Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Knicks 2013 NBA Draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305230)

insidehoops 06-24-2013 03:53 AM

Knicks 2013 NBA Draft

With Carmelo Anthony designated as their power forward of the future, the Knicks feel they can use more than just another pure point guard when the NBA Draft arrives on Thursday.

Last season’s decision to switch Anthony to the four has opened up a hole for a genuine small forward/shooting guard who can defend and shoot the 3-pointer. The Knicks averaged just 88 points in the playoffs, and feel they need another perimeter scoring option.

Considering their point-guard-less roster following the retirement of Jason Kidd — now the coach of the Nets — it will be a vexing decision to pass on a pure point guard such as South Dakota State’s Nate Wolters with the 24th pick.

-- NY Post

franchize 06-24-2013 08:53 AM

Re: Knicks 2013 NBA Draft

A "vexing" decision to pass up on a guy who everyone expects to go in the 2nd round? :wtf:

And I think the bigger problem is the very 1st sentence. Why is Carmelo Anthony being designated as our PF of the future.

Nate Wolters isn't a terrible pick though. He kind of reminds me of Jason Williams (the white one). Wouldn't be my pick but there are worse players we are rumored to be looking at.

bluechox2 06-24-2013 10:01 AM

we are cutting melos bball life in half

franchize 06-24-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluechox2
we are cutting melos bball life in half

I'm honestly starting to feel bad for him. Well as bad as you can feel for someone making 21 mill. He would have been better off going to the Nets lol

el gringos 06-26-2013 05:52 AM

But it still doesn't make any sense to you to play a pf that can shoot with Carmelo but take gaurding a pf out of Carmelo's requirements

Draft is looking like Archie Goodwin will be bpa at 24

franchize 06-26-2013 09:07 AM

I don't see any congruence between our coach's philosophy and our GM's direction. Sure we set a record for 3's made, but we only really have one lights out shooter on the roster. Then, we go small, but we don't have anywhere close to elite guards...so what mismatches are we really creating. Tyler Hansbrouh was able to guard Jason Kidd in the playoffs, which means Paul George can still guard Melo. Conversely, Melo has to guard David West. I just don't get where the hell Grunwald or Woodson's thought process is. It seems like the only thing they agree on is that they want veterans. But I think that's moreso because they don't want to have to worry about immaturity and aren't willing to put in the work to develop a player.

Blue&Orange 06-26-2013 09:20 AM

The only way Melo gets to play PF next season is if Amare gets injured again, you know that guy that was top15 in PER this year despite starting to play after only 3 practices.

The underrating of Stat is hilarious. It must be burning him inside.

Rameek 06-26-2013 11:50 AM

That isnt how the article went... its a salacious snippet :rolleyes: :facepalm

Quote:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...s4LmCG8 xaCIL

With Carmelo Anthony designated as their power forward of the future, the Knicks feel they can use more than just another pure point guard when the NBA Draft arrives on Thursday.

Last season’s decision to switch Anthony to the four has opened up a hole for a genuine small forward/shooting guard who can defend and shoot the 3-pointer. The Knicks averaged just 88 points in the playoffs, and feel they need another perimeter scoring option.

Considering their point-guard-less roster following the retirement of Jason Kidd — now the coach of the Nets — it will be a vexing decision to pass on a pure point guard such as South Dakota State’s Nate Wolters with the 24th pick.

But if the right swingman falls to them who can shoot the 3 and defend, they will snap him up. With Anthony at power forward, they never had a genuine starting small forward, which is why they started two point guards last season.

“They are looking for help on the perimeter,’’ said one person briefed on the Knicks’ draft strategy. “A small forward would be nice. They lost to Indiana and got outrebounded, but Tyson Chandler wasn’t right. They feel they can get a big man in free agency.’’

The swingmen on their radar are Michigan’s Tim Hardaway Jr., California shooting guard Allen Crabbe, North Carolina’s Reggie Bullock and New Mexico’s Tony Snell.

Wolters, the 6-foot-4 point guard, has intrigued them too. He likely will be the only pure point guard left by the time they select. If they go the point-guard route, they want a playmaker, not a scoring point guard such as undersized Isaiah Canaan of Murray State.

