Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Driverless Cars to hit Phoenix public roads VERY soon (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440765)

highwhey 10-04-2017 06:17 PM

Driverless Cars to hit Phoenix public roads VERY soon

Waymo (Google) has plans to introduce driverless cars on the public streets of Phoenix as soon as a couple months time, possibly even in what remains of 2017.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/10...ice-this-year/

GM is also conducting self-driving tests here in Phoenix, as is Intel and Uber. As someone who is in this industry, let me tell you something: we will be seeing completely driverless cars in 2018. Not on a major scale, and none of these companies will transition their entire fleet into driverless vehicles, but each has plans to do several cars. It's an arms race.

The future is now.

Lord P 10-04-2017 06:59 PM

Re: Driverless Cars to hit Phoenix public roads VERY soon

R.I.P. to delivery professions.

JohnnySic 10-04-2017 07:10 PM

When I see a car going down the street without a driver, I'm getting the hell out of there.

Dr Seuss 10-04-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord P

people are gonna have to come out of their house/be home in order to grab their package from the car?

Hawker 10-04-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Does this mean I no longer need to tip?

warriorfan 10-04-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

I'm sure UPS is dying to replace their entire fleet with brand new self driving vehicles

Not

HylianNightmare 10-04-2017 07:39 PM

Im old, don't like

Orlando Magic 10-04-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
When I see a car going down the street without a driver, I'm getting the hell out of there.

I feel you to an extent and I understand that the cars will probably never have true intuition in our lifetimes but they will get to the point that they are safer, statistically speaking, than humans.

highwhey 10-04-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic

human idiots on their cellphones or drunk should scare you. when a robot car fails, it just comes to a safe stop...

qrich 10-04-2017 08:22 PM

:D

Lord P 10-04-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warriorfan
I'm sure UPS is dying to replace their entire fleet with brand new self driving vehicles

Not

I was thinking along the line of pizza delivery boys. Itíll be a while before it hits mail.

highwhey 10-04-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qrich
[IMG]

:D

ok...? obviously you didn't read the full story, it wasn't uber's fault, it was the other driver's fault per the official police report. :confusedshrug:

Back In Shape 10-04-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Yep. I believe truck drivers followed by mail delivery drivers are the single biggest professions an uneducated person can still make a middle class income with. Should be interesting to see what the wealth gap looks after those 2 are taken away. Hopefully there's a robot tax in the works.

qrich 10-04-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwhey
ok...? obviously you didn't read the full story, it wasn't uber's fault, it was the other driver's fault per the official police report. :confusedshrug:

I know the full story, just trolling. Think the other driver ran a red?

I drove by that ish too.

highwhey 10-04-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qrich
I know the full story, just trolling. Think the other driver ran a red?

I drove by that ish too.

yep. a couple weeks ago a drunken driver rear ended another self driving uber in tempe. good thing those Volvos have a 5 star safety rating.

not much you can do about stupid people.