Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why does Duke even have a football program? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312756)

Hoodlum Science 09-21-2013 01:02 PM

Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Right now on ABC (maybe showing Duke b/c it's my local area) Pitt @ Duke and it's no doubt a snooze-fest. It's at Duke, and the stands are virtually empty. The only time that stadium is even close to being full is when their sworn rivals are visiting (UNC).

Lack of seats filled, very low national interest in their football program, why even bother?

:confusedshrug:

Hell, when if ever has Duke had a nationally ranked unit in the Top 25?

BuffaloBill 09-21-2013 01:04 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Duke has a football program?

mlh1981 09-21-2013 01:47 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Additionally, their stadium looks like a high school stadium.

I've never gotten the sense that college football there in NC really matters all THAT much to people period. Hardcore basketball country. On the flip side, you never hear much about.....Bama hoops. Some schools are just so heavily slanted towards one sport.

Johnny Jones 09-21-2013 01:50 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
Additionally, their stadium looks like a high school stadium.

I've never gotten the sense that college football there in NC really matters all THAT much to people period. Hardcore basketball country. On the flip side, you never hear much about.....Bama hoops. Some schools are just so heavily slanted towards one sport.

Bama actually has good basketball fans, their program is just really terrible right now.

LSU or UGA would be a better example.

Hoodlum Science 09-21-2013 02:06 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
Additionally, their stadium looks like a high school stadium.

I've never gotten the sense that college football there in NC really matters all THAT much to people period. Hardcore basketball country. On the flip side, you never hear much about.....Bama hoops. Some schools are just so heavily slanted towards one sport.


You make a good point about NC being basketball country, and not so much football country, BUT when it comes to pro sports, there's huge Panthers interest and seemingly much less interest compared to the NBA/Bobcats.

Budadiiii 09-21-2013 03:59 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
58-55 late 4th quarter. Game of the year so far.

:rolleyes:

Hoodlum Science 09-21-2013 04:04 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budadiiii
58-55 late 4th quarter. Game of the year so far.

:rolleyes:


:oldlol:

Game of the year or simply the product of two teams incapable of playing any defense?

Budadiiii 09-21-2013 04:09 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
:oldlol:

Game of the year or simply the product of two teams incapable of playing any defense?

:lol

I'll lean towards the latter. Haven't watched a single second of the game, saw this thread, and shortly saw an alert at the bottom of the screen with a 58-55 score late in the 4th.

Hell with the way this season has gone so far, it may as well be the game of the year.. this year seems more boring than I can remember a college football season being.. maybe that's just me

knickballer 09-21-2013 04:20 PM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
Right now on ABC (maybe showing Duke b/c it's my local area) Pitt @ Duke and it's no doubt a snooze-fest. It's at Duke, and the stands are virtually empty. The only time that stadium is even close to being full is when their sworn rivals are visiting (UNC).

Lack of seats filled, very low national interest in their football program, why even bother?

:confusedshrug:

Hell, when if ever has Duke had a nationally ranked unit in the Top 25?


If that's the case then half of the D1 schools shouldn't exist

Wally450 09-22-2013 01:07 AM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
If that's the case then half of the D1 schools shouldn't exist


Only most SEC schools, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame would exist

Snoop_Cat 09-22-2013 01:29 AM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally450
Only most SEC schools, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame would exist


Not true at all. Loads of schools have huge followings despite being in the "mediocre to decent" range - i.e. Nebraska, Penn State, etc., etc.

DuMa 09-22-2013 02:46 AM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
i think its a requirement for them to be in the ACC

Bucket_Nakedz 09-22-2013 02:51 AM

Re: Why does Duke even have a football program?
 
They suck at football because players are actually expected to go to class and keep a respectable gpa?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy