Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312613)

longhornfan1234 09-18-2013 11:06 AM

Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Buffett: Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
By Money Morning Staff Reports

Healthcare costs in the United States are like a tapeworm eating at our economic body.

Those words come from famed investor Warren Buffett, who said he would scrap Obamacare and start all over.

"We have a health system that, in terms of costs, is really out of control," he added. "And if you take this line and you project what has been happening into the future, we will get less and less competitive. So we need something else."

Buffett insists that without changes to Obamacare average citizens will suffer.

"What we have now is untenable over time," said Buffett, an early supporter of President Obama. "That kind of a cost compared to the rest of the world is really like a tapeworm eating, you know, at our economic body."

Buffett does not believe that providing insurance for everyone is the first step to take in correcting our nation's healthcare system.

"Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage," he said. "I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill."

Buffett's certainly not alone in his discontent for Obamacare. Ask millions of Americans what they think about the new law, and chances are they're ready to pop a jugular.

The government program, slated to being in earnest October 1 when the exchanges go live, is one of the most hated bills in history.

Critics heavily oppose the mandate requiring them to purchase health insurance. They're also furious at all the new taxes, fees, and higher premiums they'll be stuck paying, thanks to Obamacare.


http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/o...re-buffett.php

niko 09-18-2013 11:13 AM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Buffett: Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
By Money Morning Staff Reports

Healthcare costs in the United States are like a tapeworm eating at our economic body.

Those words come from famed investor Warren Buffett, who said he would scrap Obamacare and start all over.

"We have a health system that, in terms of costs, is really out of control," he added. "And if you take this line and you project what has been happening into the future, we will get less and less competitive. So we need something else."

Buffett insists that without changes to Obamacare average citizens will suffer.

"What we have now is untenable over time," said Buffett, an early supporter of President Obama. "That kind of a cost compared to the rest of the world is really like a tapeworm eating, you know, at our economic body."

Buffett does not believe that providing insurance for everyone is the first step to take in correcting our nation's healthcare system.

"Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage," he said. "I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill."

Buffett's certainly not alone in his discontent for Obamacare. Ask millions of Americans what they think about the new law, and chances are they're ready to pop a jugular.

The government program, slated to being in earnest October 1 when the exchanges go live, is one of the most hated bills in history.

Critics heavily oppose the mandate requiring them to purchase health insurance. They're also furious at all the new taxes, fees, and higher premiums they'll be stuck paying, thanks to Obamacare.


http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/o...re-buffett.php

You are aware the Republican plan is **** everyone and status quo right? It sounds like you think it's to do this. It's not. This is the logical thing that no one in the government will do.

Obamacare has a lot of issues, but we can't ignore that people in the US can't afford healthcare. Do you have healthcare? Are you willing to go without to keep taxes lower?

DukeDelonte13 09-18-2013 11:24 AM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
I like the comment in the article ask people about Obamacare and they will pop a jugular.



But if you ask people about the specific features of Obamacare and don't mention the word "obamacare" and everybody loves it.


the myth that is doesn't help average americans is flat out ridiculous and unfounded.

Anybody with a small business immediately benefits.

Anybody with a pre existing condition benefits.

Anybody with a sick child benefits.

Anybody who gets denied coverage benefits from a new universal appeal process.


Obamacare simply places rules on health insurance providers that levels the playing field a little bit more towards the poor sap that has to insure themselves or insure their own small business. In reality the features such as the universal appeal process and the 80% rule benefit every single person with health insurance.


It's not a perfect solution but its a step in the right direction that repubs could live with, hence the passing of it.

Jailblazers7 09-18-2013 11:42 AM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
I kind of agree. Not necessarily that Obamacare should be scrapped but that it doesn't address the most important issue with healthcare. Obamacare is a bill directed at the insurance industry and doesn't do a whole lot to reduce the actual costs of medical care. It might help more people afford healthcare but it doesn't take us off our current path of exponential growth in the cost of medical treatment.

lefthook00 09-18-2013 11:51 AM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Destroying competition is not going to lower prices.

longhornfan1234 09-18-2013 11:54 AM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthook00
Destroying competition is not going to lower prices.


