Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Jonathan Martin situation (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315534)

LoPro4u2c 11-01-2013 08:28 PM

Jonathan Martin situation

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...5006--nfl.html

Why is guy being called Big Weirdo? Is it because of this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=jona...w=1024&bih=672

TonyMontana 11-01-2013 09:12 PM

Re: Jonathan Martin situation

It's pathetic. He ran home crying because his teammates pulled a prank on him. They were eating lunch and the OL told him to come sit with him. So he goes over and sits down, but when he does the OL all gets up and leaves laughing. This type of shit is common in sports, it's a joke.

Is He Ill 11-01-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyMontana
It's pathetic. He ran home crying because his teammates pulled a prank on him. They were eating lunch and the OL told him to come sit with him. So he goes over and sits down, but when he does the OL all gets up and leaves laughing. This type of shit is common in sports, it's a joke.

Well, it doesn't seem like this is the first time. Name calling is pretty low and I can see how this would set someone off after an extended period of time. He obviously sounds like a big wussy, but we don't really know everything about the story. If they were consistently talking sh*t about his family and resorting to name calling, that's not really a joke. Then again, I kind of find that hard to believe.

MavsSuperFan 11-02-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Is He Ill
Well, it doesn't seem like this is the first time. Name calling is pretty low and I can see how this would set someone off after an extended period of time. He obviously sounds like a big wussy, but we don't really know everything about the story. If they were consistently talking sh*t about his family and resorting to name calling, that's not really a joke. Then again, I kind of find that hard to believe.

If it is just what is being reported, he does sound kind of weak, but I guess we dont know to what extent he was being hazed.

It is hard imagining this guy being bullied

Real Men Wear Green 11-02-2013 02:27 PM

We don't know all the details but he sounds way too sensitive for the NFL. I'm not pro-bullying but if you're going to last in a tough league like the NFL you can't be a grown man crying over stupid pranks. Even assuming he comes back from this opposing players are going to needle him endlessly because from now on he's going to be famous for being mentally weak. This isn't me being insensitive, this is me pointing out that the NFL is not a league for the sensitive.

Heavincent 11-02-2013 02:57 PM

What is this, middle school?

ROCSteady 11-02-2013 03:38 PM

The majority of pro athletes are absolute morons. I'm not referring to Martin nor am I being xtra compassionate to his reaction.

The fact is these guys get WAY too much admiration from the general public for a high skillset that really isn't all that profound or inspiring when you think about it.

Kids should look up to the hard work that some pro athletes put in but intellectually, most of these guys behind the scenes represent the skewed nature of value society places on petty bullshit when it boils down to it.

Real Men Wear Green 11-02-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCSteady
The majority of pro athletes are absolute morons. I'm not referring to Martin nor am I being xtra compassionate to his reaction.

The fact is these guys get WAY too much admiration from the general public for a high skillset that really isn't all that profound or inspiring when you think about it.

Kids should look up to the hard work that some pro athletes put in but intellectually, most of these guys behind the scenes represent the skewed nature of value society places on petty bullshit when it boils down to it.

The average pro athlete isn't dumber than the average person. If you exclusively compare them to college graduates they're behind but generally an NFL RB isn't dumber than the guy mowing the lawn. They might even be smarter than the average person.

ROCSteady 11-02-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The average pro athlete isn't dumber than the average person. If you exclusively compare them to college graduates they're behind but generally an NFL RB isn't dumber than the guy mowing the lawn. They might even be smarter than the average person.

I'm not really talking so much 'smart' or 'dumb' as I am mature or adult age-wise. The obnoxious entitlement factor is overwhelming as well. Society and the institutions involved with high level football are more to blame for the creation of this mentality than the people themselves, imo.

However, yes, some of these guys have the intelligence of 14 year olds yet are celebrated like role models.

MavsSuperFan 11-02-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green

Try out the wonderlic test
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Google some of their scores.
come on man no matter how much pressure they were under, those scores are embarrassing.
They are physically gods among men, but mentally...

niko 11-02-2013 08:28 PM

If this was going on for a year like it seems, i kind of feel for him. What are you supposed to do to stop it? Can you crack someone over the head with a bat? Because that would stop it, but that might also get you removed from the team.

Real Men Wear Green 11-02-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCSteady
I'm not really talking so much 'smart' or 'dumb' as I am mature or adult age-wise. The obnoxious entitlement factor is overwhelming as well. Society and the institutions involved with high level football are more to blame for the creation of this mentality than the people themselves, imo.

However, yes, some of these guys have the intelligence of 14 year olds yet are celebrated like role models.

Pro athletes in the major sports for the main part get their asses kissed their whole lives, and the locker room is not exactly the most cultured environment. But in terms of how often they're breaking the law, are NFL players that much worse than the general population?
Quote:

Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Try out the wonderlic test
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Google some of their scores.
come on man no matter how much pressure they were under, those scores are embarrassing.
They are physically gods among men, but mentally...

The average NFL score is 20. And average intelligence is also 20. There being some players with really low scores is no surprise but you have to realize that outliers misrepresent the whole.
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
If this was going on for a year like it seems, i kind of feel for him. What are you supposed to do to stop it? Can you crack someone over the head with a bat? Because that would stop it, but that might also get you removed from the team.

In the NFL the answer probably is to get into a fight. Not sneaking up behind to attack but standing up to him, face-to-face, and getting into an "honorable" brawl. Which hopefully gets broken up soon as 300 lbs men are liable to hurt each other if it lasts a long time. Once a guy knows you're willing to punch him in the mouth he has to choose between getting into a somewhat serious situation or stopping it with the pranks. And the coaching staff may then step in to put a stop to things as well. But the way he's dealt with it is probably going to stigmatize him for the rest of his career. It's nowhere near ideal but the culture is different from the normal job.

GOBB 11-02-2013 09:24 PM

Maybe he is gay and they made gay jokes unaware he is...gay?

Real Men Wear Green 11-02-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB

Possible. If he came out it could be a first step in forcing changes on the locker room.

blacknapalm 11-03-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB

weird. i thought the same thing when i first heard the story. idk...lots of speculation at this point. maybe they knew how to push his buttons and he kept stuff bottled up. fact of the matter is, we don't know what went on. what's his religious background? there could be a lot of different culprits here. he could be dealing with an emotional issue and many times that can get complicated.