Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Florida DOMINATES in College Sports (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35152)

cheergators01 03-26-2007 02:45 PM

Florida DOMINATES in College Sports

Gators Fans, we have a lot to be THANKFUL for in College Sports. Our Football team won the BCS Game and became National Champions in January and now it looks like our basketball team is on the road to their SECOND National Championship in two years. What can we say...We are GOOD!!!!

The gators proved once again why they should be on top with their convincing victory over #3 Oregon. The game included such highlights as seven 3 pointers from Lee Humphrey with several of the Gators reaching double digits. Now we have a chance to be the first school, since Duke (1990-1991), to win back-to-back NCAA Basketball Championships.

Now it is time to rally behind our team and our school and show how much we love the Gators. Our team has been nominated for the Pontiac Game Changing Performance in Round four, along with UCLA, Ohio State and Georgetown. Let's show our school spirit and our dedication to our team by voting them #1. Go to www.ncaasports.com/pontiac and cast your vote as a true Gator Fan. Pass along to all or your friends, fellow students, alumni and any TRUE Gator Fan!

thejoyofsobe 03-26-2007 02:56 PM

Re: Florida DOMINATES in College Sports

GM officially has no shame.

i seen hippos 03-26-2007 03:08 PM

Enjoy it while it last. Florida basketball will never be the same after this season.

IBall280 03-28-2007 07:39 AM

yeah but after this year... florida basketball is not going to be as good as it was , although their football program will still be tough.

thejoyofsobe 03-28-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBall280
yeah but after this year... florida basketball is not going to be as good as it was , although their football program will still be tough.

You know, that's exactly what a lot of people said after David Lee, Matt Walsh and Anthony Roberson left.

Real Men Wear Green 03-28-2007 08:52 AM

So long as they keep Donovan they can be an elite program, but these last two seasons are as good as it gets for anyone. They'd have to be extremely lucky to perpetuate this level of success once the present junior class is gone. But they can still be a contender in the SEC and occasionally make the Final Four because they recruit well (I think).

ThaKing 03-28-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Enjoy it while it last. Florida basketball will never be the same after this season.

I disagree. Florida might lose Brewer, Horford, Noah, and or Donovan. If Donovan leaves they will hire anothe rbig name coach because its an excellent program and there are many recruiting advantages. Next year with or without all those Juniors they have Nick Calethes(SP?) who is gonna win the McDonalds 3 point shooting contest tonight. He said he would likely follow Donovan to Kentucky though, if he bolts. Either way Florida will be just fine.

TheGame414 03-28-2007 03:20 PM

Chris Wright won the three-point shootout.

Tough to say where Florida will be at. They may continue to get highly sought-after recruits, but the Lee/Walsh/Roberson group was more highly rated than the current guys were. And what were those teams? Good, at times very good teams that left a lot to be desired.

This could simply be one of those special groups that lifts a program up for a short time. I know this because I've seen it twice in my lifetime as an Illinois fan, with Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson and Kenny Battle in the late 80's, and Dee Brown, Luther Head and Deron Williams a couple years ago, only to see Illinois not stay at that best-of-the-best level permanently. I have a feeling that's the case here with Florida. "The 04's" could simply be a once-a-generation group that takes an otherwise very good program and makes them transcendant for a couple years.

There's no guarantee that they've lifted Florida to the elite level for good. I'm willing to bet that it's more likely that they fall back to a level with programs like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Michigan State, and the like: programs that have an occasional run at the top, maybe even win it all or reach the title game, but don't reach the elite, UNC/Duke/Kansas/UCLA/Kentucky/etc level for good. (And yes, I know that even those programs have had their down years, but you know what I mean.)

i seen hippos 03-28-2007 03:27 PM

Don't ever put Illinois on the same level as MSU. Ever.

IlliniFan 03-28-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Don't ever put Illinois on the same level as MSU. Ever.

Seriously. It's insulting. Illinois>MSU

i seen hippos 03-28-2007 03:55 PM

2 titles and 4 trips to the final four in the last 9 years and MSU gets grouped with the likes of Illinois and Oklahoma. Sad.

TheGame414 03-28-2007 04:06 PM

C'mon, now, hippo. You're making it too easy. Three of those Final Four years were in a row. Since the three straight Final Fours- never mind before that- what has Michigan State done?

An Elite Eight in '03 and a Final Four in '05, yes. But they also made first-round exits in '02, '04 and '06, and a second-round exit this year. (Illinois has been to a championship game and three Sweet 16s in that span, and only lost in Round 1 once.)

Zero Big Ten regular season titles. (Illinois has three; two outright and one shared.)

Zero Big Ten tournament titles. (Illinois has two.)

Five- five- seasons of double-digit losses in six years. (Illinois has one.)

So what does that make Michigan State? Does it make them one of the game's true elites? Does it make them the best of the best?

Or does it simply make them a very good program who had a short run at the top, just like Florida now?

i seen hippos 03-28-2007 04:11 PM

Florida has had TWO great seasons in how many years?

Yes, those elite teams have had great regular seasons and generally go farther in the tournament on average, but tell me how many times in the last 9 years have each of those team gone to the final four? Elite 8 and final four combined?

MSU: 4-9 and 5-9. Tournament success is much more important than overall records and I'd say their success over this time far outweighs the few years they haven't made it passed the first weekend. That's what puts them on another level than Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma, etc. Not quite on the level of the elites of the elites, but right below.

WuTangWizard 03-28-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
Chris Wright won the three-point shootout.

Tough to say where Florida will be at. They may continue to get highly sought-after recruits, but the Lee/Walsh/Roberson group was more highly rated than the current guys were. And what were those teams? Good, at times very good teams that left a lot to be desired.

This could simply be one of those special groups that lifts a program up for a short time. I know this because I've seen it twice in my lifetime as an Illinois fan, with Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson and Kenny Battle in the late 80's, and Dee Brown, Luther Head and Deron Williams a couple years ago, only to see Illinois not stay at that best-of-the-best level permanently. I have a feeling that's the case here with Florida. "The 04's" could simply be a once-a-generation group that takes an otherwise very good program and makes them transcendant for a couple years.

There's no guarantee that they've lifted Florida to the elite level for good. I'm willing to bet that it's more likely that they fall back to a level with programs like Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Michigan State, and the like: programs that have an occasional run at the top, maybe even win it all or reach the title game, but don't reach the elite, UNC/Duke/Kansas/UCLA/Kentucky/etc level for good. (And yes, I know that even those programs have had their down years, but you know what I mean.)

Thanks for spoiling it, Jackass!

i seen hippos 03-28-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

UNC/Duke/Kansas/UCLA/Kentucky

UNC: 2-9
Duke: 3-9
Kansas: 2-9
UCLA: 2-9
Kentucky: 0-9