Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia 76ers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sixers close to signing Jay Williams (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4346)

IGGYIVERSON 07-06-2006 09:57 PM

Sixers close to signing Jay Williams

this according to http://thebiglead.com/?p=611

Quote:

It took Williams two grueling years to recover from the injuries, and finally, he appears healthy enough to join another team and take the court again.

A source tells us that Williams is expected to sign with the Philadelphia 76ers tomorrow (Friday). Apparently, Williams was supposed to sign with the New Jersey Nets last week, but on draft night, while aboard the Nets private jet, he had the misfortune of watching Connecticut’s Marcus Williams – arguably the highest-rated point guard in the draft – slide all the way down to 22, where New Jersey snatched him to back up Jason Kidd.

Williams had a strong workout with his hometown Nets, and you could tell he wanted to play there. But Philadelphia won’t be far from his family, and even if Allen Iverson doesn’t get dealt – we keep hearing he won’t – Williams has a very good chance to become the No. 2 point guard in Philly when the season begins.

interesting. i guess Philly needs to gamble at this point. lets hope the kid can still play a little bit.

kwajo 07-06-2006 09:59 PM

what? should have gone with TO, backed up TJ, been a spark off the bench

artificial 07-06-2006 10:02 PM

interesting... i dont really see why he wants to play in philly, but i couldn't be happier. :banana:

do it jay! sign in philly!

boshraptor4life 07-06-2006 10:03 PM

Yeah he would have got time in Toronto, AI plays the most minutes in the league, like 43 per game, meaning theres like 5 minutes for Jay.

geeWiz15 07-06-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

It took Williams two grueling years to recover from the injuries, and finally, he appears healthy enough to join another team and take the court again.
This marks the 3464364th time I've heard this.

Quote:

what? should have gone with TO, backed up TJ, been a spark off the bench
Why does a TJ Ford led team need a spark off the bench? They got a spark in the starting lineup. What they need is a ball controller off the bench. Besides, TJ plays 40 minutes like every night, he's a flawless athlete, never gets tired. Plus, they're the same player.

I think Philly is a good fit for him because he can start and they need him. Can't really say that for any other team.

DoubleTech 07-06-2006 10:06 PM

good for jay williams...

i think he'll be good enough to start right away and move iverson to the SG position.

boshraptor4life 07-06-2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeWiz15
This marks the 3464364th time I've heard this.

Why does a TJ Ford led team need a spark off the bench? They got a spark in the starting lineup. What they need is a ball controller off the bench. Besides, TJ plays 40 minutes like every night, he's a flawless athlete, never gets tired. Plus, they're the same player.

I think Philly is a good fit for him because he can start and they need him. Can't really say that for any other team.

He'll get less time behind AI though than he would behind TJ. I'm not quite sure that's a reliable source though.

boshraptor4life 07-06-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleTech
good for jay williams...

i think he'll be good enough to start right away and move iverson to the SG position.

Iverson is one of those players that needs the ball at all times to be effective.

funkylikemonkey 07-06-2006 10:09 PM

This is what the Star Ledger said about him.

Quote:

Dave D'Alessandro, writing in The Sporting News, quotes an anonymous "Eastern Conference assistant coach" as saying that in his workout Jay Williams had lost his quickness and is "almost an ordinary 6-foot guy now." D'Alessandro, who covers the Nets for the Star-Ledger, did not provide further details on the assistant who worked out Williams nor any assessment of who might sign him.

GOBB 07-06-2006 10:09 PM

Last time he played was when? Someone post his game stats to the last game Jay Williams played in. Or maybe that is TOO FAR BACK for anyone to remember. Espn.com, nba.com probably has a laughing emoticon when you look at the game log for that game. Whats my point? *shrugs*

Its wishful thinkin to even think Jay will make the squad let alone get significant minutes. :confusedshrug:

StraightHustlinInTDOT 07-06-2006 10:10 PM

How hard is it to play PG in Philly:
1. Bring ball up court
2. Pass the ball to AI
3. Get out of his way and watch him go 1 on 5 and chuck the ball
4. Get back on D

The hardest part is playing D

GOBB 07-06-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
This is what the Star Ledger said about him.

Billy King said that....wont say that actual quote but he said Jay Williams lost his explosiveness, his quickness the things that made him the #2 pick in the draft. But that he still had his bball smarts and could play. Basically implying he wont be the Jay Williams people expected, but in a backup/bench role he can do just as good as a Kevin Olllie. Noty shocked nor surprised at the quote. That motorcycle crash he had was NASTY. Lucky he has both limbs functioning let alone gonna be this comeback player like a TJ Ford.

geeWiz15 07-06-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

He'll get less time behind AI though than he would behind TJ.
I was thinking he'd start beside AI. If they're thinking of putting him behind AI, I wouldn't sign there, you're right, he'd never play.

boshraptor4life 07-06-2006 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I was thinking he'd start beside AI. If they're thinking of putting him behind AI, I wouldn't sign there, you're right, he'd never play.

Yeah, well if he started beside AI, alls he'd do is jog up and down the court and be a spectator, AI controls the ball no matter what, and the last time AI was a sg didn't go too **** hot.

hawkfan 07-06-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Last time he played was when? Someone post his game stats to the last game Jay Williams played in. Or maybe that is TOO FAR BACK for anyone to remember. Espn.com, nba.com probably has a laughing emoticon when you look at the game log for that game. Whats my point? *shrugs*

Its wishful thinkin to even think Jay will make the squad let alone get significant minutes. :confusedshrug:

Williams ought to go to Europe for a year or two and then come back to the U.S.

He needs the minutes on court and the experience.

Good luck if he comes back.