Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Should Charlie Villanueva be traded for a 'true' small forward? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340)

insidehoops 06-04-2006 11:00 PM

Should Charlie Villanueva be traded for a 'true' small forward?

How do you feel about Villanueva and him continuing to play next to Chris Bosh?

Pistol Pete 06-04-2006 11:08 PM

I don't think Charlie Villaneuva should be traded for a "true" small forward, simply because he doesn't play out of place at the 3 position. His game is modelled after that of a small forward, and if he happens to be around 6'10 then so be it. Charlie is an extremely talented player whom has potential through the roof and is continually getting better. Trading him at this point would in most cases be a gross error.

Bigtortiaman 06-04-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I don't think Charlie Villaneuva should be traded for a "true" small forward, simply because he doesn't play out of place at the 3 position. His game is modelled after that of a small forward, and if he happens to be around 6'10 then so be it. Charlie is an extremely talented player whom has potential through the roof and is continually getting better. Trading him at this point would in most cases be a gross error.

this man speaks the truth

DeepStich 06-05-2006 12:16 AM

I agree with Pistol Pete (nice nickname, btw). But I think Charlie should be playing the number 4, which he actually does, and does pretty well. I think he's strong enough, tall enough and fast enough and the fact that he shoots a trey from time to time is an added bonus. I also think him and Bosh make a gread duo. In hindsight, I think Babcock actually made a good pick there (for once)...

hawkfan 06-05-2006 04:40 AM

Trade scenario

Hawks get

Villenueva

Raptors get

No. 5 pick in the draft (either Roy or Morrison)

The Raptors then have a lineup of James, Graham, Roy or Morrison, Barghnani and Bosh.

The Hawks get a big they need badly.

Good trade for both teams.

Velocirap31 06-05-2006 07:45 AM

^ That is a really good trade for both teams. However, I believe Villenueva has too much upside...

Zalendar 06-05-2006 07:53 AM

That trade wouldn't happen. Colangelo has stated a few times that he feels the Raps have enough young players and wants to add some vets. So adding a second first round pick wouldn't be likely.

If Colangelo was going to trade Villy it would be for a veteran player of some sort.

Though, I wouldn't like for him to trade Villy just for the fact that I think he is a great player and I want to see him develop.

kwajo 06-05-2006 10:55 AM

I'd take Deng + something for Villa, but outside of that, keep him.

The Captain 06-05-2006 11:17 AM

Eventually there needs to be a stable rotation on this team if it's looking to win a championship. If you look at the teams that are successfull (Spurs, Pistons, MAvs, etc..), there's a core group that doesn't change.

Trading V for a rook would not help the team NOW...eventually you have to stop building for tomorrow and build for today, and the raps finally have the tools with Bosh, V, Graham and Mo.

They're young, but now it's time to tinker around them. They need the PG and CEntre spots filled, and they need Vet leadership, so go out and get a vet PG and A vet Centre (Przybilla, knight or whatever)

I realize Aldridge and marcus may have huge upside, but enough about tomorrow, let's start winning now. And buy taking Bargagni and a lower spot, your adding much needed depth. BC's thought, i figure, is if the #1 pick can't contribute right away, then we can trade down, get help now with vets, and take "potential" with a later pick.

This would make us good now, and keep us good for the futur.

power works 06-05-2006 12:14 PM

Depends on who they’re trading for. I consider Charlie V all-star material, so naturally Raps should get all-star material back. Nothing less.

Of course that player would also be a great perimeter defender, which is probably the only reason you’d trade Charlie in the first place.

If the right trade came along…..somebody in the Josh Howard mold, and Charlie becomes too much of a liability on defence, then that’s the only scenario.

But, IMO I don’t think It’ll come to that. Charlie is a hard worker and I expect him to be better defensively next season.

Bourne 06-05-2006 03:24 PM

Unless the Raptors are ripping off the other team, he should not get traded. He and Bosh are the franchise's future foundation, the player that comes in the draft will be the third if you ask me.

Don't know about you guys, but to me Charlie > 95% of the players in this draft.

Orealius 06-05-2006 06:02 PM

I'd do Charlie V for Josh Howard anyday.
Also Deng/Nocioni + Duhon for Charlie would be nice.

Bourne 06-05-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orealius
I'd do Charlie V for Josh Howard anyday.
Also Deng/Nocioni + Duhon for Charlie would be nice.

The second one would be great.

I always get JHo and Marquis Daniels confused. To me they are the same person.

Pistol Pete 06-05-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne
The second one would be great.

I always get JHo and Marquis Daniels confused. To me they are the same person.

Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels are completely different players and should not be confused. Josh Howard has blossomed into a budding star in this league and second fiddle to Dirk Nowitzki on the future NBA Champs, while Marquis Daniels signed to a big contract after his one good year and has really had trouble earning his keep due to injury and just being outperformed. Josh Howard will be making the big dollars when it comes time for him to sign on the dotted line, the kid is an amazing player, and I would definately be open to trading Charlie Villaneuva for him. I, However, would not trade Charlie Villaneuva for Marquis Daniels.

craigthomasb 06-05-2006 06:42 PM

at the minute i wouldnt swap charlie with jhoward, i think charlie v has so much potential, when hes josh's age he will be a better all round player