Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Last of Us on Survivor Difficulty is the most difficult game I've ever played (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309876)

Scholar 08-08-2013 05:06 PM

The Last of Us on Survivor Difficulty is the most difficult game I've ever played

First off, you are given much, much less items to craft weapons/health kits.
Then, they took away the listen mode, which turns this game into a stealth game. If we're playing a stealth game, at least give me the ability to move dead bodies so I don't get discovered/raise suspicions so easily.
I've been killed so many times in almost each chapter that I think I know each section of the game perfectly. I've memorized routes that worked for me & what didn't.
I feel like survivor mode brings out the flaws more vividly. When I played it the first time, it was on normal difficulty. I only noticed a handful of times when Ellie or one of Joel's other companions would be sitting in the open & get completely ignored by the Hunters/Infected.
In survivor setting, Ellie randomly shoots at enemies, even though we haven't been discovered yet, but the enemies still don't notice her.

This game is still GOY worthy & I plan on going through it a 3rd time on survivor plus mode to get the trophy, but I'd be lying if I said this game gets better the more difficult it is.

Qwyjibo 08-08-2013 05:12 PM

Re: The Last of Us on Survivor Difficulty is the most difficult game I've ever played

Quote:

I only noticed a handful of times when Ellie or one of Joel's other companions would be sitting in the open & get completely ignored by the Hunters/Infected.
That was my main problem with the game. This happened way too often where Ellie is trying to catch up to and runs into in front of or even into enemies. They of course don't react because they aren't programmed to. I understand some things need to be done in a game but this killed my immersion in that world many times.

Thorpesaurous 08-12-2013 10:05 AM

Re: The Last of Us on Survivor Difficulty is the most difficult game I've ever played

I had every intention of going through this on Survivor to get the platinum trophy. I knew I had two more playthroughs to go, Survivor and Survivor+.

But I had a few more things I wanted to do. Find a few comic books, and other items I hadn't found previously, and finish maxing out my weapons and Joel's abilities.
So I discovered that I could ramp up the difficulty to Survivor and play each level by level on +, and that way I could find my stuff, and get the + game play taken care of, at least a large part of it.
But while playing on +, even with the amped up weapons, some sections were just excruciating. The Train station for one, which I wanted to go back to because I didn't get into that safe the first time through. And then right toward the end, there was a comic book I was looking for that required me to redo the tunnel that leads to the firefly hospital. The end of that segment, where the two bloaters are, along with a bunch of other pain in the ass bastards. It was excruciating. It took me hours to figure out a way through, and even then I spent a ton of molotovs and flamethrower ammo to get through it. And frankly I only did it because I had already gotten that far in it and just wanted to finish the section so I wouldn't have to do it again. But once I finished the level, and the FF soldiers come and take me while I'm giving Elie mouth to mouth, the next chapter starts, and frankly I had no interest in trying to do anymore. I had found everything, and knew the whole story. I think I'm all set. The only thing left I'd like to do is get all the optional conversations. But I don't see it happening.

Still an absolutely incredible game.

rhythmic †hesis 08-12-2013 12:16 PM

Really?
I didn't find it that difficult, finished it in 19 hours.
Sure I died a lot more, but Drake's Fortune on crashing was tougher then this game on Survivor.

By the way, any of you got the plat for it?
I did 2 weeks ago. :cheers:

Thorpesaurous 08-12-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
Really?
I didn't find it that difficult, finished it in 19 hours.
Sure I died a lot more, but Drake's Fortune on crashing was tougher then this game on Survivor.

By the way, any of you got the plat for it?
I did 2 weeks ago. :cheers:

All I have left are the two survivor modes. And the + survivor mode I probably got through half of, and frankly the half I'm through is probably the harder half, because I didn't need to redo those opening levels with no combat.

I thought it was way harder than Drake's Fortune.

Scholar 08-13-2013 08:48 AM

Well, I actually played it again on survivor + mode and finished it in 12 hrs. Now I need the optional conversations trophy & all the trophies related to finding hidden items, such as FF tags & comic books.

The reason I found the game difficult was because of things like the part of the game where you play as Ellie & have to kill the hordes of Infected entering the building. I kept getting killed there & having to start from the beginning again. At one point, I ran out of bullets, but the game wasn't respawning any more for me, so I spent damn near 15 minutes just running around the room, avoiding contact with the Runners & Clickers. I only had a Molotov in my inventory, which I was trying to save for the bloater that hops down from the ceiling, but I thought, okay, let me use this molotov now. Maybe the game will give me bullets & more craftables after.

I threw the Molotov, killed the last clickers in the room, & then spent another 5+ min running around, trying to avoid the bloater. No items spawned, no ammo, nothing. Shit pissed me off.

rhythmic †hesis 08-13-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
All I have left are the two survivor modes. And the + survivor mode I probably got through half of, and frankly the half I'm through is probably the harder half, because I didn't need to redo those opening levels with no combat.

I thought it was way harder than Drake's Fortune.

I disagree, Chapter 13 (without cheating) in Drake's Fortune & Chapter 4 was WAY tougher. I beat TLoU now 7-8 times (3 times on Survivor mode), 3 times on hard and then a couple of times on the easier level. In my last runthrough I had no problem with survivor mode. I developed a pretty decent strategy and am not afraid to just run away from enemies, instead of battling them head-on especially in areas where the supplies are limited.

I think there are no more then 3 bloaters in the entire game? They are HARD as hell, and I'm terrified of them every damn time I see them. They remind me of Jaggernauts from Modern Warfare 2. When the music plays (on multiplayer), I just start shaking every time. They are so hard on higher difficulties, my god.

The game is definitely tough and OVERALL is of course much tougher then Drake's Fortune, but Chapter 4 & 13 in DF to me was tougher then anything in the TLoU. You need a lot of patience and a sound strategy, and you can't be OSD with trying to kill EVERYONE. Trial & error, and you'll find this game a lot easier.

I love the fact that AI is never the same though, unlike Uncharted. So me doing a walkthrough for this game in the future will be tough. I don't see me getting through the entire game without dying once like I did for all 3 Uncharted games. So I guess in that respect it is tougher, but it is also a lot longer and a lot more things can go wrong when you're playing.

I think I climaxed, and am waiting for GTA 5 now. TLoU is definitely an ageless game though, it will forever be in my library and I'll play it all the time in the future just like I still play the Uncharted trilogy. :cheers:

Thorpesaurous 08-13-2013 12:29 PM

I think what seperates this is that in Uncharted, ammo is not an issue. I know that I can try some different things, because I will be refilled at some point. In this it feels like if I make a mistake now, I may get horribly stuck somewhere down the line because I've overextended myself already somewhere who knows how long ago.

Also, a mistake in Uncharted isn't the automatic death that TLoU might be if you run into the wrong enemy.