Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Keep Mike James or let him go? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339)

insidehoops 06-04-2006 10:59 PM

Keep Mike James or let him go?

Keep Mike James or let him go?

What are the factors?

Pistol Pete 06-04-2006 11:04 PM

I think there is only one choice, and that's to let go of Mike James. Let's face it, he was a great player for the rental year that he was here. He enabled us to get rid of Rafer Alston, and the play he gave us was something that I never expected. He really did exceed expectations.

However, he simply doesn't fit the team aspect and the future plan of the team. He is going to want big money to be the 2nd option on the team and he just isn't worth it. He disrupts the flow of the offense late in games when Chris Bosh needs to take over.

I appreciate what he did for the club last season, but unfortunately he has got to go.

Jerm 06-04-2006 11:06 PM

I would have liked to keep him but he'll probably demand more years and more money than we should/be willing to give him. He's already making comments saying he'll keep improving and if he takes a 5 year deal, then in 5 years, he'll be outplaying that deal which doesn't make sense seeing that this guy is 30 already. He isn't a bad teammate on the floor but his age and the amount of money he's demanding will be the deciding factors against keeping him. Hopefully his talks will scare off teams and enable us keep him for bargain prices.

Bigtortiaman 06-04-2006 11:12 PM

it really deppends on how much money hes asking, mike james competitve drive seems to be his downfall. he gets into the mind set that nomatter how bad the shot hes belives he can make it

DeepStich 06-05-2006 12:13 AM

I say keep him for now...

Zalendar 06-05-2006 07:57 AM

I really like his work ethic and heart, but I don't know if his game really fits in with what the Raps are trying to do. Maybe see if they can get a sign and trade going or something for him.

J Miles 23 06-05-2006 10:14 AM

i say let him go..like he was really good in terms of scoring but i really didn't like the fact that he kept the ball during late game situations...and took dumb shots trying to be the hero...he needs to learn to dump it down to Bosh

J Miles 23 06-05-2006 10:14 AM

i say let him go..like he was really good in terms of scoring but i really didn't like the fact that he kept the ball during late game situations...and took dumb shots trying to be the hero...he needs to learn to dump it down to Bosh

bonez26 06-05-2006 10:27 AM

Let him go too mouthy and self righteous for me...we can get MArcus Williams or Jarrett Jack in a trade.

The Captain 06-05-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Miles 23

He constantly spoiled his overall performances by his play in the final minutes. In the end it's not the stats that count, but if they win or lose... and there's the argument that he kept the raps alive during games, and maybe so, but other's would have stepped up if he wasn't there.

A perfect scenario would be to have him come off the bench and score in bunches, then yank him EVERYTIME there's about 3 minutes left in the game. It drove me mad on the last posessions of games, Bosh and everyone standing around, while James tries and fails to pull off a Jordan.

Having him come off the bench will never happen, and he will ask for way too much, so we got to let him go, or at least sign and trade him

power works 06-05-2006 10:51 AM

MONEY!

That is the only factor.

BC has said since the end of the season that if MJ is reasonable in his financial demands, then the Raps are interested. If not, there's always a sign-and-trade option. If that fails and they lose MJ for nothing, an extra 3 or so mil of cap space is now available. It's a win-win situation as far as BC is concerned.

IMO, If BC gets a semi-sweet deal on MJ via a sign-and-trade, he's a goner. Remember, this is the GM that didn't hesitate trading Starbury in Phoenix. And his track record shows he sees the incredible importance of a pass first PG.

I would quantify the chances of MJ being back at this point at 33%.

Bourne 06-05-2006 03:28 PM

pistol pete hit it right on the head when he called Mike James a one year rental.

The REAL Next KNICK 06-05-2006 03:41 PM

raptors are going to let him go and if houston doesnt grab him new york will

Bourne 06-05-2006 05:55 PM

NY can't grab him, because he ain't signing for the MLE and the brokeass knicks can't afford anything for years.

Orealius 06-05-2006 06:04 PM

He's as good as gone.