Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has T Mac surpassed Kobe defensively? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35498)

Soccer10 03-29-2007 01:49 AM

Has T Mac surpassed Kobe defensively?

I remember that when we argued between Kobe and T Mac that people who were in Kobe's favor have always mentioned defense as his big strength over T Mac.
However, now that the tables have turned and T Mac is on a defensive team and Kobe isn't, what do you guys think?

Honestly, ability wise they're pretty close but I"ll give my vote to T Mac right now because I hate the Lakers defense and love the Rockets defense.

Here's my reasoning.

1. They have both lost a step but T Mac has more to compromise.
He has great length and he's much taller than Kobe with pretty much the same quickness. He's now using his tools much better than befoe.

2. JVG has definitely lit a fire under T Mac's ass and T Mac is now playing defense whereas Kobe almost thinks that "hey, it's not like I"ll make any impact so why even bother"

3. Rockets team defense is a thing of beauty. Battier is a great defender. They have 2 anchors in Yao and Deke. They have tough players at other positions. JVG preaches defense. Lakers OTOH just suck.
T Mac plays a better defense than Kobe IMO.

What do you guys thnk?With Kobe losing some quickness and T Mac improving, do you think it's close or can we even say that T Mac has surpassed him?

konex 03-29-2007 01:55 AM

Re: Has T Mac surpassed Kobe defensively?

It's easier to play defense when you don't have carry 4 other guys on your back offensively. Kobe's slippage on D isn't about ability, it's about energy/effort...

bokes15 03-29-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konex
It's easier to play defense when you don't have carry 4 other guys on your back offensively. Kobe's slippage on D isn't about ability, it's about energy/effort...

That is screaming for a joke to be made. But i'll leave it alone.:roll:

L.Kizzle 03-29-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

You just described McGrady five sesons ago.

Xsatyr 03-29-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
You just described McGrady five sesons ago.

No that excuse only works for Kobe.

bokes15 03-29-2007 02:00 AM

Quote:

Kobe's D was overrated to begin with. Now it's just being exposed.

Revelation 03-29-2007 09:24 AM

I had been hearing people talking about McGrady's defense as of late so I decided to pay extra close attention to his individual defense in last night's Rockets/Clippers game. As people said McGrady is really digging in and playing straight up, tough defense. Every time his guy would look to score McGrady would body him up and leave him no breathing room; nearly every time his opponent would pass the ball or force up a contested fade-away that would cling off the rim. Judging from the games i've seen this year McGrady is currently one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.

1 to 11 03-29-2007 12:43 PM

Watching the last few weeks I would give a nod to Mac... but he still takes too many plays off... One play in particular last night it was a fast break and Jason Heart was taking it to the rack and instead of contesting the layup and block the hell out of the mouse he swiped at the ball like Rafter Alston and put dood on the line... Kobe would have tried to block lil dood... Mac is still is way too lathargic for my taste...

But he did block a Gaytino Mobley jumpshot that was real nice last night...

Voice of Reason 03-29-2007 12:49 PM

He's been playing better D lately because Yao is back. Tmac doesnt need to carry the team offensively anymore. Guess that never entered anyones mind considering how much we use big men's impact on the guard. Figure why not use it here? It applies. The glove fits.

Heilige 03-29-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Didn't T-Mac have to deal with that as well years ago?

Soccer10 03-29-2007 01:26 PM

Yeah, that's an unfair way to look at things. Good defensive players play on good defensive teams. Period. You think someone like Bowen would get any recognizion on a team like the current Lakers with no shotblocking, post defense and pg defense or any of that? No, it doesn't work that way.

Kobe had an advantage earlier in his career and he was a better defender.
T Mac has an advantage now and he's a better defender.

That's the only fair way to look at things IMO.

So yeah, T Mac is a better defender right now.

raiderfan19 03-29-2007 01:34 PM

kobe gets whored on an almost nightly basis defensively. tmac was ALWAYS better defensively.

dejordan 03-29-2007 01:35 PM

i like tmac on the ball right now, especially against 3s, and i love the tight defensive rotations that jvg institutes. i'm not a huge fan of him fighting through screens or chasing guys off the ball, but given the rocket's trap and recover p/r mentality that might not be his fault.

kobe is a good defender, but i didn't see any of his games during that big offensive tear, so i don't know if he was taking games off at the defensive end. i wouldn't be surprised given how many shots he was getting up.

i'm not ready to definitively cede the superior defender title to tmac, but he definitely looks a lot better now that he's giving the great effort in jvg's system and has the shotblockers behind him. kind of like when kobe had shaq back there actually.

number23 03-29-2007 01:36 PM

T-mac plays better defense, and his team plays good defense so thats also a plus. Regardless he is just obviously more willing to put in the effort on defense over Kobe.

konex 03-29-2007 01:50 PM

Even Tex Winter is calling Kobe out on D:

Quote:

“I’d like to see him play better defense,” Winter said, adding that he had addressed the issue recently with Bryant but didn’t come away with the idea that Bryant was intent on changing his approach.
“You know Kobe,” Winter said with a chuckle. “He has his game plan. I think he heard me. But he feels there’s a certain way he’s got to play the game. But it doesn’t involve a lot of basically sound defense.”
Because the Lakers need so much of his effort at the offensive end, Bryant has adopted a save-energy plan on the defensive end, Winter said. “He’s basically playing a lot of one-man zone. He’s doing a lot of switching, zoning up, trying to come up with the interception.
“The way Kobe plays defensively affects the team,” Winter added. “Anybody that doesn’t play consistently good defense hurts the team. That’s not only Kobe. Our other guards tend to gamble and get beat. Another problem is that the screen and roll is not played correctly.”

It's not gonna get better till he gets a bit more help offensively. Hopefully they can win in spite of the lame effort on D (except when he's guarding stars :rolleyes: )

PS: I was really disgusted with the 3pt shot Kinsey hit over him on Tuesday in the last minute of a tie game. KB didn't even contest it. He was just reaching. I know he's tired but that was basically the game right there :banghead: