Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lakers Draft Ryan Kelly (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305774)

dd24 06-28-2013 05:28 AM

Lakers Draft Ryan Kelly

For a 2nd round pick I like it. Typically 2nd rounders don't make it in the league, but at least Kelly can shoot which gives him a chance. Stretch 4's are pretty valuable in today's game so I can see what they were thinking. It's worth the gamble to see if his game can translate to the next level. The Lakers desperately need shooters. I'm sure he'll be on the roster just because it's a cheap contract. The Lakers do tend to keep their 2nd round picks for a couple years then get rid of them.

lakerfreak 06-28-2013 06:49 AM

Re: Lakers Draft Ryan Kelly

Sounds like a Ryan Andersen type of player to me. But they say he's also a good shot blocker. In the NBA its harder to play defense but if he can shoot 40+ % threes in college, he can shoot anywhere.

DKLaker 06-28-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Sounds like a Ryan Andersen type of player to me. But they say he's also a good shot blocker. In the NBA its harder to play defense but if he can shoot 40+ % threes in college, he can shoot anywhere.

Very good player but I don't love this pick. Ryan has had major foot problems and I think he still has screws in his foot, so if he can stay on the court he'll be slow, too slow to guard his position. The 3pt line is deeper in the NBA and he won't get the open looks he got in college.
What this draft pick really speaks to is that he will be Pau's replacement if he does well or if we trade Pau. I would think this may even mean the Lakers will not have both Dwight and Pau this season.....one or neither.

I would've preferred the Lakers picked up a PG or if not, a defensive SF rather than a stretch 4.

The Lakers just named Mark Madsen head of player development.......WTF? As much as I love Mad Dog as a person, he should not be in this position.......did HE develop as a player.....even a tiny bit....NO!!! Does he know how to develop players NO!!!!! Has he ever improved any players game NO!!!!
This is just another case of Jimmy Buss not taking scouting or development seriously, he gave Madsen the job because he is such a great, classy person.

dd24 06-28-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
Very good player but I don't love this pick. Ryan has had major foot problems and I think he still has screws in his foot, so if he can stay on the court he'll be slow, too slow to guard his position. The 3pt line is deeper in the NBA and he won't get the open looks he got in college.
What this draft pick really speaks to is that he will be Pau's replacement if he does well or if we trade Pau. I would think this may even mean the Lakers will not have both Dwight and Pau this season.....one or neither.

I would've preferred the Lakers picked up a PG or if not, a defensive SF rather than a stretch 4.

The Lakers just named Mark Madsen head of player development.......WTF? As much as I love Mad Dog as a person, he should not be in this position.......did HE develop as a player.....even a tiny bit....NO!!! Does he know how to develop players NO!!!!! Has he ever improved any players game NO!!!!
This is just another case of Jimmy Buss not taking scouting or development seriously, he gave Madsen the job because he is such a great, classy person.

I actually think it was smarter not drafting a PG. There's two that went undrafted and they now have a chance to go after. It was Myck Kabongo and Seth Curry. I'd rather have Kelly than those two. A late 2nd rounder has a very slim chance of making an impact anyhow. I don't see Kelly as a Pau replacement. I just see him as a stretch 4 that might be able to play a role for 5-10 minutes to take some pressure off of whoever may be in the paint (which is probably Pau now).

What this pick does show me is the Lakers are more invested into 'antoni than we thought. I'm super scared now. They're going after 'antoni types of players. Kelly really feels like a guy that 'antoni wanted. This is going to end up being a pretty major rebuild. I think it means Dwight is gone for sure. He's probably thinking Dallas, which if you think about it is a place that Brandon Jennings could end up. There's a guy who can take as many shots as Kobe. Wouldn't it be funny if those two ended up playing together?

dd24 06-28-2013 01:37 PM

It looks like most of the other 2nd rounders of the Lakers are probably gone.

Quote:

Kupchak also added the Lakers won't provide qualifying offers to seldom-used reserves Darius Morris, Andrew Goudelock and Devin Ebanks. But he said Morris is still invited to play for their Las Vegas Summer League team. Los Angeles Daily News

Also Kelly might not play in Summer League.
Quote:

Serena Winters: Ryan Kelly does not know if he will play in Summer League. Twitter

kkinchen 06-28-2013 05:07 PM

So what roster are we looking at next year?

Nash/Blake/Duhon
Bryant/Meeks
Metta/Jamison
Gasol/Clark/Kelly
Howard/Hill/Sacre

We need to significantly improve the quality of defenders we have on the perimeter. The fact is that having Nash and Metta both on the floor made our perimeter defense a joke.

If I was Mitch I would trade Nash and Duhon, and amnesty Metta for sure. We have to let Jamison walk too. We can find another point guard to run D'Antoni's offense that can also hold their own defensively. And we can maybe use some small lineups on the perimeter with Bryant if we can get Iggy or JR Smith or Monta Ellis.

dd24 06-28-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkinchen
So what roster are we looking at next year?

Nash/Blake/Duhon
Bryant/Meeks
Metta/Jamison
Gasol/Clark/Kelly
Howard/Hill/Sacre

We need to significantly improve the quality of defenders we have on the perimeter. The fact is that having Nash and Metta both on the floor made our perimeter defense a joke.

If I was Mitch I would trade Nash and Duhon, and amnesty Metta for sure. We have to let Jamison walk too. We can find another point guard to run D'Antoni's offense that can also hold their own defensively. And we can maybe use some small lineups on the perimeter with Bryant if we can get Iggy or JR Smith or Monta Ellis.

