Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31352)

PleezeBelieve 02-23-2007 06:20 PM

OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned?

Due to me being banned pretty regulary lately, I've been wondering is this for a while. Should the basic human rights of every single American citizen be observed on a privately owned message board?

WhileI understand there are obvious rules and regulations to ISH, to whose discretion are these rules being abided by? Is there a checks and balance for when this individual propietor chooses to invoke his/her "banning" authority?

Now let me add this is not a hate thread or a pot shot at Jeff. Matter of fact, Jeff and I have establish a pretty good chemistry during my last couple of banishments. Hopefully this thread will invoke stimulating and educational discussions that will be heard throughout all internet communities. Thank you for your time.

Xsatyr 02-23-2007 06:22 PM

Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned?

You can be censored, there is no arguing this one. I am pretty sure if Jeff wants to he can just ban someone for the sake of banning them. Especially if you challenge him to, he will do it, speaking from experience.

heavensdevil 02-23-2007 06:24 PM

Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banned?

shut the fuuuuuuuck up.

echo484 02-23-2007 06:25 PM

The first amendment prevents the government from restricting free speech. The cops can't arrest you if you say Smush Parker >>> prime Jordan, but the mods here can ban you for whatever subjective reasons they want.

Yay first post.

Skywalker 02-23-2007 06:25 PM

ming ming bah

reppy 02-23-2007 06:25 PM

Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banne

No.

Xsatyr 02-23-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavensdevil
shut the fuuuuuuuck up.

That is what I said in a civilized manner. :cheers:

bigkingsfan 02-23-2007 06:26 PM

Message board is privately owned. The owner can do anything he wants.

Xsatyr 02-23-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo484
The first amendment prevents the government from restricting free speech. The cops can't arrest you if you say Smush Parker >>> prime Jordan, but the mods here can ban you for whatever subjective reasons they want.

Yay first post.

A newcomer with more sense than PleezeBelieve, not surprised.

SoCalMike 02-23-2007 06:30 PM

You have no absolute rights... follow the board rules and you wont get banned....

From what I have seen, I am not sure you are able to do that.

:pimp:

Skywalker 02-23-2007 06:31 PM

SoCalMike

:pimp:

boozehound 02-23-2007 06:32 PM

Re: OT: Are My Rightful Privileges Of Freedom Of Speech Being Violated When I'm Banne

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
. Should the basic human rights of every single American citizen be observed on a privately owned message board?

As already pointed out, this is a private forum (i.e. a business that reserves the right to serve you for any reason). Also freedom of speech is not a basic human right, it is a specific right protected by the First Amendment.

bigboi_baller 02-23-2007 06:35 PM

Someone needs to start a "how many times you've been banned count"

And from now on, bans should be renamed "being in time-out".

B-Low 02-23-2007 06:37 PM

You used your "freedom of speech" to agree to a bet with LakersDynasty that you LOST, which should have kept you off the board

So in reality you're violating your own freedom of speech by continuing to post after you already agreed to leave.

gts 02-23-2007 06:40 PM

ban him...lol