Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Shortsleeve buttondowns (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346233)

PerfectCell 07-10-2014 04:22 AM

Shortsleeve buttondowns

The longsleeve buttondown has always been a cornerstone of the fashionable man, sleek, formfitting, and versatile. Many women have stated that a guy in a longsleeve work/utility shirt with the sleeves rolled up just enough to reveal most of the forearm is their version of a guy seeing cleavage.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, it's shortsleeve counterpart, less classy than a polo, conjures up images of a generic looking, plain IT guy with a solid black or white shirt. Hated by r/malefashionadvice and the only prominent male fashion brands to feature them consistently in their catalouges are streetwear and surfwear brands like HUF or Stussy more targeted towards teen and young adults.

Anyways I've never been too much of a fashion guy. In middle school I exclusively wore t-shirts and longsleeves/jackets/hoodies with basketball shorts crew socks and nikes, and only put on a pair of jeans when it was legit freezing(rare in cali). Freshman year my high school doesn't allow athletic shorts or pants so I bought a few pairs of khaki and black shorts(like cargo shorts but not baggy and no ugly pockets). For sports we had to dress up each game so I got two dress shirts, two ties, old navy khakis(actually really nice) and dress shoes. The khakis stuck as part of my regular warddrobe but even still I have a long way to go from dressing 'nice'.

After attending a few parties and concerts since Hs started i realized I have way too much 'sport clothing'(nike graphic tees, compression shorts, athletic tanks basketball shorts) and not enough streetwear. My first purchase to remedy this was a striped Hurley tank and i really like it and I'm confident i actually have the upper body to wear it(i see a lot of guys at concerts with noodle arms/no chest/no abs wearing em and of course they get hella shit from the 'gym brah' type of people).

anyways finally back on buttondowns. I feel like longsleeve buttondowns are too dressy and i feel weird wearing them without a tie and plus cali weather makes it too hot to wear em around the year.

I think that with a good color, pattern, fit(really important), having defined biceps(all dem curls paying off), and not too long sleeves I can actually look pretty good in them.

Got this in white/blue as a gift a few months ago, really like em but haven't worn to school yet, I'm thinking with light khaki shorts or dark blue jeans like the guy in the pic.
http://www.amazon.com/Hurley-Stately.../dp/B00IS24SFK

Also thinking about getting these sometime down the road:
http://www.karmaloop.com/product/Bo/486936

What do you guys think? Do you rock em? Do you like em? I'm probably also going to take a pic and post in the teen mfa subreddit and see what they think.

b1imtf 07-10-2014 04:28 AM

Re: Shortsleeve buttondowns

Not at all, I really dislike those shirts. I'd mcuh rather pull up the sleeves on a longer one.

DonD13 07-10-2014 04:29 AM

9erempiree 07-10-2014 04:30 AM

I don't rock them at all because it is equivalent to jean shorts. Long sleeve button ups are the way to go and roll the sleeves up.

The_Yearning 07-10-2014 04:47 AM

Save your money and start working out.

When you're fit, you look good in anything.

LJJ 07-10-2014 04:57 AM

There are a lot of shirts in that category that look like:

*Mormon/low level office worker
*Bowling shirt
*Hawaiian shirt

As long as you avoid those it falls into the same category as a polo shirt.

Nanners 07-10-2014 04:58 AM

sure guy fieri, short sleeve button shirts are real cool :rolleyes:

BasedTom 07-10-2014 05:01 AM

I know what you mean.

when it comes to mens fashion discussion on the internet, you see people wearing scarves thick sweaters and jackets when that's just not really viable in certain climates.

It's not the highest class stuff. But If you're just going to buy groceries or go to class then it's better than the tapout and obnoxious graphic design t-shirts that make you look like you're either a massive douchebag or stuck in 2006.

GimmeThat 07-10-2014 05:03 AM

if you don't mind wearing what some others may consider to be skinny jeans. as well as fitted khaki shorts instead of one that's more on the baggy side.

shortsleeve buttondowns aren't a bad option.

probably underrated in terms of beach wear.
but I haven't been to a good beach for a while, so.

you can also probably pull off those really long hair combed one style hairstyle that's been trending with that look.

BasedTom 07-10-2014 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanners
sure guy fieri, short sleeve button shirts are real cool :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean anything at all like this:

Right OP? RIGHT?!!

macmac 07-10-2014 05:30 AM

What the fukk are those? You want short sleeves, wear nice polos like burberry or the slim fit Calvin kleins, plus they're tighter around the arms so it shows if you have some definition, instead of floating in a short sleeve

Rondooooooooooo 07-10-2014 05:38 AM

knickballer 07-10-2014 09:17 AM

Why don't you just wear the long sleeve button down casual shirt and roll up the sleeves? Once you roll up the sleeves it looks semi-casual and just preppy but not casual or looking like you're going to an interview

Something like this(can't believe i googled it)

Just don't by an actual dress shirt(the ones you wear to a wedding or interview) just by the regular button down shirts.

That or you can wear Polos or short sleeve henleys

GimmeThat 07-10-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo

you know he's a big philly cheese steak fan
in california, might be a big pastrami fan

GimmeThat 07-10-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
Why don't you just wear the long sleeve button down casual shirt and roll up the sleeves? Once you roll up the sleeves it looks semi-casual and just preppy but not casual or looking like you're going to an interview

Something like this(can't believe i googled it)

Just don't by an actual dress shirt(the ones you wear to a wedding or interview) just by the regular button down shirts.

That or you can wear Polos or short sleeve henleys

probably because he doesn't want that much attention walking down the street.

besides the fact that those mormon looks way too obvious because NO one else dresses like that.