Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Incognito/Martin. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324423)

Carbine 02-01-2014 09:54 AM

Incognito/Martin.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...onathan-martin

Quote:

The attorney for Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito has released text messages exchanged between his client and Jonathan Martin that show the players insulting each other and talking as though they were friends.

Mark Schamel provided CBS4 News in Miami 40 pages of texts between Incognito and Martin, which date to December 2012.

More From ESPN.com

The Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito saga has no winners. James Walker offers a few of his thoughts on the situation in Miami. Blog

Revelation of the texts comes one day after Schamel said Martin's comments and texts to Incognito were just as vulgar as the ones Incognito sent to Martin.

Schamel's recent actions come with the league expected to release its report on the Dolphins bullying case at some point after the Super Bowl. The NFLPA, also nearing the end of its own probe, said Thursday that Martin refused to speak with attorney Richard Smith, who the union retained in November to interview witnesses and examine team management's role in Martin leaving the Dolphins.

One of the graphic exchanges was dated Dec. 17, 2012. At one point during the conversation, Martin told Incognito, "Ima egg your house & light a bag of s--- on fire then ring your doorbell."

The teammates continued their banter, with Incognito responding, "I'm going to shoot you and claim self defense. I'm white ur black I'll walk."

Martin answered, saying, "I'm gonna give McDonald bath salts and lock him in your house with a tranquilizer gun & a box of sand paper condoms." Incognito replied to Martin, "Hahaha."

[+] EnlargeRichie Incognito
AP Photo/Wilfredo LeeRichie Incognito and Jonathan Martin talked as though they were friends in text messages released by Incognito's attorney.

According to the report, Incognito and Martin returned to texting the next day as if nothing happened. Other texts released by Schamel to CBS4 showed similar exchanges between Incognito and Martin over the next several months, some that contained "threats" and talk about women, among other things.

Another exchange between the two came Oct. 23, when Incognito texted "F--- you!!!" to Martin, who responded with a photo that read, "I will murder your whole f---ing family."

After Martin left the Dolphins in October, there were other exchanges including when Incognito repeatedly asked Martin to call him and asked him if he was OK. Martin responded Nov. 1, saying, "Wassup man? The world's gone crazy lol I'm good tho congrats on the win."

Incognito replied, "Thanks dude. It's unbelievable all the attention this is getting. All that's important is that you feel better and know we miss u dude."

Martin then said in a text on the same day, "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all its just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little Btw never check yourself into a mental hospital."

Also on Nov. 2, Incognito called Martin "buddy," then pleaded for his help because he was getting "killed" in the media over the emerging scandal. However, Schamel said Martin never responded.

ALBballer 02-01-2014 10:29 AM

Re: Incognito/Martin.

But but he's a racist bully!!!!11111111

The story isn't so black and white I guess.....

Real Men Wear Green 02-01-2014 10:32 AM

I'm having a hard time figuring out why Martin didn't speak with the NFLPA investigator. May have had a more benign reason but it seems to me like that may have been advice from his lawyer prepping to sue.

My latest uneducated guess: Incognito thought Martin was cool with it because he was going along while Martin was secretly struggling with it. Martin seems too sensitive for football regardless. I don't like Incognito but that has more to do with the harassing of the golf course girl than this incident. The "culture of football" doesn't excuse any kind of behavior but we should all recognize the possibility that although the language was nasty Incognito's intent wasn't truly malicious.

MavsSuperFan 02-01-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I'm having a hard time figuring out why Martin didn't speak with the NFLPA investigator. May have had a more benign reason but it seems to me like that may have been advice from his lawyer prepping to sue.

My latest uneducated guess: Incognito thought Martin was cool with it because he was going along while Martin was secretly struggling with it. Martin seems too sensitive for football regardless. I don't like Incognito but that has more to do with the harassing of the golf course girl than this incident. The "culture of football" doesn't excuse any kind of behavior but we should all recognize the possibility that although the language was nasty Incognito's intent wasn't truly malicious.

I think that is what it is too. Like I have said previously, I dont think Incognito is a racist. I just think he is extremely abrasive and confrontational.

Contrast how black players reacted to incognito and riley cooper. Black players on the dolphins were unanimous (correct me if i am wrong) in there support of incognito. I believe mike wallace called him a great guy, and mike pouncey called him his brother. Supposedly he was even considered an honorary black guy.

Cooper on the other hand was ostracized by his teammates, and there was even talk about his teammates not wanting to play with him.

