I'm not quite that extreme in my feelings for the floater, but I'm in the same ballpark.

I personally don't think one can go wrong with developing a floater. That said, in terms of developmental priorities, as a coach, it's not at the top or middle of my list in terms of things I'd teach my players (or myself). I say this because the floater is a very specialized shot. You may ask, why do the likes of Tony Parker, Mike Conley, and Dwyane Wade use the floater so frequently? I'd say it's largely due to the fact they're playing against NBA level defensive schemes every night in which they have 24 seconds to try to score over the top of an opposing squad likely featuring numerous players standing 6'9'' or taller (with impressive verticals and wingspans) who all happen to be clogging up the paint.

For normal folk, often facing no one standing taller than 6'6'' (outside of the occasional sloth bigs), I think there's just way more effective options than settling for a float piece in most occasions. My little brother has showcased one of the detriments of a floater focus. He's 15 and he's gone the floater route due to the Parker and Conley influence. As mentioned, it's very tough to master so his floater's accuracy struggles. On top of that, it's his go-to shot in the paint. When he's driving, his order or operations is going:

1) Floater
2) Pull Up Jumper
3) Challenge for layup

And I think that's my issue. I feel the floater, for most people, should be a last resort but too often, it becomes the primary means for a player to try to finish off a drive. They begin looking to use it all the time instead of waiting for the right moment. Suddenly open layups or jumpers become unnecessary floater launches. I've lately been working to break my brother of that habit, because he looks ridiculous and it's harming his effectiveness.

I say work on getting to the rim and finishing strong. Then work on developing a silky and stable pull up jump shot. From there, I'd support working on the third option - the floater. I say just be weary of over-complicating matters. Like that guy who wants to turn every play into a double pump reverse - sometimes it's best to keep things simple.

Pushxx 06-17-2013 12:54 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
I dunno why people think it's so difficult.

It's not super high percentage but because defense doesn't affect it much, it's a very consistent shot. Good to have in your arsenal.

Rake2204 06-17-2013 01:51 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushxx
I dunno why people think it's so difficult.

It's not super high percentage but because defense doesn't affect it much, it's a very consistent shot. Good to have in your arsenal.

Right. It can surely be harnessed but as others mentioned it can be difficult to master. That's why I feel it's a worthy shot to develop but should not be readily replacing finishing at the hoop or pull up jumpers. Instead, it should be a complement or addition to those move possibilities. And I think most would agree to that idea, it just seems some begin overly relying on the float piece when easier and more effective options may have been available.

I guess to put it another way, if Tony Parker came to a random open gym or street court, I trust you'd see his floater tendency plummet, meaning he'd be firing a much smaller number of those and a much higher number of the easier shots he'd be provided - layups and easy jumpers. I believe Parker currently shoots numerous floaters because at times it's his only logical option against stifling NBA defenses - not because he just loves the idea of them. So again, I think it's a good shot to have in the repertoire, but for the average player, I do not envision a ton of offensive scenarios where it'd be the only logical (and highest percentage) option.

01amberfirewv 06-21-2013 02:08 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
It's just a layup from distance

Swaggin916 06-28-2013 08:25 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
I understand your point rake and if one can be effective going to the rack and finishing with less technical stuff then by all means... But as 5'10 guy with not much speed, vertical, or balance (I am sure I am not alone here with that) I feel it's a must to develop. My layup game is absolutely horrendous the amount of good looks I get and miss is unbelievable... I played the other day and literally missed every one. Having small hands makes layups harder too. With floaters it does not discriminate lol. Also I must admit I am not that aggressive and would prefer to avoid a bunch of contact be wuss like I said my balance is a joke and if I get hit I am likely going down. I am very coordinated but my balance is just atrocious. Plus it's the little mans way of saying **** you big man block this! Ha you can't :D

Pushxx 07-01-2013 02:05 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I understand your point rake and if one can be effective going to the rack and finishing with less technical stuff then by all means... But as 5'10 guy with not much speed, vertical, or balance (I am sure I am not alone here with that) I feel it's a must to develop. My layup game is absolutely horrendous the amount of good looks I get and miss is unbelievable... I played the other day and literally missed every one. Having small hands makes layups harder too. With floaters it does not discriminate lol. Also I must admit I am not that aggressive and would prefer to avoid a bunch of contact be wuss like I said my balance is a joke and if I get hit I am likely going down. I am very coordinated but my balance is just atrocious. Plus it's the little mans way of saying **** you big man block this! Ha you can't :D


My dude. You gotta practice your layups...you can't blame small hands on offense unless you are dunking or catching the ball.

Swaggin916 07-04-2013 04:27 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushxx
My dude. You gotta practice your layups...you can't blame small hands on offense unless you are dunking or catching the ball.


You are right I do. It's never been my game therefore it's one of the weakest aspects of it.

Straight_Ballin 07-05-2013 03:25 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
First move I ever perfected. I remember bigs being yelled at because they couldn't stop it. One guy said "how can I stop it when I can't even SEE it before its too late" lol

Lebron23 07-07-2013 09:12 PM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
This is my go to move.

inclinerator 07-09-2013 12:17 AM

Re: The floater... learn it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
First move I ever perfected. I remember bigs being yelled at because they couldn't stop it. One guy said "how can I stop it when I can't even SEE it before its too late" lol

riiiight


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy