Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   shelden williams says he never worked out for hawks (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3106)

thenextgreatbigman 06-28-2006 01:04 PM

shelden williams says he never worked out for hawks

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celt...ticleid=146008

Quote:

Williams a sliding factor
By Mark Murphy
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - Updated: 08:14 AM EST

NEW YORK - If the Celtics end up landing a slider with the seventh pick in tonight’s draft, they may have to thank Duke’s Shelden Williams for displacing that player.

Notebook

The 6-foot-9 power forward, who has always had a fan in Danny Ainge, continues to be paired with Atlanta and the No. 5 pick.

Ainge, for one, is giving the report credence.

“I’ve believed that one for a while,” Ainge said yesterday. “He makes sense there.”

Williams isn’t about to discount the Atlanta talk, either. But considering that Williams has been through the same battery of workouts as every other player, there is one odd note about his connection with the Hawks. As he said, “I never worked out for them.”
Though a published report has paired Rudy Gay with Toronto and the No. 1 pick, the UConn forward is either in the dark or should play poker for a living.

“I have no idea where I’m going,” he said. “This draft is so unpredictable. Every one of us has heard we could go in the top two or the top five, but none of us really know.”

great, they promised him the 5th pick but didn't get a workout from him. GREAT JOB ATLANTA! :roll:

artificial 06-28-2006 01:07 PM

wth? was atlanta bluffing to stir things up? i dont get this. granted, you can draft a player without working him out, but still... :confused:

geeWiz15 06-28-2006 01:14 PM

Washington, time to trade up! Jeffries and the 18 for a mid-late lottery pick. Let's do it.

Put Back Dunk 06-28-2006 01:16 PM

Wasn't it only rumored that a "Top 5 team" gave him the promise, and it was just some ass reporter who speculated that it was Atalanta?

sixty 06-28-2006 01:58 PM

The Hawks just can't get a break.

Harrington is leaving.
Williams is not ready to step up.
And now this BS.

I feel sorry for them...

JohnnyBravo5 06-28-2006 01:58 PM

Exactly. It was just hype. We worked out pretty much all guards. My guess is that we end up with Brandon Roy or Randy Foye. Billy says he wants bigs, but unless Aldridge or Bargnani falls to us it will be a combo guard.

hawkfan 06-28-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
Exactly. It was just hype. We worked out pretty much all guards. My guess is that we end up with Brandon Roy or Randy Foye. Billy says he wants bigs, but unless Aldridge or Bargnani falls to us it will be a combo guard.

If the Raptors take Barghnani and the Bulls take Thomas, then it is very possible for Aldridge to fall to the Hawks.

Every year one guy falls. I hope it is Aldridge this year and with the Hawks.

This is the most unpredictable draft in years.

kumquat 06-28-2006 03:10 PM

Could be a smoke screen that he did work out for them. Maybe they want to get him lower.

geeWiz15 06-28-2006 03:22 PM

Quote:

The Hawks just can't get a break.

Harrington is leaving.
That doesn't really mean anything. Lord knows they got 53 other SFs to take his place. If they wanted Al to come back he would. But they don't. And I think Williams will surprise people next year. He won't be an all star but he will show that he belongs (which he did NOT do last year) and will be at least very much starter quality.

JohnnySic 06-28-2006 03:23 PM

Doesn't make sense. Shelden would have been there at 5 anyway if they wanted him. Why "guarantee" him anything?

Y2Gezee 06-28-2006 03:35 PM

Shelden will definately be there at 5 if they want him, I think they were trying to stir things up. However, I don't see a better choice there for them. They need a big man, not some long SF with no handles or post game like Aldridge even if they could get him.

But hey I wouldn't think they were doing the wrong thing if they took the Celtics idea, and traded their pick for Telfair and something else. They need a pg, just as much as they need a C/Pf

thenextgreatbigman 06-28-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Shelden will definately be there at 5 if they want him, I think they were trying to stir things up. However, I don't see a better choice there for them. They need a big man, not some long SF with no handles or post game like Aldridge even if they could get him.

But hey I wouldn't think they were doing the wrong thing if they took the Celtics idea, and traded their pick for Telfair and something else. They need a pg, just as much as they need a C/Pf

they can always draft foye. and i can't wait till gay slips to 5 and they draft him