Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Top 10 GOAT non-QBs? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306639)

fpliii 07-05-2013 05:34 PM

Top 10 GOAT non-QBs?

Who you got?

-p.tiddy- 07-05-2013 09:56 PM

Re: Top 10 GOAT non-QBs?

mine

1. Jim Brown
2. Jerry Rice
3. Walter Payton
4. Reggie White
5. Joe Greene

somewhere around 8-10 would be Deion Sanders

Jackass18 07-06-2013 03:16 AM

It's hard to compare offensive players to defensive players as is comparing anyone to a lineman, and even more difficult to compare players from different eras. Career vs. peak performance is also difficult to evaluate. Any list will have plenty of personal bias in it, and also different criteria and how much value gets placed on each. Personally, I think people put way, way too much value on super bowl rings. If we're talking teams, then fine, put some emphasis there, but individual players?

Jerry Rice would certainly go up there. Don Hutson was probably the most dominate player of any era, but how do I compare him to Rice? Those are the only 2 WRs I'd consider for a high spot, and I wouldn't consider any TEs. OL is difficult to judge. Munoz might have been the GOAT OL, but I wouldn't put him in the top 10. There's 4 or 5 RBs to consider for a fairly high spot: Dickerson, Smith, Sanders, Brown and Payton. Dickerson probably gets cut first since injuries shortened his career and he didn't have 9+ really good seasons like the other 4. As for Brown, I don't think he would have been as good in a later time period than when he played, but that's speculation on my part. Still though, I'd consider him and Payton over the others. My top 10 in no particular order:

Jerry Rice
Don Hutson
Walter Payton
Jim Brown
Reggie White
Alan Page
Bruce Smith
Lawrence Taylor
Ronnie Lott
Rod Woodson

Those '70s Steelers defenses were so stacked I'm not sure I could single out 1 single guy to throw in the top 10.
Dick "Night Train" Lane was another guy to consider, but the passing game and rules were so different back then. You could tackle a guy by his helmet in his day.

Carbine 07-07-2013 09:58 AM

They were stacked but Mean Joe Green stood out amongst them.

Charlie Sheen 07-07-2013 11:26 AM

Dawkins might be the best safety I've ever seen. He was good for a really long time. He'd be on my list. *Not counting guys im not at all familiar with before 1988 or 1989

-p.tiddy- 07-07-2013 07:41 PM

the 2 best safeties to ever play the game IMO are Troy P and Ed Reed...and I was around to watch plenty of Ronnie Lott...Dawkins isn't even top-5

and Lawrence Taylor, while one of the greatest ever, shouldn't be top-10 for anyone, i think he is a tad overrated...he would probably be top-20 tough. Decon Jones was a better sack master than LT but they didn't record sacks back then. Decon has the REAL single season sack record.

Don Hutson played in the 40s...the game was just so different back then I don't like to include players that far back...he was like 180 lbs too, I mean in terms of raw athleticism he isn't even on the same planet as guys like Calvin or Moss

jazz873 07-07-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Don Hutson played in the 40s...the game was just so different back then I don't like to include players that far back...he was like 180 lbs too, I mean in terms of raw athleticism he isn't even on the same planet as guys like Calvin or Moss

It would be wrong to leave Hutson out

christian1923 07-07-2013 09:09 PM

This is tough lol From what I've seen

1Randy Moss
2Ray Lewis
3LT or AP
4Revis or champ
5Ed Reed or Troy
6Strahan or Ware
7Sapp
8marvin harrison or Owens or megatron or welker
9tony Gonzalez
10derrick brooks

-p.tiddy- 07-07-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazz873
It would be wrong to leave Hutson out

I mean...come on now

Lakers Legend#32 07-08-2013 03:26 AM

Two Words: Jim Brown

Charlie Sheen 07-08-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

the 2 best safeties to ever play the game IMO are Troy P and Ed Reed...and I was around to watch plenty of Ronnie Lott...Dawkins isn't even top-5

and Lawrence Taylor, while one of the greatest ever, shouldn't be top-10 for anyone, i think he is a tad overrated...he would probably be top-20 tough. Decon Jones was a better sack master than LT but they didn't record sacks back then. Decon has the REAL single season sack record.

more time goes by, more respect i got for dawk's career...he was still putting up good seasons another 5-6 years from where Troy is right now. had all those ray lewis intangibles...leadership stuff too.

jazz873 07-08-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

I mean...come on now

I understand where you are coming from but that just makes it even more impressive. What he did at the time was unheard of. He still holds records and he held many of them until Rice came along.

Jackass18 07-09-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

and Lawrence Taylor, while one of the greatest ever, shouldn't be top-10 for anyone, i think he is a tad overrated.

What? He's one of the easiest choices to include in the top 10. He changed the game and caused havoc all over the field. Coaches game planned specifically for him. Joe Gibbs developed the two TE set and the H-back formation because of him. LT was a 10-time pro bowler, 8-time first-team all-pro, and was only 1 of 2 defensive players to win MVP, and he was the only one who won it unanimously.

Quote:

Decon Jones was a better sack master than LT but they didn't record sacks back then. Decon has the REAL single season sack record.

That's in dispute: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...weinreb/081006, but does it matter that much? Do you ever hear people talk about Coy Bacon or Al Baker or even Mark Gastineau that much?

Quote:

he was like 180 lbs too, I mean in terms of raw athleticism he isn't even on the same planet as guys like Calvin or Moss

It's not about athleticism, it's about what they did. Moss had the talent to be the greatest, but he didn't use it. Mean Joe Greene would be undersized in today's game at the position he played. Guys could use the head slap back in Deacon Jones day. I know it's difficult to compare players from different eras, but Hutson was so dominate in his era that I can't leave him out.

Lakers2877 07-10-2013 02:44 AM

Lawrence Taylor overrated wtf?

He was the NFL def player of the year as a rookie for goodness sake

LT is the reason left tackles are the 2nd most important position on the field

My top 10 of the players I actually saw play

Jerry Rice
Reggie White
Walter Payton
Jonathan Ogden
LT
Larry Allen
Barry Sanders
Emitt Smith
Bruce Mathews
Marshall Faulk

-p.tiddy- 07-10-2013 03:02 PM

I said Taylor is a 'tad' overrated and you guys are showing just that IMO

I would probably have him in the 15-20 range...he is def one of the all time greats, I just don't think he is the greatest OLB ever

I have said this before in here, but I would take DeMarcus Ware over Taylor...Demarcus is 20 lbs bigger than Taylor, he is faster than Taylor, and he is on pace to finish his career with more sacks than Taylor...all in all, he is a bigger threat than Taylor was...and yes defenses have to plan around Ware too.