Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Utah Jazz Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Derek Fischer???? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4161)

hardfoul 07-05-2006 12:54 PM

Derek Fischer????

Kinda interesting. I've not paid enough attention to Fisher to know if he'll work within the system or not. Definitely a good shooter at times, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.sltrib.com/sports/
NEW TODAY: Jazz likely to get Fisher, deal Brown, McLeod and Owens
By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune

The Jazz and Golden State plan to pull the trigger on a four-player trade that would bring veteran point guard Derek Fisher to Utah.
The Salt Lake Tribune has learned - barring an unexpected hitch - the Jazz will send Devin Brown, Keith McLeod and Andre Owens to the Warriors in exchange for Fisher, a 10-year veteran.
The deal will be completed after Owens signs a free-agent contract with the Jazz next week - a step that is necessary to make the trade adhere to NBA salary requirements.
Free agents are not allowed to sign new contracts before July 12.
Fisher, the 24th pick in the 1996 draft, spent his first eight years in the league in Los Angeles with the Lakers, where he played on three championship teams.
Signed as a free agent by Golden State in 2004, Fisher played the last two seasons with the Warriors.
Last year, he averaged 13.3 points and 4.3 assists while shooting 37.3 percent from

Advertisement

the three-point line for a team that failed to reach the playoffs for the 12th straight year.
Fisher is probably best known for his game-winning shot in Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference finals.
After San Antonio had taken a 73-72 lead in Tim Duncan's 18-foot jumper with 0.4 seconds remaining, the Lakers' Gary Payton inbounded the ball to Fisher.
In one motion, he caught the ball, turned and fired a 20-foot fallaway jump shot. It went in and, after TV replays confirmed he released the ball in time, the Lakers took a 3-2 lead in their series with the Spurs en route to the NBA Finals.

Heretik32 07-05-2006 01:11 PM

I am not a fan of Fisher's, never have been.

At least the Jazz didn't give up anything valuable for him.

New Jazzy Nets 07-05-2006 01:38 PM

This is a great trade for us frees up 2 spots and brings in a proven vet in Fisher. Even if people aren't thrilled with him they know he is better then Milt and Keith.

Pre777 07-05-2006 03:39 PM

The Jazz have been really needing someone who can shoot. Fisher brings a ton of "grizzled veteran" leadership. He has been on so many teams with players better than him as well. Fisher doesn't rock the boat, he knows his role and plays tough defense.

He'll go great with Sloan.

On the other hand, this does not necessarily change the Jazz's position in the playoff hunt... Fisher will put in 15-20 solid minutes a game. His most important role will be in the development of Deron Williams.

This is the kind of guy who comes out of nowhere to hit a big shot in a big game, not really a go-to guy.

cyco127 07-05-2006 04:48 PM

Yeah, I think that over all this is a good move- for right now... Fisher's salary really sucks for what he provides. At the end of his contract he be making 7+ million @ age 34... ouch. But yes, this guy is a proven winner (3 rings), and knows how to hit the big shots...

Bricklayer 07-05-2006 08:52 PM

Dang... I never liked the guy either. He's a Laker!! I don't care if he's been on the Warriors the past 2 years - the guy came from the enemy!! But it's gonna be hard not to root for the guy when he starts draining 3's for us and playing smart ball in the final minutes when the score is close. We desperately need that and that's where he thrives. Lefty CAN play. Plus he helps to clear out the increasing log jam at the guard spots.

lowblok 07-06-2006 02:45 AM

I don't mind the trade because it cleared up roster space without losing too much, but.....

His salary/contract is a bit much and long, plus.....

He doesn't block shots.......:D

insidehoops 07-10-2006 08:46 PM

I don't get the fisher signing, other than to have him help teach deron williams

cyco127 07-11-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
I don't get the fisher signing, other than to have him help teach deron williams

That, and more outside shooting. Coach Sloan does not Gordan Gira. He doesn't work in the Jazz' system. Fisher will see some time at the 2guard spot with Deron at point. then prolly rotate on defense to cover for Fisher's height.

hardfoul 07-12-2006 06:22 PM

Just announced as 'done'.

cyco127 07-12-2006 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardfoul
Just announced as 'done'.

Hey thanks for the info. I really appreciate any Utah sports radio 'scoops' as I don't gat to listen. So again, thanks.

hardfoul 07-12-2006 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyco127
Hey thanks for the info. I really appreciate any Utah sports radio 'scoops' as I don't gat to listen. So again, thanks.

You can if you have internet access...

www.1280thezone.com/ ..... Click the 'listen' link and you'll get our 'excellent' perspective on SLC sports.......:rollingeyes:

cyco127 07-12-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardfoul
You can if you have internet access...

www.1280thezone.com/ ..... Click the 'listen' link and you'll get our 'excellent' perspective on SLC sports.......:rollingeyes:

oh I've found that site already, but thanks. I drive truck most of the day, and my employer has blocked any streaming websites. So I mp3 it most of the day. Rock and Roll baby!!! The one thing I can do (when I get a chance) is hit up my message boards. So it's not all bad...