I agree. A lack of competition makes costs astronomically high in the US across from pharmaceuticals to patient care to cost of doctors and nurses (also due to absurdly high education costs). 4 of the 8 largest lobbies in the US are medical insurance companies.... pharmaceutical manufacturers... or medical care associations... along with another one of the 8 being AARP... so nothing ever gets done in Washington because nearly every member of Congress is getting some money from somewhere in the medical field.

longhornfan1234 09-18-2013 11:56 AM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
You are aware the Republican plan is **** everyone and status quo right? It sounds like you think it's to do this. It's not. This is the logical thing that no one in the government will do.

Obamacare has a lot of issues, but we can't ignore that people in the US can't afford healthcare. Do you have healthcare? Are you willing to go without to keep taxes lower?

Yes and no.

OldSkoolball#52 09-18-2013 11:59 AM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
but we can't ignore that people in the US can't afford healthcare. Do you have healthcare? Are you willing to go without to keep taxes lower?


Good news, niko! You dont have to!


Why dont you start your own non profit that helps low income people pay for health insurance, without any feudalistic government mandates? That way you can help the consumer, while allowing the free market to continue to be competitive?

That way you can monitor for fraud within the system more easily than the government will. That way you can make sure small businesses who cant afford the extra burden wont have to lay anyone off. That way you can respect peoples rights to their own earned money



Im sure Warren Buffet would rather donate $100,000,000 to your charity than pay it in taxes t wasteful bureaucrats using it for political leverage.

And guess what? As soon as you get it started, Ill be the first to make a donation.



Ohhh... I see. You dont actually wanna do anything about it yourself. You just wanna talk a big one, massage your self righteous ego, and advertise a phony pretense of compassion..... With somebody elses time and money. "Make the government do it, spend the economy's money!" Wow, how incredibly intellectual, progressive and proactive of you.


Bravo niko. Your little "hey everyone look, im being hip and liberal!" dance really swept us off our feet. You are might impressive, niko.

DukeDelonte13 09-18-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthook00
Destroying competition is not going to lower prices.



I don't really know how Obamacare really destroys competition... If anything it makes insurers more competitive with the online marketplaces it is instituting, and the introduction of non profit insurance co-ops that will compete directly with for-profit traditional health care providers.

Furthermore, that new appeal process makes other insurances companies review whether or not the original insurance companies decision to deny coverage is valid or not.

It's A VC3!!! 09-18-2013 12:03 PM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Warren is 100% right. Lower healthcare costs first and expansion will happen naturally because of cheaper healthcare. Gov is trying to force expansion of healthcare by offering obamacare.

DukeDelonte13 09-18-2013 12:06 PM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
Good news, niko! You dont have to!


Why dont you start your own non profit that helps low income people pay for health insurance, without any feudalistic government mandates? That way you can help the consumer, while allowing the free market to continue to be competitive?

That way you can monitor for fraud within the system more easily than the government will. That way you can make sure small businesses who cant afford to cover all their employees wont have to lay anyone off. That way you can tespect peoples rights to their own earned money



Im sure Warren Buffet would rather donate $100,000,000 to your charity than pay it in taxes t wasteful bureaucrats using it for political leverage.

And guess what? As soon as you get it started, Ill be the first to make a donation.



Ohhh... I see. You dont actually wanna do anything about it yourself. You just wanna talk a big one, massage your self righteous ego, and advertise a phony pretense of compassion..... With somebody elses time and money. "Make the government do it, spend the economy's money!" Wow, how incredibly intellectual, progressive and proactive of you.


Bravo niko. Your little "hey everyone look, im being hip and liberal!" dance really swept us off our feet. Youre so very impressve.



The american "you're on your own" system gave birth a gold mine for these insurance companies. Giving them a few extra rules to follow before they can continue to reap the bounty isn't feudalistic. It's fair.

DukeDelonte13 09-18-2013 12:09 PM

Re: Warren Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
Warren is 100% right. Lower healthcare costs first and expansion will happen naturally because of cheaper healthcare. Gov is trying to force expansion of healthcare by offering obamacare.



You clearly have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Obamacare RESTRICTS what insurance companies can do. It limits how they can raise premiums. It mandates that they have to cover certain things. Part of Obamacare is about increasing the level of competition between providers. Obamacare isn't a tangible thing that is offered by the government in lieu of traditional health care.

OldSkoolball#52 09-18-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
The american "you're on your own" system gave birth a gold mine for these insurance companies.



So what? You have a grudge because theyre makin more money than you?

