Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Luke Ridnour the next Carlos Arroyo? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4222)

AppleNader 07-05-2006 11:11 PM

Luke Ridnour the next Carlos Arroyo?
 
There's been alot of talk over why Luke Ridnour was selected for the US national team. Some people have even expressed outrage that he was taken over Kirk Hinrich, even though it was revealed that Kirk declined the offer. Now, remember Carlos Arroyo back in 2004? An average NBA point guard at best, but he really exploded onto the scene during the Olympics. He was Puerto Rico's best player, and burned the US during the preliminary round.

Do you guys think Luke Ridnour might actually be Team USA's version of Carlos Arroyo? In the NBA, they are both below average defenders, streaky shooters, crafty passers, and smart players. What about in international competition? Arroyo was really exceptional. Maybe Luke will be too?

Should Luke get a roster spot on the 2006 World Championships lineup?

boshraptor4life 07-05-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleNader
There's been alot of talk over why Luke Ridnour was selected for the US national team. Some people have even expressed outrage that he was taken over Kirk Hinrich, even though it was revealed that Kirk declined the offer. Now, remember Carlos Arroyo back in 2004? An average NBA point guard at best, but he really exploded onto the scene during the Olympics. He was Puerto Rico's best player, and burned the US during the preliminary round.

Do you guys think Luke Ridnour might actually be Team USA's version of Carlos Arroyo? In the NBA, they are both below average defenders, streaky shooters, crafty passers, and smart players. What about in international competition? Arroyo was really exceptional. Maybe Luke will be too?

Should Luke get a roster spot on the 2006 World Championships lineup?

I'm thinking people were a little more outraged that he was selected over Allen Iverson than Kirk Hinrich, just a thought. And I disagree, he hasn't shown much in the NBA, not enough to merit a spot on the "dream" team that is USA.

AppleNader 07-05-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boshraptor4life
I'm thinking people were a little more outraged that he was selected over Allen Iverson than Kirk Hinrich, just a thought. And I disagree, he hasn't shown much in the NBA, not enough to merit a spot on the "dream" team that is USA.


Actually, most of the arguing I've heard boiled down to "Luke Ridnour over Kirk Hinrich", which is in fact a moot point because Kirk rejected the invitation anyways.

Also, lots of people felt that AI should've gotten a roster spot by default...so technically Luke didn't replace him.

Kiss Murder 07-05-2006 11:29 PM

Feel the burn....in the artic
 
I don't care. Brad Miller will get in shape playing in these olympics! Yeah!

AppleNader 07-05-2006 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiss Murder
I don't care. Brad Miller will get in shape playing in these olympics! Yeah!


My second favorite addition to the team

:rockon:

Young HkM 07-05-2006 11:38 PM

I doubt it. I don't think Luke has the confidence to do what Arroyo did. Also, Carlos had the benefit as being the lone player in the worlds best basketball league so his team looked to him to lead them. I'd also like to note that they definatly should have gone after chris paul before luke.

AppleNader 07-05-2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young HkM
I doubt it. I don't think Luke has the confidence to do what Arroyo did. Also, Carlos had the benefit as being the lone player in the worlds best basketball league so his team looked to him to lead them. I'd also like to note that they definatly should have gone after chris paul before luke.


Well...they already have Chris Paul on the roster, and from the looks of it, will be our starting point guard this summer:ohwell:

Also, Your "confidence" thing is a good point.

bagelred 07-05-2006 11:43 PM

Boy, I never thought I'd hear the phrase "The next Carlos Arroyo". I didn't think that would really mean anything....

It's like saying "The next Rick Brunson"....

AppleNader 07-05-2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Boy, I never thought I'd hear the phrase "The next Carlos Arroyo".


Kind of sad to be talking about US National team players as the next carlos arroyo isn't it? What a downfall :ohwell:

browntown 07-05-2006 11:49 PM

I guess its not that big of a downfall when Carlos did woop Americas ass.

Young HkM 07-05-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browntown
I guess its not that big of a downfall when Carlos did woop Americas ass.


Dirk would have done the same if he had a little bit of help. I remember he dropped 45 on us when we played him.

AppleNader 07-06-2006 12:04 AM

well, lets remember that the roster was selected with the advice and input of numerous coaches and players, including the following:

Jerry Colangelo
Dean Smith
Chuck Daly
Lenny Wilkins
Rudy Tomjanovich
David Robinson
Charles Barkely
Michael Jordan
Chris Mullin
Larry Bird
Clyde Drexler
Magic Johnson
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Bill Bradley


So obviously, these guys saw something in Luke that would indicate a great fit. I'm inclined to trust them...hopefully

hateraid 07-06-2006 12:34 AM

....
 
Carlos Arroyo had much less egos surrounding him. It aloud him to free up his game to be the Streaky shooter/crafty passer. Luke would have to defer to his superior teammates on the floor.
Plus I don't think he'll accumilate the PT to pull an Arroyo.

AppleNader 07-06-2006 12:37 AM

BTW,

Training camp kicks off in 2 weeks! plus exhibition games! more basketball!:rockon:

wang4three 07-06-2006 01:15 AM

Are the exhibition games nationally televised?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy