Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   I just don't get it! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3263)

RageMcTurpentine 06-29-2006 01:47 AM

I just don't get it!

*Example* Denver drafts Leon Powe with the 49th pick then trades him to Boston for a future second rounder. Powe is a second team all-american from Cal with an average of 20 and 10 and a history of Knee problems.

Where I get confused is why do teams draft a player in the second round that has the pototential to be a contributer and trade him for nothing in return. Powe is a banger down low who has skills and brings alot of energy and was in the late first round of several mock drafts. There is no obligation for a second round pick, no guarenteed money, no guarenteed spot. The best thing that could happen would be for the guy to develop into a major contributer to a ball club. The worst thing that could happen is for him to reinjure his knee or simply fall off the radar. It's like buying a lottery ticket and if you dont win you get your money back.

Anyway could someone please explain why teams make these trades?:confusedshrug:

Tsuj10 06-29-2006 08:59 PM

As simple as teams not wanting to pay their draft picks. Who knows how value a future second rounder could be as well; it's not a bad move to get rid of a second in this year's weak draft for a high second in a strong draft. The move is about money and patience.

RageMcTurpentine 06-29-2006 10:35 PM

OK the patience side of it I get but a socond round pick is not guarenteed money so they dont have to pay him. I'm just sick of seeing the Nuggets throw away draft picks for no reason just look at Jameer Nelson they got him for a steel at 20 and gave him straight up and look at him now!

nick 06-29-2006 10:46 PM

nick

they cant really tell who's going to be the best just looking at college hoops material and predraft workouts. what they can do is take an informed guess and if a team feels a person will not fit their plans for now or for later they will trade that person. E.g. Shaq. It was time for the lakers to rebuild and i think it was a pretty good trade and they will be a pretty good team in awhile but probably not win a championship.
GM's take chances and they have 2. Supreme example is Isiah Thomas. Who traded for eddy curry. personally i think it was a great trade and eddy curry will be the face of the franchise sooner or later. i also think if it doesnt work he gave up tyrus thomas who i dont think will be that great of a player anyway so does it really matter?

Zalendar 06-29-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageMcTurpentine
OK the patience side of it I get but a socond round pick is not guarenteed money so they dont have to pay him. I'm just sick of seeing the Nuggets throw away draft picks for no reason just look at Jameer Nelson they got him for a steel at 20 and gave him straight up and look at him now!

They didn't throw away a draft pick for no reason.

They just delayed the draft pick. They got a future second round pick in return.

Pointguard01 06-30-2006 12:53 AM

1. They dont see a 2nd rounder making their team
2. They have multiple 2nd rounders.
3. They feel they can get just as good a player in the undrafted market.
4. They targeted players werent on the board.

There are many reasons....

disco 07-03-2006 12:55 PM

Next year's draft will be much deeper, and maybe they hope they'll get someone they really like even in the second round