Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Imagining the Tenth Dimension (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36506)

-primetime- 04-06-2007 08:40 PM

Imagining the Tenth Dimension

all these threads about god and the universe and aleins and the bible and blah blah blah...

here is something that might help some of you comprehend things better...

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

click the icon on the right side of the screen and watch...

you may have to watch it 2 or 3 times before it will fully sink in but it is worth it to those of you that are nuts about this kind of thing...

this does not prove or dis-prove the existance of a god but more relates to what we know from science...

Glove_20 04-06-2007 09:38 PM

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension

That was pretty dumb

2-D and 3-D are all about shape. Thats what dimensions are.

Basically what this guy does is just make up "defnitions" for his dimensions. 4th dimension is suddenly time. Why? Just because he wanted to. All the other dimensions described shape, and thats what you'd expect the rest of the dimensions to do too, but suddenly time came in

Jabes 04-06-2007 09:46 PM

I hope you realize that the ideas presented on that website do not represent what's currently accepted in the scientific community. The person who created it is a science fiction author. It even states, at the end of the animation, that this way of thinking is "not the accepted explanation for string theory."

StroShow4 04-07-2007 02:03 PM

weird

Psileas 04-07-2007 02:27 PM

Actually, dimensions are meant to show the characteristics of an object, which include both the shape and the time. The model of 10 or 11 dimensions is much more than sci-fiction, as many scientists believe that they apply to the real world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Jabes 04-07-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

The model of 10 or 11 dimensions is much more than sci-fiction, as many scientists believe that they apply to the real world.
No one said the existence of extra dimensions is science fiction, read the posts. However, if you're going to try to explain something as complicated as string theory than it should come from a credible source, like an expert in string theory, not a science fiction writer. What's presented on that website is speculation, not an accepted theory, even though he borrowed some of his ideas from actual scientific theory.

One can not understand string theory (or any complex scientific theory) from reading a website like wikipedia. You have to start from the beginning, studying the basics like classical physics, and moving upwards from there. You can read, pop-sci books targeted towards the layman, which can give you an idea about what the theory is about, but you certainly won't attain the knowledge to debate the subject, or use it to prove/disprove the existence of life/god, like they're trying to do in the other thread.

-primetime- 04-08-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabes
I hope you realize that the ideas presented on that website do not represent what's currently accepted in the scientific community. The person who created it is a science fiction author. It even states, at the end of the animation, that this way of thinking is "not the accepted explanation for string theory."

well it if was excepted it wouldn't be called string "THEORY" now would it?

string theory has been around for a long time and debated amounst many of the world's greatest scientists...

joe lucky 04-08-2007 08:26 PM

I'm like a total novice with string theory. Is one premise here that there can be different initial conditions to the creation of the universe such that alternative universes encompassing all 6 dimensional alternatives can co-exist? Thats the point at which the theory kind of stretches for me. I'm sure theres a better hard science explanation for such occurrences. I guess the only way we can describe that condition of multiple infinities ultimately is reliance on the concept of a collapse into a "point" which for me is kind of not that fulfilling.

Jabes 04-08-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -primetime-
a 3 dimenstional object is a shape...a 2 demensional object is a flat shape...

other dementions past that do not deal with "physical shapes"....you can't have a 6 demensional shape, it is impossible...

I think your brain might be too small to understand that

Actually we can talk about shapes of all finite dimensions, however we can only visualize the ones in 3 or less. Just because we can't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist, however, as a species it isn't necessary for our survival to visualize in higher than 3 dimensions.

Jabes 04-08-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

well it if was excepted it wouldn't be called string "THEORY" now would it?

string theory has been around for a long time and debated amounst many of the world's greatest scientists...

Do not confuse the common definition of the word 'theory' with that used in science. Ever heard of the theory of gravity? Would you claim that is just a "theory"? Now I'm not saying string theory is as solid as gravity, it isn't since it's lacking empirical evidence, but there is a formal mathematical model for it which is consistent within the current laws of physics.