Their preference of having Miami point guard Shane Larkin fall to them at 24 is a pipe dream. Agent Happy Walters refused to have Larkin work out for the Knicks because he believes his client won’t fall past 19.

Of Wolters, NBA draft consultant Chris Ekstrand said: “He’s got great floor vision — able to see plays before they happen — innate point-guard instincts. The problem is his foot speed. But you’ll see him make a lot of passes guys can’t make, and his perimeter shot is very good.

“He’s got a lot of boxes checked, but he’s just not that fast. But neither was Steve Nash.’’

At small forward, Bullock could be a good fit. Ryan Blake, another NBA draft consultant, said the UNC junior is more NBA-ready, coming out of the Tar Heels environment.

“He’s got that big-time experience, he defends and hits 44 percent of his 3-pointers,’’ Blake said. “The only knock is you’d like to see him be more aggressive as a scorer.’’

However, one Eastern Conference scout said Bullock doesn’t have the ability to create his own shot, but adds he’s “tough’’ and an “excellent spot-up shooter.’’

There are no offensive worries about Crabbe.

“He can be one of the lethal outside shooters,’’ Blake said. “He’s a pretty smooth player, 6-6, strong, good size.’’

However, one team executive called Crabbe “a below-average defender.’’

Hardaway is a bigger name who has experience in big moments.

“He’s a catch-and-shoot type of kid,’’ Ekstrand said. “There’s nothing similar to his father. He’s a catch-and-shoot type of kid who’s going to play off the ball his whole career. His future is on how consistent he shoots the ball from the perimeter.’’

Snell is a smooth scorer who can “put it on the floor with the best of any of them and create his own shot.’’

Glen Rice Jr., of Georgia Tech, son of the former Knick, worked out for the Knicks, but appears a reach at 24.

With the point- guard group looking slim when the Knicks’ pick comes up, Mike Woodson, a defensive coach, is primed to add perimeter offense, especially since J.R. Smith is no guarantee to re-sign.

Rameek 06-26-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
I don't see any congruence between our coach's philosophy and our GM's direction. Sure we set a record for 3's made, but we only really have one lights out shooter on the roster. Then, we go small, but we don't have anywhere close to elite guards...so what mismatches are we really creating. Tyler Hansbrouh was able to guard Jason Kidd in the playoffs, which means Paul George can still guard Melo. Conversely, Melo has to guard David West. I just don't get where the hell Grunwald or Woodson's thought process is. It seems like the only thing they agree on is that they want veterans. But I think that's moreso because they don't want to have to worry about immaturity and aren't willing to put in the work to develop a player.

Bingo! They need a legit PF and move Melo back to the SF spot. There are so many holes on this roster they have to find the best ready to play NBA player at any position. I prefer a PF would settle for SF invite some of those suspect PG's to summer league.

Woody and his staff are going to have to suck it up and actually help this team develop and improve their own players. Which they never seem to do.

el gringos 06-26-2013 07:21 PM

Dubljevic and Ryan Kelly and maybe Kenny kadji look like big men that could fit but need to acquire a 2nd rd pick. None could be worth a 1st could they

Knicks need to take advantage of "week draft" and trade in. I usually think too many rookies is a bad idea but this expected roster could handle 3 or even 4

Rameek 06-26-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
Dubljevic and Ryan Kelly and maybe Kenny kadji look like big men that could fit but need to acquire a 2nd rd pick. None could be worth a 1st could they

Knicks need to take advantage of "week draft" and trade in. I usually think too many rookies is a bad idea but this expected roster could handle 3 or even 4

No if they have 3-4 that almost guarantees they would have to be in the rotation. At most 1 or 2. Not many teams like the Spurs can get away with stuff like that and play at a high level.

JoHnNyBoXeR 06-27-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
The only way Melo gets to play PF next season is if Amare gets injured again, you know that guy that was top15 in PER this year despite starting to play after only 3 practices.

The underrating of Stat is hilarious. It must be burning him inside.

hes also top 30 PER all time for his career... STAT has always been a beast .. he was averaging 13 or 14 points playing 20 mins a game.. They said he couldnt play without NAsh and the year Amare left they went from a WCF appearance to not even making the playoffs .. STats a beast