Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tips for a Girl Baller (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308246)

booonkers 07-21-2013 08:54 AM

Tips for a Girl Baller

i absolutely love reading the stuff here so i figured i might as well ask for your help on how to improve my game.

i'm in my 20s i learned how to play in college already but i was only able to learn the fundamentals last year. when i started playing i just used my speed to steal and layup the ball but now that i'm playing with more experienced players i figured i need to get better. my main strengths are my speed and scrappiness. i'm more defensive minded and i just love going after the loose ball. i'm pretty short so i'm focusing on improving guard-like skills and for a guard i'm already a pretty good rebounder. my main weakness is driving to the hole. so here are some of my questions:

1. How do i make my jump shooting consistent? i'm pretty decent but no 3pt shot yet and i want to be an efficient shooter.
2. How do i improve my ball handling? i can handle the ball pretty decently but i want to get better to the point that nobody can steal the ball from me and i wont commit too many turnovers.
3. how to drive to the basket? i get easily distracted by a defender so sometimes i'm unable to finish my layups.
4. How to never miss a fast break layup? i'm pretty fast but sometimes even just having someone trailing me makes me miss cos i go full speed which makes it harder to control the ball and probably has something to do with getting distracted by a defender even though i know i shouldn't be and also sometimes looking at the rim too late.

thanks guys :D

mugiwara 07-21-2013 12:21 PM

Re: Tips for a Girl Baller

Dribbling drills all over youtube, do dribbling drills as at least twice a week. Stationary and on the move.

Shooting is easy, shoot, everyday.

With layups just work on your strides, stepping around people. Practise hop step through, jump, land on two feet then head fake, step through on your let or right and lay it in.

On the fast break just lay it up if your quick you won't get chased down and with proper body position it would be difficult to get blocked. Girls generally aren't explosive enough for backboard chase downs.

HomieWeMajor 07-21-2013 01:54 PM

1. Make sure you're comfortable at shooting at a certain distance before trying to expand your range
2. Drills
3.Only drive when you see an opening. Don't try and force it.
4.Control your steps and try to learn how to lay it up on the reverse

CeltsGarlic 07-21-2013 06:42 PM

gl

ai9 07-26-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booonkers
i'm more defensive minded and i just love going after the loose ball.

i bet u do

sundizz 08-05-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booonkers
i absolutely love reading the stuff here so i figured i might as well ask for your help on how to improve my game.

i'm in my 20s i learned how to play in college already but i was only able to learn the fundamentals last year. when i started playing i just used my speed to steal and layup the ball but now that i'm playing with more experienced players i figured i need to get better. my main strengths are my speed and scrappiness. i'm more defensive minded and i just love going after the loose ball. i'm pretty short so i'm focusing on improving guard-like skills and for a guard i'm already a pretty good rebounder. my main weakness is driving to the hole. so here are some of my questions:

1. How do i make my jump shooting consistent? i'm pretty decent but no 3pt shot yet and i want to be an efficient shooter.
2. How do i improve my ball handling? i can handle the ball pretty decently but i want to get better to the point that nobody can steal the ball from me and i wont commit too many turnovers.
3. how to drive to the basket? i get easily distracted by a defender so sometimes i'm unable to finish my layups.
4. How to never miss a fast break layup? i'm pretty fast but sometimes even just having someone trailing me makes me miss cos i go full speed which makes it harder to control the ball and probably has something to do with getting distracted by a defender even though i know i shouldn't be and also sometimes looking at the rim too late.

thanks guys :D

date a guy that is better than you at basketball. Go play hoops with him. Improve.

Jodie Meeks 08-05-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ai9
i bet u do

:roll:

bigt 08-07-2013 08:36 AM

1 & 2 can be answered simply with practice, practice and more practice. Find a hoop and just work on your fundamentals. If you get your shot motion consistent and natural then you'll become a more reliable shooter. And also respect your limitations. I can't shoot to save my life from the baseline (think it's a depth perception thing) but I'm pretty good from 45 degrees. Work on your weaknesses, but when you play pick yours spots.
With dribbling, make sure you're protecting the ball with your body, that'll help limit turnovers. The more confident you are with your dribbling (again, this'll come through constant practice) the harder it'll be for a defender to shake your handling.

The best suggestion for driving is to get some people to be willing to practice with you. Have them defend one on one fastbreaks so you can get used to finishing around without being distracted. Learning to pick how the defender will play you without becoming distracted isn't an easy skill to pick up, but the more confident you are in your own control, the less thinking you'll be doing when you get to that point.

With the fast break layup, sounds like a similar situation to the driving. You're letting the defender get in your head, and overrunning the situation. Full speed layups can be brutal to hit right. You're probably better off slowing your body down on the pickup and step, one or two strong steps as you go up that'll help you control your body. Unless you've got a really athletic player chasing you down chances are they won't block you from behind. There's a reason it's such a crowd pleaser when guys like Lebron does it, it's a rarity.

Best of luck improving your game

Bucket_Nakedz 08-07-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ai9
i bet u do

rofl