Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What's Cleveland doing? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325425)

Carbine 02-11-2014 11:31 AM

What's Cleveland doing?

Just let go Lombardi and Banner. I'm sure a lot of Browns fan did not like those two, but you gotta at least give them this year (they maneuvered to have two 1st rounds picks, two 3rd round picks and two 4th round picks for this draft) to see how they could build this roster.

CelticBaller 02-11-2014 01:42 PM

Re: What's Cleveland doing?

Cleveland, where patience doesn't exist

Rasheed1 02-11-2014 03:02 PM

:roll: Banner out

RedBlackAttack 02-11-2014 03:03 PM

Haslem needs to be shoved off the 480 Bridge before he does any more damage to this franchise.

GOBB 02-11-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Haslem needs to be shoved off the 480 Bridge before he does any more damage to this franchise.

What did Lombardi do tho that you would have liked to keep him? Assess his decisions since getting the job.

-p.tiddy- 02-11-2014 03:40 PM

I really can't even remember a time when Cleveland wasn't in rebuild mode...

Jailblazers7 02-11-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
What did Lombardi do tho that you would have liked to keep him? Assess his decisions since getting the job.

Don't poke the bear. You are going to bait RBA into writing a series of short stories about the life and career of Lombardi.

GOBB 02-11-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Don't poke the bear. You are going to bait RBA into writing a series of short stories about the life and career of Lombardi.

:roll:

RedBlackAttack 02-11-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

:roll:

Where were we...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB

I haven't agreed with too many of the decisions Lombardi has made since getting the job and I hated his hiring the moment it was announced. I thought it was a dumb move by Haslem and I still think it was a dumb move.

I'm not shaking my head today because Lombardi was any great shakes as team president or because Banner was doing a great job. Fact of the matter, they've both been pretty horrendous.

Still, we are in a constant state of upheaval. That's what is disconcerting. Especially this close to the draft, to replace the top of the front office seems like it might be another recipe for disaster. Or, maybe getting rid of these guys will save us from more bad decisions come draft time. This is a hugely important draft for the Browns. We have seven picks in the first four rounds.

Considering this is a team already with six Pro Bowlers and five All-Pros, it feels like this team is close to being good. One more really good draft with all these picks could put it over-the-top.

But, again, can a franchise be successful with this amount of dysfunction at the top? On the bright side, it isn't as if Ray Farmer is coming in and starting from square one. He's been our top personnel guy since Banner/Lombardi came on board.

The biggest concern is, reportedly, Farmer wasn't even at the meetings with Pettine prior to his being hired, so is this Farmer's guy or are we facing yet another situation where the new GM will eventually want his handpicked guy?

Those are the kinds of problems that come with constant change at the top of the front office.

But, as for Lombardi and Banner? Their short tenure was pretty awful. Banner's refusal to give up any of the power in personnel decisions is probably the main reason none of the big name potentially available coaches even wanted to discuss taking the HC job here.

No love is lost for those fools.

[/shortstory]

SCY 02-11-2014 07:07 PM

:wtf: Why not boot these dummies before you start your new coaching search, or better yet before they axed the previous staff. It makes no sense.

I do think the current coaching staff is surprisingly solid considering they were picking through scraps, but still.

bisk 02-11-2014 08:24 PM

Great news. Thank goodness for that.
A little faith has been restored, just a little, though.

Rasheed1 02-11-2014 09:26 PM

I think firing Lombardi and Banner was a good move.. They are clearly out of touch with what works in the Nfl.

I don't know much about the new guy (Farmer?), but I know a lot about the old guys and they are antiquated and in Banner's case, overrated.

I suspect the Browns have save themselves a lot of future problems by getting rid of those 2 so fast..

Carbine 02-11-2014 09:28 PM

I'm lost, what did they do player/decision wise that was so bad?

I loved what they did getting the draft picks for this year. Like Mingo's potential a lot. Like McFadden the 3rd round corner, thin he's going to be contribute for a long time. What am I missing?

irondarts 02-11-2014 10:58 PM

Again, it's not a terrible move. But the astonishing part is the order in which they've made these decisions.

Now it's being reported that new Browns GM Ray Farmer (who was the Browns assistant GM before being promoted today to GM) wasn't at Mike Pettine's interviews and that Pettine wasn't his first choice for the Head Coaching position.

So now - you have a new GM who doesn't really like the new Head Coach. Could we potentially see another 1 and done coach for the Browns? If Pettine isn't Farmer's guy, then he might fire him as soon as he can.

Again, the order in which Haslam has done these moves is just baffling.

However, Ray Farmer is a highly respected personnel guy and this is probably a very good move for the Browns. But why promote him right after hiring a new Head Coach who wasn't Farmer's first choice? Weird.

irondarts 02-11-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbine
I'm lost, what did they do player/decision wise that was so bad?

I loved what they did getting the draft picks for this year. Like Mingo's potential a lot. Like McFadden the 3rd round corner, thin he's going to be contribute for a long time. What am I missing?

It seems like the problem was that EVERYBODY in other NFL Front Offices hated both Banner and Lombardi. A lot of NFL executives came out today and said that now that Ray Farmer is the GM they will be open to doing business with the Browns again.