Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Do you think Bargnani's gonna be a flop? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3819)

SYOrangeMan 07-03-2006 01:43 AM

Do you think Bargnani's gonna be a flop?
 
Just seeking opinions whether Bargnani's gonna become a disappointment or the Raptors' next star player.

ACCBaller1403 07-03-2006 01:49 AM

Decent starter. Not worth the first pick I don't think but I don't think he'll be awful like some people claim. At peak: 17 ppg 7 rpg no defense

Qwyjibo 07-03-2006 01:51 AM

I say he'll be something like Mehmet Okur, maybe a slight bit better.

kwajo 07-03-2006 01:52 AM

why doesn't anyone think Bargnani can play defense? I mean he'll probably suck this season, but you can't say a guy that led his league in blocked shots plays "no defense"

SYOrangeMan 07-03-2006 01:53 AM

I hope he flops though, I want the Raptors to regret trading Villanueva away.

ACCBaller1403 07-03-2006 01:59 AM

Quote:

"no defense"

I'm basing this on the classic Euro non-defensive stereotype. Dirk sucked at D until Avery. Mehmet can't play a lick of D. Ditto for Peja. He could prove the stereotype wrong but stereotypes are made for a reason...

God knows he's got the size and quickness to be a very good defensive player.

boshraptor4life 07-03-2006 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
Decent starter. Not worth the first pick I don't think but I don't think he'll be awful like some people claim. At peak: 17 ppg 7 rpg no defense


Of this draft class, who will peak better than that?!

kwajo 07-03-2006 02:02 AM

on the other hand though, Gasol is a very good defender, as are Nocioni and Ginobili [who is decent].
I see your point though, he'll have to prove he's an exception before anyone assumes he can hold the fort defensively. Like I said, he'll probably suck this year, but we'll see

ACCBaller1403 07-03-2006 02:05 AM

I could name a couple that I think'll be better (not necessarily for the Raptors, but in terms of total impact)

Roy, Foye, Gay are the obvious answers. I think the Raptors would've been better served trading down, grabbing Andrea and some other assets in the process. I'm assuming they tried to and it didn't work out. I've defended the pick but I don't think he'll produce #1 pick numbers. Being the #1 pick places somewhat unrealistic expectations on a player, but that's how it is. I think the Raps will be scary if they keep progressing with what they have, grow together, don't rush anything, etc.

ACCBaller1403 07-03-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Nocioni and Ginobili

They're both Argentinian so I didn't include them (non-Euro). Kirilenko really throws a monkey wrench in my reasoning, but hey, he's one of how many? I hope he's good. I've been defending him to my friends for a while now so if he doesn't pan out, Andrea will make me look like a moron.

saKf 07-03-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
I'm basing this on the classic Euro non-defensive stereotype. Dirk sucked at D until Avery. Mehmet can't play a lick of D. Ditto for Peja. He could prove the stereotype wrong but stereotypes are made for a reason...

God knows he's got the size and quickness to be a very good defensive player.

I don't think Okur is a sub-par defender at all.

FabCasablancas 07-03-2006 02:09 AM

It seems to always be the same pattern. Just like Darko last season... they show this video where they look great in Europe but it never translates.

Another thing is that people don't realize how unique Dirk is. They think that because there is a Dirk that there must be hundreds of him over there. Every 7 footer can be as good as Dirk.. just doesn't work that way. Bargnani does have an advantage though.. he has something Dirk has never had in his career.. an excellent post player. If Dirk had that he would look even more incredible than he already does.

If you put a player like Dirk with a post presence you create the same kind of dynamic as a Kobe and Shaq or Wade and Shaq or Nash and Amare.. inside out. Though it's even better because you have 2 bigs. It's more difficult for the opposing bigmen to defend them.

dgilbert 07-03-2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYOrangeMan
I hope he flops though, I want the Raptors to regret trading Villanueva away.

I hope your not a raps fan, cause that would be some weak ****

dgilbert 07-03-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
It seems to always be the same pattern. Just like Darko last season... they show this video where they look great in Europe but it never translates.

Another thing is that people don't realize how unique Dirk is. They think that because there is a Dirk that there must be hundreds of him over there. Every 7 footer can be as good as Dirk.. just doesn't work that way. Bargnani does have an advantage though.. he has something Dirk has never had in his career.. an excellent post player. If Dirk had that he would look even more incredible than he already does.

If you put a player like Dirk with a post presence you create the same kind of dynamic as a Kobe and Shaq or Wade and Shaq or Nash and Amare.. inside out. Though it's even better because you have 2 bigs. It's more difficult for the opposing bigmen to defend them.

the biggest mistake people make, is that they say he'll be the next dirk, or he'll be another darko, or tsikivili, all because the have a common point of being 7 footers with outside skills, the point i'd make is that there is a happy medium, which is where I think he'll end up, the guy who said 17, and 7 may not be that far off, could be better, or worse,who knows none of these guys have played a single game in the league yet, but the comparisons to darko, and tsikivili are unfair in this sense, neither of these guys were contributors to their teams in europe, hell they hardly even played, so they were much more of a gamble, whereas andrea was the best player in the playoffs for his team, and led them to the championship, to me that's a huge difference, and one of the main reason's i'm so comfortable with the pick

SYOrangeMan 07-03-2006 02:19 AM

No I'm not. More of a fan of just Charlie V and Chris Bosh.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy