Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia 76ers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sixers Free Agents and FA Targets (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3572)

NBAfan32 06-30-2006 07:34 PM

Sixers Free Agents and FA Targets

What you guys think of Johnny Salmons, Willie Green and Shavlik Randolph. Should the Sixers keep them? Id like them to hang on to Randolph. He's a great energy guy off the bench, hustle type of player but he just needs some bulking up. Im scared of King overpaying for Green and Salmons and i dont think that Green deserves the contract that wouldve paid him $5mil per season. Both havent really proved anything to warrant such contracts. Id pay Green about $2 -2.5mil and let Salmons walk. Im pretty high on Bobby Jones taking on the role that Salmons was suppose to play off the bench for us - defensive guy who we can throw at the 2 or 3 of the opposing team.

As for Free Agent targets, it's not really clear yet really cause it's two different scenarios if Philly parts with AI or not....which i was a big supporter of but id like to see how AI would fit with Carney, Jones and a couple more additions from the FA market. Right now the Sixers need depth both in the frontcourt and backcourt. 76ers havent been able to attract great Free Agents so we settle for role players that have been proven to contribute - not rejects like Nailon, Barnes.etc. For the backcourt we go for Jannero Pargo or Jay Williams. Pargo guy can defend and score and is an upgrade to Kevin Ollie. Williams on the other hand was a good player prior to his the accident but might demand the entire MLE. Big guys that might be on our price range - Scot Pollard, Kelvin Cato and Walter MacCarty - all proven vets that our bench sorely lacked last season.

With that said, the roster for next season could look something like this:
CT-Dalembert/Hunter/Randolph
PF-Webber/Pollard
SF-Carney/Korver
SG-Iguodala/Green/Jones
PG-Iverson/Pargo/Ollie/Williams

ppierce34 06-30-2006 08:06 PM

I want no part of John Salmons. I'll drive him wherever he goes.

I wouldn't be heartbroken if Willie wasn't signed, but I like him as a player and I like the fact that he came back with an improved jumper from the knee injury and he's shown he's a hard worker.

I'd really like to keep Randolph. He's shown that he can be a solid player.

sixerfan3511 07-01-2006 10:20 PM

i want green and randolph, but sign and trade salmons to phoenix for kurt thomas. We have a 5 million trade exception to do it, and they want to dump salary. Also, kurt thomas doesnt fit in their system and tim thomas is going to sign with the clippers.

ppierce34 07-02-2006 12:50 AM

You can't combine a player with a TE. It has to be used alone.

sixerfan3511 07-02-2006 01:11 AM

ok we can still do it...

GOBB 07-02-2006 11:05 AM

Sixers contacted Jeffries and B.Wallace agents...and any deal would have to involve a sign and trade. I dont see Ben here and Jeffries? No thanks.

NBAfan32 07-02-2006 12:05 PM

Didnt Jeffries have a decent performance in the playoffs mainly guarding Lebron...i wouldnt mind him here but id rather have the the Sixers go after a PF or C at this point.

sixerfan3511 07-02-2006 01:14 PM

yeah, jeffries is a 6-11 guy that can guard sg-pf, hes just a defensive guy. Hes athletic, and can hit a 3 every once in awhile. I wouldnt mind it at all, give them salmons for him.

NBAfan32 07-05-2006 01:51 PM

Question for you guys. Whats your feelings on Dalembert? Id like him to be traded for a veteran Center and do you think if King was quick enough the Hornets wouldve pulled the trigger on Dalembert for PJ Brown + JR Smith? I mean Dalembert and Chandler are almost the same players - both are foul prone, decent defender and shot blockers and still young and athletic. Oh well, it just sucks to see that other teams are improving and Philly might come back with basically just Carney and Jones as the newcomers.

sixerfan3511 07-05-2006 03:00 PM

i like dalembert. I wouldn't want to do that trade for smith and brown. We already have enough athletic wings, haha thats funny to say that cuz a couple weeks ago we had 1. But yeah, the only trade ive seen that would make me ok with trading him was a sign and trade for ben wallace, because we wouldve had to give him to them. He has great potential obviously, but mo cheeks didnt play him much after that minor ankle sprain. He averaged 10 boards and 3.3 blocks a game while he was starting and getting big minutes. **** steven hunter!!!

ppierce34 07-05-2006 06:14 PM

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I want Sam gone. I'm tired of the potential argument. How many years is he gonna have potential and be the same exact player? Except now, he's the same player getting 10 million a year. He has no basketball IQ, zero none. His offensive game is limited to dunks(which he misses far too many of)and an awkward jumpshot that if it goes in on occasion but also draws air or nothing but backboard more often than not, because every jumper he takes is a fadeaway whether he's guarded or not. He has horrible hands and is more often than not, not paying attention and has taken the ball off his head on multiple occasions. He's a horrible defensive player, he doesn't box out so his rebounding numbers are misleading because his man usually dominates the offensive glass. He has no idea how to defend the pick and roll or rotate properly. He tries to block everything and which leads to his numerous goaltends. But Sam thinks blocks equal defense, which is why he flexes for the camera after a block while his man picks up the ball and lays it in. Combine that with his amazing knack for picking up a foul every other possesion and I think there is plenty of reason to get rid of him. That's not even getting into the numerous reports of his bad attitude and piss poor work ethic. And he didn't get the minutes at the end of the season because Steven Hunter, who had every right to come back and have a bad attitude, thoroughly outplayed him.

SixerFan03 07-05-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBAfan32
Question for you guys. Whats your feelings on Dalembert? Id like him to be traded for a veteran Center and do you think if King was quick enough the Hornets wouldve pulled the trigger on Dalembert for PJ Brown + JR Smith? I mean Dalembert and Chandler are almost the same players - both are foul prone, decent defender and shot blockers and still young and athletic. Oh well, it just sucks to see that other teams are improving and Philly might come back with basically just Carney and Jones as the newcomers.

I'm a big fan of PJ Brown. He also has an expiring contract. JR Smith would just be another athletic guard. But by moving Sammy, the Sixers would get a little closer to cap freedom.

Chandler and Sammy are really the same player. They both made about the same money for the same time length. But Chicago has a plan, and the Sixers don't. That's why they can pull off deals to improve their team. They'll trade someone like Eddy Curry to get cap space this season (Ben Wallace) and trade Chandler to get cap space next season. They're the only team that has built a great roster without depending on the superstar in the draft (Gordon and Heinrich are good, but not superstars).

SixerFan03 07-05-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
i like dalembert. I wouldn't want to do that trade for smith and brown. We already have enough athletic wings, haha thats funny to say that cuz a couple weeks ago we had 1. But yeah, the only trade ive seen that would make me ok with trading him was a sign and trade for ben wallace, because we wouldve had to give him to them. He has great potential obviously, but mo cheeks didnt play him much after that minor ankle sprain. He averaged 10 boards and 3.3 blocks a game while he was starting and getting big minutes. **** steven hunter!!!

I know what you're saying. I would hate to trade someone who basically provides all of the team's rebounding and shot blocking. But he makes too much money. The Sixers can't get any better by going forward with the current roster. They need to back up a little, get worse, and shed some of high money players.