Whoever started these companies put in work. They didnt make Americans get hooked on fast food. They didnt insist people demand prescriptions for every little thing. They didnt send thousands of people to the hospital every year because of gun violence and dwi. They didnt expand entitlements that give million dollar treatments to terminally ill people. They simply started an insurance enterprise, which is a valuable service, and probably put in long hours doing it.

THESE are what make costs go up. All I ever see you do is complain about the people who cant afford it and what they deserve and what they need and whats not fair. Why dont you ever focus on wha THEY can do for themselves? Its not insurance companies fault Americans have priced themselves out of healthcare by BEING unhealthy. You wanna stifle the market to make up for the faults of an income group you simply dont have the testicles to take issue with. Thats period.

You and all these 99% wanna lay responsibility for all the problems in society at the foot of the very top of the pyramid. I have news for you brother. When a pyramid crumbles, its not because the tippy top was cracked and eroded. Its the base.

If the American public wants change, then THEY need to change. These losers just wanna put Obamas face on a sign that says "change" then sit back and wait for him to do it.

Smh

DukeDelonte13 09-18-2013 12:27 PM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
So what? You have a grudge because theyre makin more money than you?

Whoever started these companies put in work. They didnt make Americans get hooked on fast food. They didnt insist people demand prescriptions for every little thing. They didnt send thousands of people to the hospital every year because of gun violence and dwi. They didnt expand entitlements that give million dollar treatments to terminally ill people.

THESE are what make costs go up. All I ever see you do is complain about the people who cant afford it and what they deserve and what they need and whats not fair. Why dont you ever focus on wha THEY can do for themselves? Its not insurance companies fault Americans have priced themselves out of healthcare by BEING unhealthy. You wanna stifle the market to make up for the faults of an income group you simply dont have the testicles to take issue with. Thats period.

You and all these 99% wanna lay responsibility for all the problems in society at the foot of the very top of the pyramid. I have news for you brother. When a pyramid crumbles, its not because the tippy top was cracked and eroded. Its the base.


If the American public wants change, then THEY need to change. These losers just wanna put Obamas face on a sign that says "change" then sit back and wait for him to do it.

Smh


You don't grasp the situation, let me explain, i'll use myself as an example.

I am under 30, married, perfectly healthy. I have my own business.

You know how much money it costs to cover me and my wife? Over a thousand a month if we want a maternity rider to eventually have kids. Yes. We have to pay for the rider months before she can get pregnant, and we would be lucky to get dollar for dollar value out of it. It will cost me the same to pay out of pocket which is somewhere in the 10 to 15 thousand dollar range IF everything goes ok, no cesarean. That is a broken system.


My partner has 3 kids and a wife. All healthy. He's paying 1600 a month in health insurance premiums.

We live in a country where people who want to start their own business and live the american dream have to face extremely cost prohibitive health insurance. And prior to Obamacare, even if we make every single payment they can decide to drop us at the drop of a hat if ourselves or one of our family members get sick.

Obamacare directly addresses and fixes a lot of these problems.

In 2014, i'm going to be able to get maternity coverage. I'm going to get a 50% tax credit for everything I spend on health insurance. Obamacare is giving me the freedom to start a family, and is protecting me incase my insurance wants to f*ck me over and get out of paying its bills.

niko 09-18-2013 12:49 PM

Re: Buffett(1% liberal): Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
Good news, niko! You dont have to!


Why dont you start your own non profit that helps low income people pay for health insurance, without any feudalistic government mandates? That way you can help the consumer, while allowing the free market to continue to be competitive?

That way you can monitor for fraud within the system more easily than the government will. That way you can make sure small businesses who cant afford the extra burden wont have to lay anyone off. That way you can respect peoples rights to their own earned money



Im sure Warren Buffet would rather donate $100,000,000 to your charity than pay it in taxes t wasteful bureaucrats using it for political leverage.

And guess what? As soon as you get it started, Ill be the first to make a donation.



Ohhh... I see. You dont actually wanna do anything about it yourself. You just wanna talk a big one, massage your self righteous ego, and advertise a phony pretense of compassion..... With somebody elses time and money. "Make the government do it, spend the economy's money!" Wow, how incredibly intellectual, progressive and proactive of you.


Bravo niko. Your little "hey everyone look, im being hip and liberal!" dance really swept us off our feet. You are might impressive, niko.


What the **** is wrong with you? I'm not government. I highly doubt every time you disagree with something you start a new company to rectify it. I don't have resources to do it. So the government take a crapload of my money and does these things.

When do i get to stop paying taxes to fund my own programs?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy