Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Durant Named AP POY: Better freshman season than Melo? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35637)

fatboy11 03-30-2007 01:18 PM

Durant Named AP POY: Better freshman season than Melo?

Discuss.

I say yes.

MeloMike 03-30-2007 01:23 PM

Re: Durant Named AP POY: Better freshman season than Melo?

first off congrats to Durant, he completely deserved it

And yes its been a great freshmen season for him with his 25 and 11 averages but the only difference is that his team isnt bringin home the championship. still, even tho im a biased melo fan i have to say Durant had a better year.

Glove_20 03-30-2007 01:25 PM

Durant was a better player than Melo during his freshman year
But Melo had a better freshman season than Durant

End of thread

fatboy11 03-30-2007 01:26 PM

Melo had the better season in the sense that you accomplished the ultimate goal of a college basketball player. However, that takes a great amount of help. He had a more veteran cast around him that enable Syracuse to make a run in the tourney.

Durant didn't have nearly has much help. Definitely a close call here.

fatboy11 03-30-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove_20

End of thread

Elaborate.

Durant was named the best player in college basketball. Many could claim that that means he had a better season than anyone in college basketball.

Please, do not type "end of thread" as if you shut this thing down. You did the exact opposite.

Glove_20 03-30-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Elaborate.

Durant was named the best player in college basketball. Many could claim that that means he had a better season than anyone in college basketball.

Please, do not type "end of thread" as if you shut this thing down. You did the exact opposite.

Durant was the player of the year. So he was better than Melo like you said.
But Melo accomplished more (championship) so he had a better season.

Durant is the better freshman player
But ask Melo or Durant which season they would rather have. They would both say Melo's.

End of thread

fatboy11 03-30-2007 01:33 PM

Okay.

Lee Humphrey won the national championship last season. Did he have a better year than JJ Redick?

National Player of the Year has to account for something here. Durant just dominated college basketball. Carmelo did not. You can't simply say that because a player won the national championship that they had a better season. Melo's teammates were a big part of that. This is an individual thing.

Not end of thread. Again.

Please don't be so simple minded with me.

saKf 03-30-2007 01:34 PM

Glove, you just don't get it.

"End of thread" is just about the most worthless phrase routinely typed on ISH. It signifies a complete lack of interest in high-level discussion - trying to one-up posters instead of trying to initiate debate that can leave us all with better understanding of the game.

Get that F'ing worthless crap out of here.

Dizzle-2k7 03-30-2007 01:37 PM

i agree with glove. both players are pretty equal in terms of impact on the college scene. its not fair to compare lee humphey to jj reddick as an analogy for melo/durant.

durant dominated just like melo but had some better numbers. melo won it all. hence i agree with glove, durant was the better player, melo had the better season.

Da KO King 03-30-2007 01:41 PM

For my taste it's not even close. Carmelo's season was way better.

Durant's 25 and 11 with the Player of the Year award is great.

However, I'd rather have Carmelo's 22 and 10(in a better conference), Final Four MVP, East Regional MVP, and a NCAA championship.

fatboy11 03-30-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
i agree with glove. both players are pretty equal in terms of impact on the college scene. its not fair to compare lee humphey to jj reddick as an analogy for melo/durant.

durant dominated just like melo but had some better numbers. melo won it all. hence i agree with glove, durant was the better player, melo had the better season.

I don't think Melo was anywhere near as dominant a player in one season of college basketball as Kevin Durant. Durant can do everything Melo can do and some things better. Plain and simple.

Carmelo's team won the championship largely because they were a better TEAM.

I'm talking individuals here. Durant led a very, very inexperienced group to the second round of the NCAA tournament and took no prisoners along the way. He should be penalized here because Carmelo had a better supporting cast.

wang4three 03-30-2007 02:02 PM

Well Jim Boeheim is light years ahead of Rick Barnes. Rick is just a God awful coach. As for freshman seasons, have to give to Melo. Durant had an amazing season, but Melo definitely was better in the tournament than Carmelo, and I don't attribute it solely to better team, though once again it could be coaching cause Barnes sucks. Either way, I still go with Melo.

dejordan 03-30-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da KO King
For my taste it's not even close. Carmelo's season was way better.

Durant's 25 and 11 with the Player of the Year award is great.

However, I'd rather have Carmelo's 22 and 10(in a better conference), Final Four MVP, East Regional MVP, and a NCAA championship.

my thoughts exactly. maybe it was better coaching, but melo also didn't tend to disappear for halves at a time. he was unguardable too, though i don't think he was as skilled as durant is (i've never seen anyone that big with that much range in college).

Da KO King 03-30-2007 02:12 PM

Durant was amazing but his performances are getting a little over-rated at this point. To say Durant dominated while Carmelo was "just good" is silly. Carmelo was ever bit as dominant.

The difference is that we have not seen a big impact Frosh since Carmelo so Durant looks all the more rare.

fatboy11 03-30-2007 02:19 PM

Show me where ANYONE in this thread has said that Carmelo was "just good". Don't use quotes if you have nothing to quote. That's an assumption on your part.