Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Whats the longest you've been layed up for? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305480)

01amberfirewv 06-26-2013 02:29 PM

Whats the longest you've been layed up for?

Think I tore my pec muscle benching yesterday so I'll probably be down all summer. Things have been going pretty well for me on the court but now that I'll be down for a while I worry that I'll be starting all over again

Pushxx 06-26-2013 09:21 PM

Re: Whats the longest you've been layed up for?

One time I dislocated my left thumb...every time it was barely healthy enough to play, I would somehow reinjure it.

I had the most tender and sensitive thumb for like 6 months. It sucked, but I dealt with it because I wanted to ball so much. It's not my most serious injury or anything.

Rake2204 06-27-2013 08:37 AM

Maybe three months? I ruptured a tendon in my hand while playing back in 2007ish and the subsequent surgery kept me out for a while.

More recently, I took around eight weeks off back toward the beginning of winter after I developed tendinitis in my elbow at the same time I apparently pulled an adductor muscle near my groin (unless it was a sports hernia instead or something). Both of those happened at nearly the same time so with summer ball coming to a close, I decided to step back for a few. Bad Choice. I think I'm still paying for that now.

01amberfirewv 06-27-2013 09:13 PM

Still don't know how long I'm out but I'm worried about losing what I've gained over the last few years

Rake2204 06-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Still don't know how long I'm out but I'm worried about losing what I've gained over the last few years

Yeah, that's always the worst part. Will you be able to run at all? That'd at least help cushion the blow a little.

Swaggin916 06-28-2013 07:09 PM

Like a year due to chronic knee tendinitis... That was after like a year of playing with it only being able to play like 75%. After a year I just gave in and accepted it.

01amberfirewv 06-28-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
Yeah, that's always the worst part. Will you be able to run at all? That'd at least help cushion the blow a little.

We have a pretty good eliptical that I can use. I was starting to do some HIIT with basketball specific exercise that seemed to be working pretty well. I just wonder how long it will take to get my shot and handle back to where they were after missing a while

TheReturn 07-01-2013 07:53 AM

6 weeks when I ****ed up my ankle, and that was torture to me.

CeltsGarlic 07-02-2013 11:02 AM

Once I made a lay up at the buzzer from almost a 3 point line.

imdaman99 07-03-2013 02:37 PM

i fractured my leg. and i played on it next week because i thought it was just a sprain, of course i was hopping around on 1 leg. i was young and stupid, i eventually went to the hospital 2-3 weeks later. this totally f'ed up my summer about 9-10 years back. of course fractures heal quick and on their own, so i was playing about 3 months later.

Rake2204 07-04-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn
6 weeks when I ****ed up my ankle, and that was torture to me.

Bummer. I just sprained my ankle as well. It became very swollen but it seems to be improving rapidly day by day. Could you walk on yours after the first day?

Straight_Ballin 07-05-2013 02:38 AM

Out 1.5 years with plantar faciattis. That's what happens when you ball on concrete 4 days a week running 15 miles a week for 4 years straight. Sucked but damn it was a hell of a 4 year run.