The whole point I'm trying to make, that you seem to not understand, is that the author of that book is not a physicist, let alone a string theorist. Hell he's not even a scientist, he's a composer/writer who apparently has an outside interest in science and has come up with his own ideas, but has not given any validity for them. Some string theorists claim that their can be no less than 23 dimensions, yet according to this guy there can be no more than 10.

If you're going to put blind faith in what you read about science, at least read the works of an accredited expert in the field, not just any guy that has a website. Better yet, actually study the subject matter, that way you won't have to take anybody's word for it.

Either way, I'm not going to debate this matter any further with someone who has shown to have very little understanding of the basic principles of science.

-primetime- 04-09-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabes
Do not confuse the common definition of the word 'theory' with that used in science. Ever heard of the theory of gravity? Would you claim that is just a "theory"? Now I'm not saying string theory is as solid as gravity, it isn't since it's lacking empirical evidence, but there is a formal mathematical model for it which is consistent within the current laws of physics.

The whole point I'm trying to make, that you seem to not understand, is that the author of that book is not a physicist, let alone a string theorist. Hell he's not even a scientist, he's a composer/writer who apparently has an outside interest in science and has come up with his own ideas, but has not given any validity for them. Some string theorists claim that their can be no less than 23 dimensions, yet according to this guy there can be no more than 10.

If you're going to put blind faith in what you read about science, at least read the works of an accredited expert in the field, not just any guy that has a website. Better yet, actually study the subject matter, that way you won't have to take anybody's word for it.

Either way, I'm not going to debate this matter any further with someone who has shown to have very little understanding of the basic principles of science.

1. gravity is not a theory...what do yuo mean the "theory of gravity"?

2. I am not putting blind faith into string theory or any thing that is not yet a scientific law...

3. If you think I have very little understanding of the basic principles of science you are very wrong...I have studied plenty on the subject matter...

4. please show me any scientific proof or even a theory where an inifinate amount of dimentonal shapes exits....please let me know how a 6 dimenstional shape exits...you can't because it is impossible...

Glove_20 04-09-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

a 3 dimenstional object is a shape...a 2 demensional object is a flat shape...

other dementions past that do not deal with "physical shapes"....you can't have a 6 demensional shape, it is impossible...

I think your brain might be too small to understand that

Its "impossible" for the human brain to visualize. But that doesn't mean its impossible. Are brain has its limits. 3-D is the farthest it can go

Is that so hard to understand?

-primetime- 04-09-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove_20
Its "impossible" for the human brain to visualize. But that doesn't mean its impossible. Are brain has its limits. 3-D is the farthest it can go

yes...because I can visualize other dimensions witht he help of that animation...

is that hard for you to understand?

I do not believe that shapes exits in a 4D or 5D or higher deminsion...shapes are 3 dimensional...that is as far a a "shape" can go...3 dimensions...any higher and you are not dealing with shapes any more...got that?

Glove_20 04-09-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

yes...because I can visualize other dimensions witht he help of that animation...

is that hard for you to understand?

I do not believe that shapes exits in a 4D or 5D or higher deminsion...shapes are 3 dimensional...that is as far a a "shape" can go...3 dimensions...any higher and you are not dealing with shapes any more...got that?

3-D is the highest shape dimension your human mind can imagine. And just because you or anyone can't imagine a 4-D shape doens't mean it doesn't exist. Restrictions of the human mind.

-primetime- 04-09-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove_20
3-D is the highest shape dimension your human mind can imagine. And just because you or anyone can't imagine a 4-D shape doens't mean it doesn't exist. Restrictions of the human mind.

yes it is....you just made this theory of shapes being higher than 3 dimensional up....please show me any theroy of a shape being higher than 3D please...

give me a link were anyone other than yourself has a theory of shapes existing in a 5 or 6 dimensional world...

shapes = 3D

now in theory other 3 dimensional shapes can exist in co-existing dimensions....but they are still 3D...

anyway...show me this theory of a 8 dimensional shape that we can't see...please