Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   I think we're going to trade Luck this off-season. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440526)

Carbine 09-25-2017 07:18 PM

I think we're going to trade Luck this off-season.

To either the Browns or 49'ers. And we draft Darnold.

Both teams are loaded full of picks to withstand trading away multiple picks and still having enough to continue building around Luck.

We need so much more than Luck that all of his athletic prime will be wasted before we get the type of team around him that is needed to win a title.

Our new GM has no ties to Luck.

CelticBaller 09-25-2017 07:24 PM

Re: I think we're going to trade Luck this off-season.

Brissett will be a franchise QB

knickballer 09-25-2017 07:27 PM

You only trade Luck if you feel that he hasn't recovered from his injuries and that you don't think he'll be durable again. Other than that you don't trade a QB of Luck's caliber. He's the type of player that franchises trade all their assets for. He's shown he can carry horrible Colt teams into the playoffs.

If anything the Colts should just trade down their top pick for a shit ton of assets, just look at how much the 49ers got for trading down one spot in last years draft. They'll probably draft a bunch of busts knowing the Colts tho.

They should also do what ever it takes to get Harbaugh back in the NFL to coach up his boy.

Carbine 09-25-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
You only trade Luck if you feel that he hasn't recovered from his injuries and that you don't think he'll be durable again. Other than that you don't trade a QB of Luck's caliber. He's the type of player that franchises trade all their assets for. He's shown he can carry horrible Colt teams into the playoffs.

If anything the Colts should just trade down their top pick for a shit ton of assets, just look at how much the 49ers got for trading down one spot in last years draft. They'll probably draft a bunch of busts knowing the Colts tho.

They should also do what ever it takes to get Harbaugh back in the NFL to coach up his boy.

Which is why he would be traded. Trading him jump starts our rebuild by years. Ballard (Our GM) actually knows how to build a team and in his mind armed with all those extra picks from trading Luck can build the type of team needed around Darnold to entrench us firmly as a AFC contender for years.

Ballard has shown no regard for keeping high picks from Grigsons era. He traded Dorsett, he traded Allen. He will trade Luck if he gets his price.

knickballer 09-25-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbine
Which is why he would be traded. Trading him jump starts our rebuild by years. Ballard (Our GM) actually knows how to build a team and in his mind armed with all those extra picks from trading Luck can build the type of team needed around Darnold to entrench us firmly as a AFC contender for years.

Ballard has shown no regard for keeping high picks from Grigsons era. He traded Dorsett, he traded Allen. He will trade Luck if he gets his price.

But how much in return can the Colts get from trading luck as opposed to the first or second overall pick? I think there's a point where a team decides its enough and won't trade any more assets. For example(hypothetical), Lets say you get 4 first round picks and 2nd rounders for Luck (or w/e crazy amount) but instead you can get 3 first round picks for that top overall pick. You'll get diminishing returns for trading luck, are those two extra second round picks worth is as opposed to trading the first overall pick? Furthermore, you're banking on this Darnold kid or w/e QB you draft to be a star. We know they aren't going to be on Luck's level and finding a QB of Luck's caliber is near impossible.

But it does get tricky for Indy as they'll be in win now mode soon. You cant be stock piling on future drafts as Luck starts to age. So theoretically you probably should trade him.I think the best scenario for Indy would be trying to get a large ransom for that first overall pick and using those assets to improve. Like if they can get a RG3 type of deal. Trade one of those first round picks for a stand out player on a good contract, etc.

Bless Mathews 09-25-2017 10:06 PM

I think your right lil carby.

Luck is one of the few TRULY injury prone players in the league

His football iq is decent, but his injury avoiding iq Ian absolutely one of the worst I've seen.

Especially when seeing how smOart our qb plays

I would get a hall while you can

Bump this poast over next few years after each luck injury that comes directly from having low injury iq.

Carbine 09-25-2017 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
But how much in return can the Colts get from trading luck as opposed to the first or second overall pick? I think there's a point where a team decides its enough and won't trade any more assets. For example(hypothetical), Lets say you get 4 first round picks and 2nd rounders for Luck (or w/e crazy amount) but instead you can get 3 first round picks for that top overall pick. You'll get diminishing returns for trading luck, are those two extra second round picks worth is as opposed to trading the first overall pick? Furthermore, you're banking on this Darnold kid or w/e QB you draft to be a star. We know they aren't going to be on Luck's level and finding a QB of Luck's caliber is near impossible.

But it does get tricky for Indy as they'll be in win now mode soon. You cant be stock piling on future drafts as Luck starts to age. So theoretically you probably should trade him.I think the best scenario for Indy would be trying to get a large ransom for that first overall pick and using those assets to improve. Like if they can get a RG3 type of deal. Trade one of those first round picks for a stand out player on a good contract, etc.

Are you saying we could trade luck, get the ransom (including the first overall pick) and then trade the first overall pick for even more picks?

Charlie Sheen 09-26-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Are you saying we could trade luck, get the ransom (including the first overall pick) and then trade the first overall pick for even more picks?

What sense would that make? Trade up to #1 just to trade it again? Don't get too cute about it or overthink this one. Either your guy is at the top of this draft or there's no reason to cash in on Luck to move all the way up there.

Nanners 09-26-2017 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
I think your right lil carby.

Luck is one of the few TRULY injury prone players in the league

His football iq is decent, but his injury avoiding iq Ian absolutely one of the worst I've seen.

Especially when seeing how smOart our qb plays

I would get a hall while you can

Bump this poast over next few years after each luck injury that comes directly from having low injury iq.

Nonsense.

Historically Luck has been a very sturdy QB, and his recent injury struggles are more due to playing behind a horrendous offensive line with near zero rushing threat rather than his "injury iq" imo. Luck never once sustained a significant injury in college, and he played all 16 games his first 3 NFL seasons without appearing on the injury report a single time. He missed half of 2015 after he ****ed up his shoulder, but he played 15 games in 2016.

Nanners 09-26-2017 03:39 AM

I think the Colts rebuild is gonna take more than 1 season. If you guys put Darnold into this offense with zero running game, a very questionable offensive line, and some of the worst coaching in the NFL... that seems like a potential recipe for disaster.

The Colts have below average talent at almost every position on the field, so I think instead of putting tons of eggs into one basket like Darnold, it makes more sense to spread the eggs out and get as many draft picks as possible. If I was the Colts GM I would trade away Luck (if the price is right) and also trade down with my 2017 first round pick, and then I would use all those extra picks for rebuilding the defense, beefing up the offensive line, getting a young stud RB, and maybe trying my luck on a 3rd-5th round QB with the hope that I get a Derrick Carr, Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott. Aside from Luck, the Colts dont really have any big contracts on their books, so trading Luck and filling the team with dudes on rookie contracts would also give them a ton of money to play with in free agency.

The AFC is competitive as hell right now with Denver, KC, Oakland, and maaaybe Pittsburgh looking like they could be superbowl teams... and yet all of those fantastic teams are underdogs because the GOAT QB and GOAT coach already own the AFC. The AFC south is also the strongest it has been in years - Tennessee is loaded on offense and just torched two of the best defenses in the league the past two weeks, Jacksonville seems like it might finally be a legit team, and the Texans have quite a bit of talent. Considering the level of competition in the AFC right now, this seems like a great time for a team like the colts to go full rebuild mode.

DukeDelonte13 09-26-2017 08:08 AM

they won't trade him if he comes back healthy and they shouldn't. If he comes back as damaged goods like Colt Mccoy did after he f*cked his shoulder up at Texas then they should consider moving him.

No QB needy team is going to trade down from the top spot and pass on a franchise QB though. That's a pipe dream.

Carbine 09-26-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
What sense would that make? Trade up to #1 just to trade it again? Don't get too cute about it or overthink this one. Either your guy is at the top of this draft or there's no reason to cash in on Luck to move all the way up there.

I would take Darnold, but it it worth at least speculating about.

Say the Colts have the 5th overall pick and the 49ers have the 1st overall.

They trade Luck to the 49ers for that 1st overall, a 2nd rounder and a future first.

Now they have the 1st overall, 5th overall, two 2nd rounders, a future 1st in their pocket.

You could then turn around and trade that #1 pick for another ransom similar to the RG3 trade and add even more picks to what you already have.

I wouldn't pass on Darnold though.

Nanners 09-26-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

I would take Darnold, but it it worth at least speculating about.

Say the Colts have the 5th overall pick and the 49ers have the 1st overall.

They trade Luck to the 49ers for that 1st overall, a 2nd rounder and a future first.

Now they have the 1st overall, 5th overall, two 2nd rounders, a future 1st in their pocket.

You could then turn around and trade that #1 pick for another ransom similar to the RG3 trade and add even more picks to what you already have.

I wouldn't pass on Darnold though.

Why would the rebuilding niners trade 1st overall, a 2nd rounder, and a future first in exchange for Luck @ $25mil/yr when they could just take Darnold on a 4 year rookie deal with that #1 and keep the rest of their picks? The 9ers need those picks, like the Colts they have holes all over the roster.

I think the teams that would be most likely to give up a bushel of picks for Luck are talented teams that would potentially be put over the top by a good QB and dont have too many holes to fill - Denver, Jags, Giants... something like that.

Bless Mathews 09-26-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanners
Nonsense.

Historically Luck has been a very sturdy QB, and his recent injury struggles are more due to playing behind a horrendous offensive line with near zero rushing threat rather than his "injury iq" imo. Luck never once sustained a significant injury in college, and he played all 16 games his first 3 NFL seasons without appearing on the injury report a single time. He missed half of 2015 after he ****ed up his shoulder, but he played 15 games in 2016.

:roll:

How he hurt his spleen again????

:roll:

Comeon bro. He dodge land mines. He plays super dumb

I'll wait for the spleen/ back injury doe ....

Carbine 09-26-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanners
Why would the rebuilding niners trade 1st overall, a 2nd rounder, and a future first in exchange for Luck @ $25mil/yr when they could just take Darnold on a 4 year rookie deal with that #1 and keep the rest of their picks? The 9ers need those picks, like the Colts they have holes all over the roster.

I think the teams that would be most likely to give up a bushel of picks for Luck are talented teams that would potentially be put over the top by a good QB and dont have too many holes to fill - Denver, Jags, Giants... something like that.

Because the 49ers have a plethora of picks. I believe they have two picks in each of the second third and fourth rounds. They actually have a young defense. The whole dline is littered with high first rounders. Reuben foster is a Luke Kuechly type ILB prospect they have. Young safety duo.

Obviously they need work but they're a lot farther along than the Colts are.

You make the trade because luck is a known commidity. 10 years of luck is worth a lot. I'd say the 49ers compete for the divison within two years if they made the trade.