Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blue Jays Season 2014 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327326)

brwnman 02-27-2014 04:36 PM

Blue Jays Season 2014

I guess with Spring Training underway, it's time for a new thread.
2-0 (Grapefruit League Champions!)

I wonder what the marketing slogan is for this season
#loathethisteam

Questions?

5th starter? (Dickey, Morrow, Buehrle & Happ are good bets to be top 4) Fighting for that 5th spot: Esmil Rogers, Redmond, Hutch, Drabek, Stroman, McGowan & Romero.

LF? Melky looks a little better running down the baseline, but in the field, still a butcher.

2B? Goins has the leg-up, new hitting coach Seitzer really likes him.

Development of Lawrie/Rasmus? Early on Lawrie looks good. He has continued the quite approach with his hands from the 2nd half of last year.

Bautista/Edwin/Lind? must stay healthy, can't have a drop in production

Bullpen? Will be solid; really a position of strength

Jballer 02-28-2014 04:54 PM

Re: Blue Jays Season 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by brwnman
Questions?

5th starter? (Dickey, Morrow, Buehrle & Happ are good bets to be top 4) Fighting for that 5th spot: Esmil Rogers, Redmond, Hutch, Drabek, Stroman, McGowan & Romero.

Bullpen? Will be solid; really a position of strength

:cheers:

1) Same Roster - same results (in all probability)

2) Question or Problem? 5th spot: Esmil Rogers, Redmond, Hutch, Drabek, Stroman, McGowan & Romero.

None are named Zack Grenkie

3) Question or Problem? Bullpen? Will be solid; really a position of strength

DJMason 03-08-2014 12:41 PM

Santana on a one-year is pretty effin sweet. Now that one pick is gone go sign Drew due to the propensity of flags to fly for a near infinite period of time.

brwnman 03-08-2014 12:44 PM

Enrique Rojas says no deal is reached. If he doesn't get an offer by 5pm, Ervin will accept the Jays offer.

And I would love Drew on a 1yr deal.

Qwyjibo 03-12-2014 10:40 AM

So what was the point of all of last year's deals if the team isn't going to continue making the needed improvements to "win now" as was the plan? Was that it? Was this entire window banking on last year's trade and the current roster with no further flexibility?

This is so frustrating. The Jays right now are straddling a middle ground. They don't look like a bad team going into the season but in the AL East you need to be a great team. I'd be surprised if any predictions will have the Jays higher than 5th in ALE. They look like an obvious last place team compared to the rest of the East.

brwnman 03-12-2014 02:48 PM

I think Red Sox will miss playoffs. Orioles look better, Yankees seem to have gotten better (yes even with Cano not there) and Rays will be Rays.

I expect a fire sale mid way through the season for the Jays.

As for today's game, Stroman struggled, gave up a homer. Romero had a good statline. He had one bad inning (2bbs 1 hit, 1ER), outside of that, he was good. He's put himself in the conversation for that 5th spot in the rotation.

Qwyjibo 03-12-2014 04:46 PM

Romero is not on the 40-man roster though, right? I don't think he's got a shot at the #5 spot. In fact, I'd be surprised if he makes more than 2 starts (due to other people getting injured) for the Jays this year.

brwnman 03-12-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Romero is not on the 40-man roster though, right? I don't think he's got a shot at the #5 spot. In fact, I'd be surprised if he makes more than 2 starts (due to other people getting injured) for the Jays this year.

I don't believe he is on the 40-man. But I think Happ may start the year on the DL. Stroman isn't ready. And if Redmond and Esmil struggle trying to get that 5th spot and Romero continues to pitch well, he'll have a shot. I don't think he's a favorite or anything, but he's been given a fair shot in spring.

Toni 03-13-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brwnman
I don't believe he is on the 40-man. But I think Happ may start the year on the DL. Stroman isn't ready. And if Redmond and Esmil struggle trying to get that 5th spot and Romero continues to pitch well, he'll have a shot. I don't think he's a favorite or anything, but he's been given a fair shot in spring.

I'd put him in the bullpen and try to get his value up to hopefully trade him this season and get his salary off the books.

RaininThrees 03-14-2014 07:01 AM

I think we all have to face the fact that this team, as presently constituted, does not have a 5th starter.

bluerap 03-14-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I think we all have to face the fact that this team, as presently constituted, does not have a 5th starter.

Does it have a 4th?

I can't believe they didn't sign Santana. Why not offer him 16million? Or two years?

Pathetic off-season.

If they play 500 ball during the first month of the season I think they will have to can AA and hire a gm to trade off the assets for a rebuild.

Dr.Funk 03-14-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap
Does it have a 4th?

I can't believe they didn't sign Santana. Why not offer him 16million? Or two years?

Pathetic off-season.

If they play 500 ball during the first month of the season I think they will have to can AA and hire a gm to trade off the assets for a rebuild.

Hutchison.

Dude is dealin' so far.

bluerap 03-14-2014 11:20 PM

Right now I got Hutch as our 3rd starter

Dickey
Buerhle
Hutch

Morrow is garbage.

Dr.Funk 03-15-2014 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap
Right now I got Hutch as our 3rd starter

Dickey
Buerhle
Hutch

Morrow is garbage.

Morrow is still a lock.

If Ricky continues the way he has been the last couple of starts and neither Redmond, Rogers or Drabek impress I wouldn't be against giving him the 5th spot. But not being on the 40 man is hurting his chances.

DJMason 03-15-2014 05:54 PM

Don't worry guys, sometime in June we'll trade one or both of stroman and Sanchez for the Shark a couple months before the whole front office gets shitcanned. Much better than paying $2 mill more on a one-year for Santana.