Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UFC 71 Rampage v Chuck Liddell 26th may (This saturday) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42302)

D-Wade 05-22-2007 08:24 PM

UFC 71 Rampage v Chuck Liddell 26th may (This saturday)

Rampage Jackson talks about his fight this weekend

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson tells the Houston Chronicle that he has stepped up his training and preparation for his upcoming bout with UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 on May 26 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada:

“That was a time [2003-2005, with three losses via T(KO)] when I was sparing with amateurs preparing for a professional fight. I don’t think I was at my best during those times. I’m not going to lie. It was preparation…. I know I needed sparing partners, and I’m not ashamed to say when something isn’t going right. I found some pretty good sparing partners, and I’m getting my (butt) whooped every day and that’s the way it needs to be. They frustrate the hell out of me, but it makes me better. I’m more disciplined in the way I eat and train. I used to have to cut 15 pounds the day before the fight, but I don’t have to do that anymore. That makes me stronger, and I’ve been working on some things, but I haven’t been able to show it in my last couple of fights. I haven’t been able to show my new side.”

Chuck Liddell ready for Rampage Jackson

Chuck Liddell’s longtime friend, training partner and trainer John Hackleman joined MMAWeekly’s SoundOff Radio show to talk about Chuck’s preparation and training camp for his upcoming fight with Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson.

Hackleman has been with Liddell in some facet for the past 16 years now, and he said of this training camp, “This is the best training camp we’ve ever had. The best sparring partners, the best conditioning…he [Chuck] didn’t get one single injury, it was perfect in every way.”

With this fight, Liddell will look to avenge the only blotch on an otherwise spotless fighting career. Jackson bested Liddell by TKO in Pride’s Final Conflict in 2003, but since his losing effort in Japan ‘The Iceman’ has been on a tear, winning each of his last seven fights and avenging the only other losses on his (20-3) record by defeating Randy Couture by KO twice (UFC’s 52, 57) and Jeremy Horn by TKO (UFC 54).

Liddell’s rematch fight with ‘Rampage’ has garnered a lot of media attention of late with UFC 71 commercials constantly replaying on TV and with well-known news organizations such as NBC Sports and ESPNEWS covering the event. With all of Liddell’s recent celebrity, one might think that it would be difficult for Chuck to simply concentrate on fighting and not be sidetracked by all of the other hype surrounding him.

After all, Chuck has recently starred in HBO’s hit series “Entourage” and was even given a cover page and article in ESPN The Magazine. And of course, this notoriety all comes in addition to Chuck’s in-cage accolades and the legions of adoring fans that accompany being the UFC’s light-heavyweight champion.

But Hackleman sees Chuck’s status differently. He knows that Chuck is the same guy that he’s always been, save maybe a few extra zeros to contend with each April 15th…

“He [Chuck] comes into my house and uses my restroom – which I can’t usually use for an hour after that – and then he goes out to the cage or the gym in my back yard and trains just as he always has… nothing is different. He acts the same around the celebs as he does around his sparring partners. He treats everyone the same,” Hackleman said.

One thing that will be different in this fight, though, will be that Chuck has done all of his training with John Hackleman at “The Pit” in San Luis Obispo. Before his 2003 meeting with ‘Rampage,’ Chuck decided to try his hand learning some other styles in different places from some different people. After his loss to Jackson, though, Chuck said, “Back to the Pit,” and that is where he has remained for all of his pre-fight preparation in the years since.

John said, “He wanted to try some new things, but it just didn’t work for him and he just liked the old-school “Pit” way…we’ve got a good little ‘Entourage’ here.”

On this Saturday night, Liddell and his throng of fans are on one mission, revenge. Put aside the hype, forget the television appearances and even forget the fact that the UFC’s light-heavyweight belt is on the line. Liddell’s career will always be blemished unless he finds a way to separate ‘Rampage’ from his faculties. And those who have watched Chuck fight know that this is precisely what he will endeavor to do.

