Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Mavericks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34384)

kentatm 03-20-2007 12:50 PM

Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

FWST NEW YORK -- The loss is almost a week old, and Dirk Nowitzki let it linger.

Falling to Phoenix 129-127 in double overtime last Wednesday bothered the MVP contender to the point he could hardly sleep the next few nights, knowing he didn't do enough.

He's moved on since, as have the rest of the Mavericks. It just wasn't easy for Nowitzki.

"I felt like the team played well enough to get the win," he said Monday afternoon. "I just couldn't help my team enough down the stretch to win. I missed free throws. Actually, I had a great look from 17, 18 feet with about 50 seconds left [in regulation] that I think could have clinched the win.

"I took it really, really hard. About as hard as I've ever taken a regular[-season] loss."


Beating Boston on Friday served as the bridge Nowitzki needed to prepare for a showdown at Detroit, a 92-88 win that had essentially the same closing circumstances (a six-point lead with about 30 seconds left) the Mavs had against the Suns.

Lesson learned.

"We were able to finish the deal," Jason Terry said on the eve of tonight's meeting with the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

The Pistons weren't given the same opportunities that Steve Nash exploited at American Airlines Center.

"We were able to rebound," coach Avery Johnson said. "We were all on the same page defensively. We didn't have any breakdowns. We scored the ball when we needed to. We made our free throws."

Nowitzki missed two freebies against the Suns, one of the reasons he beat himself up afterward.

"We feel we had it," he said. "We're up seven with a minute to go. There's no way we should have lost that game, but we did because I didn't make the necessary plays."

Why did Nowitzki take the loss so hard? For one, Phoenix is the only team with a realistic chance of catching the Mavs (54-11) for the top seed in the West. Being at home and the Nash factor -- "He's trying to stick it to us wherever he can," Nowitzki reminded -- added to the buildup.

But more than anything, Nowitzki expects more of himself than anyone. Even Johnson. He expects to be automatic with the game on the line, realizing no one is.

"I'm 28 now," Nowitzki said. "I shouldn't miss a free throw down the stretch, but I guess it happens. We're all human. If we were all machines, the game would be boring. I guess emotions play a factor in a big game like that, and I did miss two free throws that are crucial."

Nowitzki isn't worried about his image or that of the Mavs, even in the media capital of the world, although he joked: "What do they think here in New York?"

He's also smart enough to know what's on everyone's mind.

"What everybody remembers is a little bit of our meltdown in the Finals last year, but the only way that we can make them forget is going there again and hopefully closing it all out," he said. "That's the only thing that really, in my mind even, can make me forget about what happened last year in the Finals."

His motivation isn't derived from gaining national respect. It's certainly not about winning the MVP. It stems from his sense of responsibility to his team.

That's why he remained for an hour, working with trainer Casey Smith, after the rest of the team finished practice at Columbia University. Nowitzki was there so long, the school's team had filtered onto the court to begin warmups.

The routine isn't unique. Nowitzki normally works out at night, when the notepads and cameras aren't around. But he couldn't get a gym Monday night, so he stayed.

Nowitzki's work ethic is well-chronicled. His will to be the difference-maker isn't as well known, at least outside of North Texas.

"I love to have the ball at the end of the games," he said. "That's what it's all about, to have teammates trust you and you have the confidence in yourself that you can get it done.

"So it's a great situation to be in, but on the other hand, we all know if you make it, you're the hero; if you miss it, you're the goat."


And you don't sleep.

I'm glad to have a guy that puts it on hmself and not other factors.

different107 03-20-2007 01:48 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentatm
I'm glad to have a guy that puts it on hmself and not other factors.


Dirk is the man :applause:

Silent Mav 03-20-2007 03:25 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Nowitzki's work ethic is well-chronicled. His will to be the difference-maker isn't as well known, at least outside of North Texas.


I don't think his work ethic is that well-chronicled outside of North Texas. It's a shame more national media don't pick up on stories like this. But I guess breaking stories like this doesn't get you face time on tv.

different107 03-20-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Mav
I don't think his work ethic is that well-chronicled outside of North Texas. It's a shame more national media don't pick up on stories like this. But I guess breaking stories like this doesn't get you face time on tv.


Dirk did an interview with Ahmad Rashad that was pretty good. I saw part 1, and what I saw was really well done.

SUNS IN 07 03-20-2007 03:59 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Mark Cuban is scared,because he let go of one of the most amazing players in NBA history.Dirk is good but he is NOT the MVP.If anything Jason Terry is the Mavs best player has he takes and makes there big shot's while Dirk folds.By the way Dirk is such a crybaby,in the 2ot game Amare abused him in the low post and he was pleading for an offensive foul.Steve Nash is not only the mvp but a better leader as well.I don't care what anyone says, the suns were the most amazing team in the 06 Playoffs.We were undersized and undermatched,and has the experts put us down left and right we still won because of great leadership.Dallas fans can gloat all they want but they beat a team that was missing there whole frontline, STAT,Kurt Thomas,Brian Grant all injured while Raja Bell goes down has well.Had Bell been playing phx would have beat Dallas and ran Miami out of the gym.Pat Riley even said they had no answer for the suns.If they give Dirk the MVP Dallas had better watch out, because Dirk knows better then anyone not to make the true MVP mad.STEVE NASH MV3 MV3 MV3 MV3!!!









MOD EDIT - SUNS IN 07 is a lazy one b.c he already posted this exact same thing elsewhere. i would never do that.... wait... never mind.

LiL Stevie 03-20-2007 04:53 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
^^:wtf:

IMaNOWITZNESS 03-20-2007 08:45 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNS IN 07
Mark Cuban is scared,because he let go of one of the most amazing players in NBA history.Dirk is good but he is NOT the MVP.If anything Jason Terry is the Mavs best player has he takes and makes there big shot's while Dirk folds.By the way Dirk is such a crybaby,in the 2ot game Amare abused him in the low post and he was pleading for an offensive foul.Steve Nash is not only the mvp but a better leader as well.I don't care what anyone says, the suns were the most amazing team in the 06 Playoffs.We were undersized and undermatched,and has the experts put us down left and right we still won because of great leadership.Dallas fans can gloat all they want but they beat a team that was missing there whole frontline, STAT,Kurt Thomas,Brian Grant all injured while Raja Bell goes down has well.Had Bell been playing phx would have beat Dallas and ran Miami out of the gym.Pat Riley even said they had no answer for the suns.If they give Dirk the MVP Dallas had better watch out, because Dirk knows better then anyone not to make the true MVP mad.STEVE NASH MV3 MV3 MV3 MV3!!!


hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha okay u were wrong from jason terry being the best player to the bottom :wtf: WOW dirks the best player then josh howard jason terry is the 3rd to me...2nd of all why would steve nash be mad at dirk for winnging mfp..he won it 2 times in a row and nash said dirk has his vote....and the other thing they are BEST FRIENDS u dip**** do u ever watch ur team?.. u know what i dont feel like talking to a moron so go b a dumbass in the phoenix forum

SUNS IN 07 03-20-2007 09:05 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IMaNOWITZNESS
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha okay u were wrong from jason terry being the best player to the bottom :wtf: WOW dirks the best player then josh howard jason terry is the 3rd to me...2nd of all why would steve nash be mad at dirk for winnging mfp..he won it 2 times in a row and nash said dirk has his vote....and the other thing they are BEST FRIENDS u dip**** do u ever watch ur team?.. u know what i dont feel like talking to a moron so go b a dumbass in the phoenix forum


mfp?:rolleyes:

Silent Mav 03-20-2007 09:20 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
You are really proud of that post. You've used it in 3 threads. Brian Grant was shot and noone is afraid of Kurt Thomas. They wouldn't have been any help at all.

SUNS IN 07 03-20-2007 09:44 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Mav
You are really proud of that post. You've used it in 3 threads. Brian Grant was shot and noone is afraid of Kurt Thomas. They wouldn't have been any help at all.

But what about Amare who recently destroyed u.

Silent Mav 03-20-2007 10:42 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
A two point win is hardly destroying anyone. And while Amare is athletic and can block shots. He is not a great defender.

kentatm 03-21-2007 02:23 AM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Mav
A two point win is hardly destroying anyone. And while Amare is athletic and can block shots. He is not a great defender.



true. as much as Amare gets he gives up just as much.

different107 03-21-2007 12:47 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNS IN 07
But what about Amare who recently destroyed u.


what about dampier destroying amare on the boards???

SUNS IN 07 03-21-2007 04:21 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by different107
what about dampier destroying amare on the boards???


A wins a win and thats all that matters.You guys always have excuses just like the mavs when they lose.A team with crybaby players and fans.:cry: :cry: :cry:

The_Masterplan 03-21-2007 04:28 PM

Re: Dirk takes the blame like a good leader should
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNS IN 07
But what about Amare who recently destroyed u.


dood thats not as sad as jerry stackhouse destroying you guys


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy