Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Omer Asik (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306970)

Toni 07-07-2013 06:09 PM

Omer Asik

What do you guys think of pitching a trade for him? He makes $5 million this season then $15 million next season. He averaged 10ppg and 12rpg on 54% shooting this past season. He reportedly asked for a trade after the Howard signing but the Rockets don't plan on honoring his request.

Would he be a good addition to our squad? Keep in mind he is still relatively young just turning 27 years old 3 days ago.

If we can trade Camby, Novak, Richardson, Gray, Kleiza or Amir with one of NYK 2nd round picks I think it would be a good trade in our favor. Thoughts?

:biggums:

SESSEL15 07-07-2013 07:04 PM

Re: Omer Asik

I personally wouldn't do it just for the fact I want Val to get as many minutes as possible this year. However getting 15 million + 20 million (from Gay's contract) off the books for 2015 offseason is sweet.

Burgz V2 07-07-2013 10:31 PM

i'd love to have Asik but we can't and most likely won't do this trade. Val needs the most of the playing time at the 5 and picking up talent doesn't seem to be the motive of the FO. Clearly we are preparing for a salary dump, and potentially a (proper) rebuild. Acquiring Asik would hurt our chances at accomplishing both.

Toni 07-07-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i'd love to have Asik but we can't and most likely won't do this trade. Val needs the most of the playing time at the 5 and picking up talent doesn't seem to be the motive of the FO. Clearly we are preparing for a salary dump, and potentially a (proper) rebuild. Acquiring Asik would hurt our chances at accomplishing both.

But as SESSEL said, Asik's $15 million come off the books after next season, same as Gay's large contract. That leaves us with a ton of cap space for the 2015 off season..

Burgz V2 07-07-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni
But as SESSEL said, Asik's $15 million come off the books after next season, same as Gay's large contract. That leaves us with a ton of cap space for the 2015 off season..

the money isn't really the problem, it's convincing the Rockets that anyone other than Valanciunas is worth trading for Asik. Further, the Raptors are most likely preparing themselves for a firesale at the deadline. It would be much easier to do so with smaller contracts under the new CBA, than with a contract like Asik's. Getting rid of Rudy AND Asik at the deadline is much more difficult than doing so with Rudy, Kleiza, Gray, Novak and co.

Sakkreth 07-08-2013 07:33 AM

No just not the right time.

AC Earl 07-08-2013 09:38 AM

Houston is desperately trying to deal Lin. I would assume that we would have to take on Lin and his contract as well if Houston was willing to deal Asik. No thanks.