Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Shammond Williams (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3774)

traditionone 07-02-2006 04:37 PM

Shammond Williams

There is curious interest by the Lakers in bringing him in for the biannual 1.7 mil exception.

He is not an old player, drafted in the second round in 1998. I watched him play at UNC and I was a huge fan of his skills. An outside shooter who is a good decision maker. Ideally, he is the perfect person to play point. The problem is that his college success never translated into pro success.

He never really had a good opportunity though, and he is not the ideal point guard other teams look for, but he might be good for us since the triangle really doesn't use traditional point guards.

If Derek Fisher could play the point in LA, Shammond can. He was out of the league last season, playing over in Europe. I don't know how well he did there.

I don't see a problem bringing him in. Using the exception might not be necessary. If Phil, Kobe, Magic, and Kupcake do another conference call, he might agree to sign for the veteran's minimum, if he's eligible. I don't know the rule regarding that.

lakerfreak 07-02-2006 06:16 PM

I heard his name before. It sounds like probably another Smush Parker even though smush has a lot of skill.

I would prefer we reel in a ball handler and can hit the open shot thats more known.

I wouldnt see a problem in Starting Sasha...he hits big shots...he passes pretty decent, and hes a tall PG (if 6'7" is enough)

SoCalMike 07-02-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
It sounds like probably another Smush Parker even though smush has a lot of skill.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this. I dont know this player at all, I will admit, but we dont need another Smush.

My hope is for a tough defensive minded point guard that can do the ball handling responsibilities, occasionally drive to the hoop and hit a shot here and there from the outside. I want that person to be able to stop (or slow down) fast guard penetration from the likes of Nash, Tony Paker and others.

lakerfreak 07-02-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this. I dont know this player at all, I will admit, but we dont need another Smush.

My hope is for a tough defensive minded point guard that can do the ball handling responsibilities, occasionally drive to the hoop and hit a shot here and there from the outside. I want that person to be able to stop (or slow down) fast guard penetration from the likes of Nash, Tony Paker and others.

You know, Smush could have drove in as well but he sorta fell in love with that 3 point shot... he could have been better for us if he played with more passion.

traditionone 07-07-2006 04:23 PM

I pulled some of his stats from Fiba Europe for NICS KAZAN in 2005.

15 games played
35 minutes per game
56% from 2pt
47% from 3pt
81% FT
4.6 rpg
5.5 apg
3.6 to
21.1 ppg

lakerfreak 07-07-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traditionone
I pulled some of his stats from Fiba Europe for NICS KAZAN in 2005.

15 games played
35 minutes per game
56% from 2pt
47% from 3pt
81% FT
4.6 rpg
5.5 apg
3.6 to
21.1 ppg

Did u just say 47% 3 pt?

Bring this guy in. give him a robe. put a ring on his finger.

He just might be that guy we need. Smush can back him up ans sasha can play SG and PG