Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Eurobasket 2013 Discussion (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311500)

Grinder 08-29-2013 04:44 PM

Eurobasket 2013 Discussion

The European championships start in less than a week and a few posters requested that I start this thread, so here it is. Slovenia is the host country this year.

In depth info on the tournament can be found here.

LIVE SCORES and STATS

Check this link.

The format
In the first stage every team has to play against every other team of their group (round-robin). This means five matches per team.

From every group the 3 best teams advance to the second stage and the 3 worst teams will be eliminated. In the second stage 2 new groups will be formed. The 3 best teams from groups A and B will be united to form group E whereas the 3 best teams from groups C and D will be united to form group F.

In these two new groups of the second stage only matches by teams that had not yet played each other have to be played. As for the matches that had already happened in the first stage their results will also count in the second stage. Therefore every team plays 3 matches and there are 12 teams in the second stage.

Out of the second stage the 4 best teams from each of the two groups advance to the quarterfinals (8 teams in total) whereas the 2 worst teams will be eliminated from championship (4 teams in total). [link]

Grinder 08-29-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Eurobasket 2013

Current NBA players (I'll update this, the rosters aren't finalized for all teams yet):
Former NBA players

France
Nicolas Batum
Tony Parker
Boris Diaw
Nando De Colo
Mickael Gelabale
Alexis Ajinca
Johan Petro

Spain
Jose Calderon
Ricky Rubio
Marc Gasol
Victor Claver
Rudy Fernandez
Sergio Rodriguez

Russia
Alexey Shved
Sergey Karasev
Sergey Monya

Sweden
Jonas Jerebko
Jeff Taylor

Turkey
Omer Asik
Ersan Ilyasova
Hedo Turkoglu
Semih Erden

Bosnia
Mirza Teletovic

Lithuania
Donatas Motiejunas
Jonas Valanciunas
Linas Kleiza

Macedonia
Pero Antic

Serbia
Nemanja Nedovic
Nenad Krstic

Czech Republic
Jan Vesely
Jiri Welsch

Poland
Marcin Gortat
Maciej Lampe

Slovenia
Goran Dragic
Bostjan Nachbar

Italy
Marco Belinelli
Gigi Datome
Travis Diener

Israel
Omri Casspi

Ukraine
Vyacheslav Kravtsov
Pooh Jeter

Finland
Hanno Möttölä

Greece
Vassilis Spanoulis
Antonis Fotsis

Montenegro
Nikola Vucevic

Fiba basketball 08-29-2013 05:17 PM

List of players that won't play

Spain: P. Gasol, J.C. Navarro, F. Reyes, S. Ibaka, N. Mirotić

France: J. Noah, K. Seraphin, R. Gobert, R. Turiaf, Ali Traore, M. Pietrus, R. Beaubois, I. Mahinmi

Russia: A. Kirilenko, T. Mozgov, S. Bykov, V. Hryapa, S. Kaun, A.Voroncevich

Greece: K. Coufos, N. Calathes, S. Schortsanitis

Italy: D. Galinari, D. Hackett, A. Bargnani

Serbia: M. Mačvan, Z. Erceg, V.Micov, N. Veličković, D. Savanović, S.Birčević, V.Lučić ( not 100% sure but he probably won't play because of injure), M.Teodosić ( he might go but won't be ready to play at first few games and probably won't be ready to play more than 10mpg)

Germany: D.Nowitzki, C. Caman, T.Olbrecht, D. Shroeder, E.Harris

Slovenia: E. Lorbek, P. Brezec, B. Udrih

Croatia: Z. Planinić, M. Banić, M. Popović, K. Lončar, R. Stipčević

Lithuania: S. Jasaitis, P.Jankunas, S. Jasikevicius

GB: L. Deng, B. Gordon, J. Freeland, P. Mensah-Bonsu

Ukrain: A.Len, O.Pecherov, K. Fesenko, S.Lischuk

Georgia: Z.Pachulia, T.Shengelia

Montenegro: N. Peković, V. Dragičević, M.Todorović

Latvia: D. Bertans, A. Biedrins

This is a older list so some player migh not be named.

A lot of absent player will make this very weak Eurobasket

Miller for 3 08-29-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
List of players that won't play

Spain: P. Gasol, J.C. Navarro, F. Reyes, S. Ibaka, N. Mirotić

France: J. Noah, K. Seraphin, R. Gobert, R. Turiaf, Ali Traore, M. Pietrus, R. Beaubois, I. Mahinmi

Russia: A. Kirilenko, T. Mozgov, S. Bykov, V. Hryapa, S. Kaun, A.Voroncevich

Greece: K. Coufos, N. Calathes, S. Schortsanitis

Italy: D. Galinari, D. Hackett, A. Bargnani

Serbia: M. Mačvan, Z. Erceg, V.Micov, N. Veličković, D. Savanović, S.Birčević, V.Lučić ( not 100% sure but he probably won't play because of injure), M.Teodosić ( he might go but won't be ready to play at first few games and probably won't be ready to play more than 10mpg)

Germany: D.Nowitzki, C. Caman, T.Olbrecht, D. Shroeder, E.Harris

Slovenia: E. Lorbek, P. Brezec, B. Udrih

Croatia: Z. Planinić, M. Banić, M. Popović, K. Lončar, R. Stipčević

Lithuania: S. Jasaitis, P.Jankunas, S. Jasikevicius

GB: L. Deng, B. Gordon, J. Freeland, P. Mensah-Bonsu

Ukrain: A.Len, O.Pecherov, K. Fesenko, S.Lischuk

Georgia: Z.Pachulia, T.Shengelia

Montenegro: N. Peković, V. Dragičević, M.Todorović

Latvia: D. Bertans, A. Biedrins

This is a older list so some player migh not be named.

A lot of absent player will make this very weak Eurobasket

Still is more competition than the Heat faced last the past two years in their * title runs

millwad 08-30-2013 02:01 PM

It's a shame that so many players aren't playing but I'll definitely watch the tournament.

It's still high quality basketball and Sweden has for once qualified. Although the Swedish team is very weak beside Taylor and Jerebko it will still be alot of fun to see them go against great teams.

I think Sweden's future is very bright and I couldn't be happier for Jeff. He's always been extremely good he was definitely better than all of us when we played for the youth national team but making it to the NBA is really an amazing accomplishment. No one in basketball Sweden could have guessed.Couldn't have had happened to a better person either, really nice and humble guy.

Enough about Sweden though, I'm really excited to see Lithuania play, Jonas and Donatas are two very interesting players.

JimmyMcAdocious 08-30-2013 02:04 PM

Jeff Taylor the Bobcats player? What relation does he have with Sweden?

SpurrDurr 08-30-2013 02:06 PM

Best euro players won't even bother to play :lol

Fiba basketball 08-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millwad
It's a shame that so many players aren't playing but I'll definitely watch the tournament.

It's still high quality basketball and Sweden has for once qualified. Although the Swedish team is very weak beside Taylor and Jerebko it will still be alot of fun to see them go against great teams.

I think Sweden's future is very bright and I couldn't be happier for Jeff. He's always been extremely good he was definitely better than all of us when we played for the youth national team but making it to the NBA is really an amazing accomplishment. No one in basketball Sweden could have guessed.Couldn't have had happened to a better person either, really nice and humble guy.

Enough about Sweden though, I'm really excited to see Lithuania play, Jonas and Donatas are two very interesting players.

Is Anton Gaddefors playing for your NT ? He played in Radnicki few seasons ago few seasons ago, he isn't that good but I guess he would is one of the best Sweden players ?

millwad 08-30-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
Jeff Taylor the Bobcats player? What relation does he have with Sweden?

Born and raised in Sweden to a Swedish mother and American father. His family still lives in Sweden, including his dad, former NBA player Jeff Taylor. I have played with and against Jeff and he was a humble beast on the basketball court, very nice dad as well.

Jeff moved to the US to play HS ball at his dad's old HS at Hobbs.

millwad 08-30-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
Is Anton Gaddefors playing for your NT ? He played in Radnicki few seasons ago few seasons ago, he isn't that good but I guess he would is one of the best Sweden players ?

Anton is playing and no, he's not one of the best players but Sweden's roster is weak.

millwad 08-30-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpurrDurr

Parker, Gasol and Batum are easily among the best in Europe.

JimmyMcAdocious 08-30-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millwad
Born and raised in Sweden to a Swedish mother and American father. His family still lives in Sweden, including his dad, former NBA player Jeff Taylor. I have played with and against Jeff and he was a humble beast on the basketball court, very nice dad as well.

Jeff moved to the US to play HS ball at his dad's old HS at Hobbs.

Didn't know that. Cool info :cheers:

I hope he does well. Been impressed with him the last two summer leagues and he has a good opportunity in Charlotte for playing time, considering the lack of shooters on that team.

Eric Cartman 08-30-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder
Vassilis Spanoulis

:lol going to get owned by Nigeria again. Weak a$$ pu$$y bitch.

duskovujosevic 08-30-2013 02:40 PM

France is number one contender for gold then Lithuania and Spain.

Other teams are pretty mutch on the same level.

Fresh Kid 08-30-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpurrDurr

thats why theres no point in even watching this, eurobasketball 2013 iz guna suck:facepalm. inb4 euroleague talk shit tho:lol