Its obvious that black people close to incognito didnt think of him as a racist. And that tmz video of incognito and pouncey at a bar, proved that they were ok with him using the n-word.

I dont think incognito targeted martin because he was black. I believe that a white player with martin's disposition would have gotten the same treatment. Obviously different slurs would have been used, but it would have been the same treatment. I would even go as far as saying that incognito legitimately didnt think what he was doing was wrong.

GOBB 02-01-2014 03:12 PM

This is terrible for Martin if he wants to get back to playing football. Good for Richie in a sense he wasn't as much of a villain as it was put out there. Still a meathead big mouth. Cant erase that regardless of texts. But he wasn't malicious picking on a random kid.

Where prejudging goes wrong.

MavsSuperFan 02-01-2014 03:32 PM

honestly now that i think about it more i am pissed at martin.

He robbed a season from incognito.

If martin had problems he should have just told incognito.

It makes martin seem like a soft whiner

BasedTom 02-04-2014 12:21 AM

Here is a log of the texts they sent
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpres...02/ritojm1.pdf

The banter is more humorous than threatening, at least from my perspective. Most of the texts are about meeting up and picking up bitches. Not so much locker room stuff.

Incognito and Martin were planning trips to Vegas, NYC, Brazil, Hawaii, and Germany. I think it's safe to say they were good friends and that Incognito legitimately had no idea that this was going to blow up into such a scandal

Bless Mathews 02-04-2014 12:23 AM

Martin is a big bitch. Plain and simple.

1987_Lakers 02-04-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasedTom
Here is a log of the texts they sent
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpres...02/ritojm1.pdf

The banter is more humorous than threatening, at least from my perspective. Most of the texts are about meeting up and picking up bitches. Not so much locker room stuff.

Incognito and Martin were planning trips to Vegas, NYC, Brazil, Hawaii, and Germany. I think it's safe to say they were good friends and that Incognito legitimately had no idea that this was going to blow up into such a scandal

Damn, they thirsty ass f***.

12/24/2012 2:08 She was terrible at blow jobs, but I still busted all over her haha Jonathan Martin
12/24/2012 9:35 Fsho. U left? Jonathan Martin
12/24/2012 9:35 She was terrible at blow jobs, but I still busted all over her haha Jonathan Martin
12/24/2012 9:35 Nice!!! Richie Incognito
12/24/2012 9:38 How much was that room? Jonathan Martin
12/24/2012 9:42 199 Richie Incognito
12/24/2012 9:43 I got the worst hand job ever! My wein is so chaffed right now Richie Incognito

Incognito also tells Martin to not forget the cocaine.:oldlol:

BasedTom 02-04-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bless Mathews

As a Dolphins fan I can tell you that the O-Line was getting criticized even before the scandal blew up. Martin was not meeting expectations.

It wouldn't be a surprise if he feared getting cut and decided to betray Incognito to cash in. His parents are lawyers, and the media loves stories about bullying, race, etc.

RedBlackAttack 02-04-2014 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasedTom
As a Dolphins fan I can tell you that the O-Line was getting criticized even before the scandal blew up. Martin was not meeting expectations.

It wouldn't be a surprise if he feared getting cut and decided to betray Incognito to cash in. His parents are lawyers, and the media loves stories about bullying, race, etc.

I didn't get that sense reading through the texts. I just think Martin is much more sensitive than he was trying to let on. Incognito didn't realize it in his football/partying haze. It comes off as though Martin was trying to be a good sport and return fire, but it was a show.

It also appeared as though he might be more of a loner who likes to chill at home whereas Incognito is the life of the party type who was constantly trying to coax him to go out. You can see, Martin is constantly making excuses for why he can't go out.

I don't really think anyone is to blame. Just conflicting personalities, except Martin was trying to paint himself as something he wasn't and Incognito didn't realize it.

A sort of really weird incidence of peer pressure.

niko 02-04-2014 08:17 AM

I think the thing to do is wait and see what else there is. Otherwise it will be a day to day change of mind (rightly so) based on what is there. Clearly based on this there isn't bullying but it's never been just text messages, people just are fixated on them.

we'll see soon but clearly this stuff albeit vulgar is NOT bullying.

DukeDelonte13 02-04-2014 12:17 PM

what a baby-back b*tch.

CelticBaller 02-04-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bless Mathews

this

ALBballer 02-04-2014 01:28 PM

Those texts lol. I guess Johnathan Martin isn't the good alter Stanford graduate boy that he was portrayed to be.

Gotta love the media for making such hard stances with so little information. Maybe it's time they come out and flat out say they were wrong.