I would remove Howard from that list. I don't see the Lakers firing 'antoni in the next few days. Gasol will be the C. This might be the year the Lakers are back in the lottery, depending on Kobe's health. Things really don't look good right now. At least the draft is excellent next year, and the Lakers will have a ton of cap space to rebuild fast. The funny part is, this all goes back to David Stern killing that CP3 trade.

DKLaker 06-28-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I actually think it was smarter not drafting a PG. There's two that went undrafted and they now have a chance to go after. It was Myck Kabongo and Seth Curry. I'd rather have Kelly than those two. A late 2nd rounder has a very slim chance of making an impact anyhow. I don't see Kelly as a Pau replacement. I just see him as a stretch 4 that might be able to play a role for 5-10 minutes to take some pressure off of whoever may be in the paint (which is probably Pau now).

What this pick does show me is the Lakers are more invested into 'antoni than we thought. I'm super scared now. They're going after 'antoni types of players. Kelly really feels like a guy that 'antoni wanted. This is going to end up being a pretty major rebuild. I think it means Dwight is gone for sure. He's probably thinking Dallas, which if you think about it is a place that Brandon Jennings could end up. There's a guy who can take as many shots as Kobe. Wouldn't it be funny if those two ended up playing together?

Yeah, it is very clearly an 'Antoni pick. I am so fed up with the moron Jimmy Buss and the clueless direction of this team. Right now I feel no hope for this franchise, we seriously may as well clean house including Kobe if we are going to keep 'Antoni. Get below the cap, get lottery picks and take it from there.
Yep, I can easily see my Lakers turning into my ugh....Raiders to the point that kids won't even remember or believe they used to be good.....much less great.

dd24 06-28-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it is very clearly an 'Antoni pick. I am so fed up with the moron Jimmy Buss and the clueless direction of this team. Right now I feel no hope for this franchise, we seriously may as well clean house including Kobe if we are going to keep 'Antoni. Get below the cap, get lottery picks and take it from there.
Yep, I can easily see my Lakers turning into my ugh....Raiders to the point that kids won't even remember or believe they used to be good.....much less great.

If the Lakers let Kobe go I would be extremely disappointed. Even though I don't like the Celtics it's still weird to see Paul Pierce being traded. It's such a rare thing for a player to stay with one team for their career anymore. I agree about the lottery picks though. Right now is the time to go for them.

OldTerp 06-28-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

If the Lakers let Kobe go I would be extremely disappointed. Even though I don't like the Celtics it's still weird to see Paul Pierce being traded. It's such a rare thing for a player to stay with one team for their career anymore. I agree about the lottery picks though. Right now is the time to go for them.

I think 2014 could be a great year to rebuild if Dwight walks. We should try and sign and trade him to a team with Cap room. If they have Cap space we will not have to take back any contracts, but could receive 1st rounders potentially 2014. If we could move Pau for picks and expirers I would do that as well. Sit Kobe for the entire season and hope for the best in the lottery. Regardless of what happens with the picks we will have a ton of Cap space for an excellent 2014 free agent class.

DKLaker 06-29-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTerp
I think 2014 could be a great year to rebuild if Dwight walks. We should try and sign and trade him to a team with Cap room. If they have Cap space we will not have to take back any contracts, but could receive 1st rounders potentially 2014. If we could move Pau for picks and expirers I would do that as well. Sit Kobe for the entire season and hope for the best in the lottery. Regardless of what happens with the picks we will have a ton of Cap space for an excellent 2014 free agent class.

Kobe sit for the entire season???? He wouldn't go for that if you doubled his salary.

OldTerp 06-29-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Kobe sit for the entire season???? He wouldn't go for that if you doubled his salary.

He might if there was no Pau or D12. By mid season we should be in last place. Besides last time a checked management runs the team not Kobe. If they say he sits he sits. While he deserves a lot of respect at this point in his career he has no leverage and sitting the entire season is best for the team and his chances at another ring.

dd24 06-29-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

He might if there was no Pau or D12. By mid season we should be in last place. Besides last time a checked management runs the team not Kobe. If they say he sits he sits. While he deserves a lot of respect at this point in his career he has no leverage and sitting the entire season is best for the team and his chances at another ring.

There's no way either he or management would do that. Kobe isn't A-rod. If the Lakers put a horrible team on the floor the ticket sales will drop dramatically. There's too much to do in this town, and throw in the fact that you could go to a Clippers game who will have a winning team and they're really going to be forced to have Kobe out there to put people in the seats. As soon as Kobe says he's ready he'll be on the court. It would be up to him if he wanted to take his time, kind of like Derrick Rose did.

OldTerp 06-29-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

There's no way either he or management would do that. Kobe isn't A-rod. If the Lakers put a horrible team on the floor the ticket sales will drop dramatically. There's too much to do in this town, and throw in the fact that you could go to a Clippers game who will have a winning team and they're really going to be forced to have Kobe out there to put people in the seats. As soon as Kobe says he's ready he'll be on the court. It would be up to him if he wanted to take his time, kind of like Derrick Rose did.

News Flash! They will be putting a horrible team on the floor wether he plays or not. Dwight is most likely gone and D'Antoni will still be the coach.

dd24 06-29-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

News Flash! They will be putting a horrible team on the floor wether he plays or not. Dwight is most likely gone and D'Antoni will still be the coach.

I never said it would be a good team, but news flash!!! Kobe puts butts in seats regardless. This is a business. Kobe makes them money. He'll play when he feels ready.