The only question left for Hackleman is simply, “How will Chuck beat Rampage?”

John said, “I think it’s going to be a great fight. I’ve got nothing but respect for Rampage…he’s a great fighter and a great guy. I love that guy and I think he’s a real asset to the sport. But I think it’s just going to be that Chuck is a little bit stronger, a little bit faster, a little more dynamic and a little more on his game right now…with the combination of things I think Chuck is going to be the victor. I don’t predict a knockout, I don’t predict a round...I just think that Chuck’s going to beat Rampage.”

Regardless of the victor on Saturday night, though, this fight is one for the fans. Neither of these two men wants to win or lose by decision and that is going to make for an energetic, entertaining fight. Be sure to tune in to see if the ‘Iceman’ can avenge his final loss or if ‘Rampage’ will take Chuck’s belt and go up on him 2-0. Only time will tell the outcome…and that time comes in Las Vegas on this Saturday night.

fatboy11 05-22-2007 10:22 PM

Re: UFC 71 Rampage v Chuck Liddell 26th may (This saturday)

Chuck will take it.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing the Thiago Silva/James Irvin and Din Thomas/Jeremy Stephens fights. Two, potentially, good newcomers.

Burkman/Parisyan will produce fireworks as well.

D-Wade 05-22-2007 10:32 PM

I think Rampage will take it again. Liddell must have it in the back of his head that Rampage beat him before, could it effect him?

AceVenturaPetDet 05-22-2007 10:43 PM

chuck is old news

D-Wade 05-22-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceVenturaPetDet
chuck is old news

Old news in what way?

fatboy11 05-22-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Wade
I think Rampage will take it again. Liddell must have it in the back of his head that Rampage beat him before, could it effect him?

Obviously didn't have that in the back of his head when he beat Randy Couture's ass in their second fight. Couture beat his ass worse than Jackson did.

Rampage has fallen off a bit since their first bout and Liddell is in his prime.

LakersDynasty 05-23-2007 12:03 AM

Chuck will knock him out in the second round, I can't see him losing this fight. Don't think the loss is going to affect him at all, he avenged his only other two losses so that theory goes out the window. I'm addicted to MMA now.

Anyone else watching the Ultimate Fighter 5 show? I got Joe Lauzon (sp?) and Manny making the finals, both looked real impressive in their first fight.

D-Wade 05-23-2007 12:36 AM

If Rampage of old shows up then Liddell in trouble

fatboy11 05-23-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

If Rampage of old shows up then Liddell in trouble

Only problem being that we haven't seen that fighter in years......

D-Wade 05-23-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Only problem being that we haven't seen that fighter in years......

Its since he turned to god. He just needs to get that ruthless'ness back.

D-Wade 05-23-2007 12:46 AM

Also what do you all think about Shogun signing with the UFC. I would of rather seen him stay in Pride for a bit longer.

hateraid 05-23-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AceVenturaPetDet
chuck is old news

About as old news as PBM

fatboy11 05-23-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Also what do you all think about Shogun signing with the UFC. I would of rather seen him stay in Pride for a bit longer.

Me too. However, Pride FC is officially dead.

The UFC is just picking off all of their best fighters. They're in serious talks with Hendo right now. Seriously looking at Fedor. Already snatched Cro Cop, Werdum, and pretty had Big Nog before the purchase (which is still in doubt).

Pride FC is dead. It sucks. I wish they just would have shut it down instead of telling us "Oh, it will be the same...blah blah blah".

As for Shogun, I pray to God that they throw him on the 72 card. I don't think the main card is all that horrible like most people, but I was expecting it to be a Spike show.

hateraid 05-23-2007 09:08 AM

I glad to see Karo back on a PPV card. I'm stoked to see him fight Burkman.

Ballastic 05-23-2007 10:55 AM

Iceman is gonna whoop the shyt out of Jackson.