Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Patriots release tebow (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311593)

CelticBaller 08-31-2013 11:51 AM

Patriots release tebow

Quote:

The New England Patriots have released polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Tebow, who signed with the Patriots in June, struggled to find consistency throughout the preseason, completing 11 of 30 passes for 145 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in three games. He also ran 16 times for 91 yards.

Since he has fewer than four years of NFL experience, Tebow is subject to the league's waiver system. If he clears waivers, he will become a free agent and can sign with any team.

After sitting out the club's third preseason game, Tebow had his final chance to impressive coach Bill Belichick on Thursday night against the New York Giants. He completed 6 of 11 passes for 91 yards with two TDs and one interception while also getting sacked four times.

Asked after Thursday's game if he felt that performance improved his chances of making the team, Tebow said, "I'm not sure. I don't make those decisions."

The move by the Patriots will make for an uncertain future for Tebow, who failed to draw much interest this past offseason after he was released by the New York Jets.

Earlier this week, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he was "rooting for" Tebow to make the Patriots' 53-man roster, but said the decision was ultimately up to Belichick. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who coached Tebow in Denver, also was among those to praise the signal-caller for his work ethic.

Releasing Tebow should not come as a major surprise. The Patriots carried only two quarterbacks last season. Both of them -- Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett -- remain firmly entrenched at the top of the depth chart entering this season.
All over ESPN right now

Shade8780 08-31-2013 12:08 PM

Re: Patriots release tebow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Derka 08-31-2013 03:07 PM

Took them long enough. Let the sideshow move somewhere else.

Real Men Wear Green 08-31-2013 03:55 PM

:confusedshrug: I like him, just not sure what he was doing as a thrower.

JimmyMcAdocious 08-31-2013 04:07 PM

New England should have changed him to TE, he can replace Hernandez, and then the Tebow-mania would never die. Brady would make him all-pro.

irondarts 08-31-2013 04:07 PM

I think this is probably it for him in the NFL, right?

Real Men Wear Green 08-31-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
New England should have changed him to TE, he can replace Hernandez, and then the Tebow-mania would never die. Brady would make him all-pro.

He's never been a TE and doesn't want to be a TE. It's not that simple.

ballup 08-31-2013 04:52 PM

I saw him play for a bit in the last pre-season game. He was horrendous. Noted, it wasn't entirely his fault for the sacks, but he didn't bother making one intentional incompletion to prevent the loss of yards.

-p.tiddy- 08-31-2013 06:00 PM

Let's face it. He was never first round material and everyone knew it...it was a silly pick by Denver.

In the NFL if you want to be a starting QB you have to be able to throw a football...he has no place as QB in the NFL.

I think his best bet is FB...that's about it.

Sarcastic 08-31-2013 06:30 PM

:facepalm
Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Let's face it. He was never first round material and everyone knew it...it was a silly pick by Denver.

In the NFL if you want to be a starting QB you have to be able to throw a football...he has no place as QB in the NFL.

Can't wait to see which dumbass team picks Dickhead Manziell in the first round.

knickballer 08-31-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

It wasn't a silly pick for Denver at all.

Without Tebow they probably don't make the playoffs in 2011 and therefore have no shot at Peyton Manning. Probably will be stuck with an average QB and definitely weren't going to be contenders.

CelticBaller 08-31-2013 07:39 PM

any Pat fan mad about this? I am sure i'm not

mlh1981 09-01-2013 09:34 AM

Any disdain I have for Tebow is purely centered around his ridiculous fanbase. He's a pretty easy guy to root for, but about a million things have to happen in order for this to work out for him. It happened briefly in Denver, but that was lightning in a bottle. If I'm a Steelers fan, I'm pretty peeved my team lost a playoff game to him.

UtahJazzFan88 09-01-2013 01:11 PM

I think it was lightning in the bottle in Denver, but I want to see a team at least give him a shot and see if he fails a 2nd time around, he hasn't even been given the chance after that playoff run. Would love to see the Raiders or Jags make a run at him to see if he has anything left, those teams are going nowhere anyway.

DuMa 09-02-2013 03:52 AM

I still think he deserves another shot but he was really dumb to sign with the Pats. He had to known that there was no shot of him playing QB or even a long shot at back-up QB knowing the system they run there and is heavily dependent on the QB making throws.

He is a special QB that needs a strong running game/OLine and defense. It will a special team to suit his strengths.

Its likely he wont ever play in the NFL again but i still think he deserves another shot for being a great example of work ethic in the NFL.