Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   University of Western Ontario - Questions (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31567)

RidonKs 02-25-2007 08:32 PM

University of Western Ontario - Questions

Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying their for their commerce program, but it says it's an Ivey University, and they mention that I'd be taking an HBA. Anyone have any idea what either of these mean, and if you actually go there, any information on what the school's like and how hard it is to get in?

Any information would be awesome. I'm also thinking about Carlton and Queens (VERY unlikely - they seem to have really high standards). I'm an 82% student or so, maybe a little more or less.

Thanks for any info you can get me. :cheers:

D-Wade 02-25-2007 08:40 PM

Re: University of Western Ontario - Questions

Wikipedia has alot of information about colleges. I was looking at some in November it gives some good information.

www.wikipedia.org

D-Wade 02-25-2007 08:43 PM

Western has an extensive competitive scholarship program. The University's top scholarships are the National Scholarships [1], which include:

President's Scholarship [2] (awarded to the top 11 entering students) and valued at $24,000 ($6,000 per year).
Faculty Scholarship [3] (awarded to the next 15 students) and valued at $16,000 ($4,000 per year).
National Merit Awards (awarded to up to 50 students) and valued at $2,000 (one year).
Western also offers an unlimited number of admission scholarships based on entering averages:

Continuing Scholarships (unlimited) and valued at $10,000 ($2,500 per year) for students entering with an average in the mid to high 90s.
Western Scholarship of Excellence (unlimited) and valued at $2,000 (one year) for students entering with an average of at least 90%.
Western Scholarship of Distinction (unlimited) and valued at $1,500 (one year) for students entering with an average of at least 85%.

RidonKs 02-25-2007 08:51 PM

Wow, never thought of checking Wiki. Good call man, although their info isn't alway reliable. Thanks.

D-Wade 02-25-2007 08:54 PM

Ment to have a great football team. Thay seem big on sports.

Athletics facilities on campus include the 8,000-seat TD Waterhouse Stadium, the Thompson Recreation and Athletic Centre, which contains an ice rink, an indoor track, curling sheets and tennis facilities, and Alumni Hall, a multi-purpose auditorium for basketball, volleyball and other indoor events. Campus Recreation, found in the UCC, is a facility available to all students and the general public.

Skywalker 02-25-2007 08:56 PM

come to Queens, I live like 3 football fields away, and I know lots of dumb people who go there

i seen hippos 02-25-2007 09:01 PM

I got to UWO. Great school.

Don't know about biz, but we do have the Ivey School of Business...which I guess answer your question kinda. Richard Ivey was some dude...lol

I'm in social science so that's all I can help you with.

D-Wade 02-25-2007 09:03 PM

Richard G. Ivey was a lawyer, businessman and philanthropist

His name is on the Business School at The University of Western Ontario. In 1948 he became the first Chairman of the Advisory Committee at what was then Western Business School. This Advisory Committee was critical in helping the School establish itself as a separate faculty and as the first national school of business in Canada.

He also led the fund drive that made possible the building on campus. His interests extended well beyond the bricks and mortar however, and he financed the first Canadian MBA program, the first Management Training Course as well as the first PHD program in Business. He also donated to the School's Research Fund as well as to the continuing Plan for Excellence which placed Western's Business School in a leadership position in Canada.

Both his son, Richard M. Ivey (HBA '47 and later Chancellor of the University), and his grandchildren, Richard W. (HBA '72) and Rosamond (HBA '82) are graduates of the School.

In 1954, the University granted him an honorary Doctor of Laws degree in recognition of his contributions.

Mr. Ivey remained Chairman of the Advisory Committee until he was elected Chancellor of the University in 1955, a position he held until 1961.

He passed away in 1974.

Done_And_Done 02-25-2007 09:54 PM

Its recoginzed as one of the largest & most prolific post secondary schools throughout all of Ontario. From an educational/career standpoint, its recepted as a pheoniminal facility and at one time my projected school of choice...

From a social/personal standpoint... Ive got more then enough friends who go to UWO and every now and then when i get a chance too, ill reach out there to jam for few nights... AND BUDDY LET ME TELL YOU... Theres girls for days on this campus...

D-Wade 02-25-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
Its recoginzed as one of the largest & most prolific post secondary schools throughout all of Ontario. From an educational/career standpoint, its recepted as a pheoniminal facility and at one time my projected school of choice...

From a social/personal standpoint... Ive got more then enough friends who go to UWO and every now and then when i get a chance too, ill reach out there to jam for few nights... AND BUDDY LET ME TELL YOU... Theres girls for days on this campus...

Nothing better then going to a friends campus and crashing there for a few days.

RidonKs 02-25-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
come to Queens, I live like 3 football fields away, and I know lots of dumb people who go there

Sweet, I should fit right in.

Anyways, thanks guys. I gotta decide what I want within the next few days, but I still don't have any clue what I should do.