Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My thoughts on Big Ben (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4124)

Salto Morale 07-05-2006 12:32 AM

My thoughts on Big Ben

The Pistons will be better than the Bulls next year, but after that, I'd bet on Chicago eclipsing Detroit, with or without Ben Wallace.

The offers are roughly the same (DET: 4Y/$50M, CHI: 4Y/$60M), so if Big Ben's determining factor is on-court success, this sums up his choice:

(1) Try to squeeze out one more title with Detroit before decline begins? (Even '07 is no lock, given this year's fizzling finish.)
Or
(2) join the rising Bulls (in the process helping them vault the Pistons) and be on the East's hot contender from 2008-10?

It's rare for a 32-year-old like Wallace to enjoy "upside" again, but the Bulls have it, and he will join them for the ride.
(Update: Wallace's reaction to Detroit's offer isn't a good sign for the Pistons: "It was disappointing. It was not at all what I expected.") What did you expect Ben ?

joewait 07-05-2006 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salto Morale
The Pistons will be better than the Bulls next year, but after that, I'd bet on Chicago eclipsing Detroit, with or without Ben Wallace.

The offers are roughly the same (DET: 4Y/$50M, CHI: 4Y/$52M), so if Big Ben's determining factor is on-court success, this sums up his choice:

(1) Try to squeeze out one more title with Detroit before decline begins? (Even '07 is no lock, given this year's fizzling finish.)
Or
(2) join the rising Bulls (in the process helping them vault the Pistons) and be on the East's hot contender from 2008-10?

It's rare for a 32-year-old like Wallace to enjoy "upside" again, but the Bulls have it, and he should think hard about joining them for the ride.
(Update: Wallace's reaction to Detroit's offer isn't a good sign for the Pistons: "It was disappointing. It was not at all what I expected.")

It's going to be fun when he gets exposed this season as a nice role player

Tips4 07-05-2006 12:35 AM

Quote:

The offers are roughly the same (DET: 4Y/$50M, CHI: 4Y/$52M), so if Big Ben's determining factor is on-court success, this sums up his choice:

Big Ben got 4yrs/$60 Million from Chicago not 52 Million

TheReturnofCed 07-05-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tips4
Big Ben got 4yrs/$60 Million from Chicago not 52 Million

Tips4 owns Salto!

Hey tips, you haven't posted a pic. I bet that grovetd will hit on you.

Salto Morale 07-05-2006 12:38 AM

Yes a mistake I admit thanks tips

SCY 07-05-2006 12:40 AM

Your thoughts on Big Ben are so extremely important they deserved a new thread? Geeeeeeez.

Salto Morale 07-05-2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Your thoughts on Big Ben are so extremely important they deserved a new thread? Geeeeeeez.

Well no I guess but I thought they were important enough for everyone else to view.

Tips4 07-05-2006 12:45 AM

No problem. I dont blame Ben for going to Bulls. People are screaming out of there lungs about him leaving. Seriously if you were Wallace : you won a ring and you established yourself as the best defensive center in the game and someone offers you 60 million instead of 50 wouldnt you take it ? Forget the bull**** loyal talk, he is going to a team where he will probably be worshiped and probably made the leader there. Why should he pass up 60 Million instead of 50 and why should he pass up being the guy instead of being the 3rd guy. Its not like he is going to Hawks, he is going to Bulls. Its pathetic when people bring the loyalty talk, the guy did what he had to do !!!

TheReturnofCed 07-05-2006 01:20 AM

Quote:

Well no I guess but I thought they were important enough for everyone else to view.

Post it in the Big Ben thread then azzhole.

2 x OT "My favourite sandwich" threads>>>>>>>>>40 x "My opinion on Big Ben threads"

dgilbert 07-05-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

The offers are roughly the same (DET: 4Y/$50M, CHI: 4Y/$60M), so if Big Ben's determining factor is on-court success, this sums up his choice:

Or

It's rare for a 32-year-old like Wallace to enjoy "upside" again, but the Bulls have it, and he will join them for the ride.
(Update: Wallace's reaction to Detroit's offer isn't a good sign for the Pistons: "It was disappointing. It was not at all what I expected.") What did you expect Ben ?

actually it was 12 mil apart, and that's hardly the same, and why start another thread on this, there are at least two other threads on this forum that you could of gotten this point across.

Heretik32 07-05-2006 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joewait
It's going to be fun when he gets exposed this season as a nice role player

What else was he supposed to be? Detroit was such a great team because it only consisted of role players without depending on a superstar.
Of course a player that only plays D and no O is a role player. Wallace always was considered a role player.

jamoore 07-05-2006 09:02 AM

Thing is, everybody is screaming championship now that Ben is on board, where basically Ben is a 32 year old role player who is on the decline. Not saying that the Bulls won't contend, I'm just saying that it is only July and lets not get carried away yet.

WoGiTaLiA1 07-05-2006 11:35 AM

Bulls arent really a contender. They are a nice young team that is still going to struggle to score the points necessary to win. That's their problem, not defense. They are basically Detroit when they had Stackhouse all over.