Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone use Alexa or Google home? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440793)

BigNBAfan 10-05-2017 02:34 PM

Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Curious... i've heard mixed reviews regarding speech recognition and pros vs cons.

Alexa looks to be better right now but google has more potential and it does follow up questions (Ex. 1. What's the weather like? 2 what about tomorrow?)

Both are cheap, but that new mini alexa dot with the screen looks nice - considering you can view security cameras with a "show me-" voice command

imdaman99 10-05-2017 02:36 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
:biggums: Don't you make 500K a year? Why bother with google home or Alexa when you can have your own butler?

stalkerforlife 10-05-2017 02:39 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by imdaman99
:biggums: Don't you make 500K a year? Why bother with google home or Alexa when you can have your own butler?


:roll:

I remember him questioning if he should get Amazon Prime or something because of the price.

BigNBAfan 10-05-2017 02:40 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by imdaman99
:biggums: Don't you make 500K a year? Why bother with google home or Alexa when you can have your own butler?


500k is a projection salary from of what i made the first few weeks my dude

UK2K 10-05-2017 02:40 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/16/1...xa-google-home

BigNBAfan 10-05-2017 02:41 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 

:applause:


southpark so edgy

UK2K 10-05-2017 02:47 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
:applause:


southpark so edgy


https://twitter.com/MoritzWittmann/s...xa-google-home

That'd drive me crazy.

dazzer87 10-05-2017 02:49 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
I have both and I prefer GH over Alexa....GH is smarter...better search engine. Alexa use Bing (enough said). GH controls all my lights, thermostats and tv, receiver, and projector. Also, with GH you could now use it as a lan line to make phone calls for free.

Proctor 10-05-2017 02:50 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Alexa, post to InsideHoops pictures of my 10 year old Dell laptop

UK2K 10-05-2017 02:53 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer87
I have both and I prefer GH over Alexa....GH is smarter...better search engine. Alexa use Bing (enough said). GH controls all my lights, thermostats and tv, receiver, and projector. Also, with GH you could now use it as a lan line to make phone calls for free.


Nice.

Would you suggest it?

I suck with technology though.

BigNBAfan 10-05-2017 02:55 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Proctor
Alexa, post to InsideHoops pictures of my 10 year old Dell laptop


get a new laptop bro, they're like 100 bucks these days

I just bought a dell 5000 for business, under 500 and change

http://i.dell.com/das/xa.ashx/global...504x350-ng.psd

BigNBAfan 10-05-2017 02:57 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer87
I have both and I prefer GH over Alexa....GH is smarter...better search engine. Alexa use Bing (enough said). GH controls all my lights, thermostats and tv, receiver, and projector. Also, with GH you could now use it as a lan line to make phone calls for free.


What hub do you use?

The biggest reason i've considered Alexa is because the alexa-enabled smart devices do not require a hub.

dazzer87 10-05-2017 03:08 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UK2K
Nice.

Would you suggest it?

I suck with technology though.


Its not that hard to setup. On top of Google Home or Alexa you will need harmony hub this will control all your media devices (tv, recevier, media player like firetv, roku, etc,etc,etc,)

I also have Samsung SmartThings which is another hub. Also, I have replace all my light switches and dimmers to zwave light switches. So at the end it could be expensive. if you want to control everything with your voice. IMHO in my case its worth it. Smart theromatats (Nest or Ecobee) will run you about 200-300 bucks.

UK2K 10-05-2017 03:12 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer87
Its not that hard to setup. On top of Google Home or Alexa you will need harmony hub this will control all your media devices (tv, recevier, media player like firetv, roku, etc,etc,etc,)

I also have Samsung SmartThings which is another hub. Also, I have replace all my light switches and dimmers to zwave light switches. So at the end it could be expensive. if you want to control everything with your voice. IMHO in my case its worth it. Smart theromatats (Nest or Ecobee) will run you about 200-300 bucks.


Dude I don't even know what a hub is....

It's that bad.

Jailblazers7 10-05-2017 03:18 PM

Re: Anyone use Alexa or Google home?
 
I literally only use my Amazon Echo as a timer for when I'm cooking or doing laundry. Maybe ask what the weather is once a week too.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy