Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the GOAT American rock band (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440802)

ScalsFan21 10-05-2017 09:54 PM

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the GOAT American rock band

And that shouldn't even be a hot take. Sorry Eagles/Bruce. Overall their hits were better, their albums were better.

Kblaze8855 10-06-2017 08:06 AM

Re: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the GOAT American rock band

From an iconic song standpoint I'm not sure who beats out Lynyrd Skynyrd at least where ive spent most of my life(the south). Who has 2 more iconic songs than Freebird and Simple Man? I'm not saying the answer is nobody...im saying it isn't a long list. They just didn't last long with the plane crash. Id say their best matches Pettys best but he has a longer track record of course.

andgar923 10-06-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
And that shouldn't even be a hot take. Sorry Eagles/Bruce. Overall their hits were better, their albums were better.

I really like them but not close.

HylianNightmare 10-06-2017 12:57 PM

Nickelback

FatComputerNerd 10-06-2017 12:57 PM

Agreed

But The Wilburys >

FatComputerNerd 10-06-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
From an iconic song standpoint I'm not sure who beats out Lynyrd Skynyrd at least where ive spent most of my life(the south). Who has 2 more iconic songs than Freebird and Simple Man? I'm not saying the answer is nobody...im saying it isn't a long list. They just didn't last long with the plane crash. Id say their best matches Pettys best but he has a longer track record of course.

CSNY

Allman Bros'

Grateful Dead

G&R
Aerosmith
Cornell/Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana

Prolly more I'm leaving out.

Skynard are def. up there though

*edit* - forgot The Doors!!!

ScalsFan21 10-06-2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

It's a good point, although I guess iconic song wise the Eagles come somewhat close to this with Hotel California and Take It Easy.

dunksby 10-07-2017 03:35 AM

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Allman Brothers Band and Funkadelic just off the top of my head. Tom Petty is nowhere near.

ScalsFan21 10-07-2017 04:38 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yai8fxLok8

:bowdown:

stalkerforlife 10-07-2017 09:54 PM

This is right by my house.

TheMan 10-08-2017 09:39 PM

How crazy is it that you can argue that Britain has the top 5 GOAT bands with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd :eek:

ScalsFan21 10-08-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMan
How crazy is it that you can argue that Britain has the top 5 GOAT bands with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd :eek:

The gap is so glaring, it's unbelievable. Even when you go deeper into it, they stay outpacing us even if you look at maybe the top 30 or so. Crazy.

TheMan 10-09-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
The gap is so glaring, it's unbelievable. Even when you go deeper into it, they stay outpacing us even if you look at maybe the top 30 or so. Crazy.

Yeah, you can also add Queen, David Bowie, U2 (they formed in Ireland but a couple of the members were English born), Radiohead, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple...

FatComputerNerd 10-12-2017 02:34 PM

I think The Byrds deserve mention here.

Also, wtf about no mention of Simon & Garfunkle? I guess they were more folk than rock, but that line often blurs.

ThePhantomCreep 10-12-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
I think The Byrds deserve mention here.

Also, wtf about no mention of Simon & Garfunkle? I guess they were more folk than rock, but that line often blurs.

Those groups were so short-lived it's hard to give them GOAT status.

I love CCR, but they suffer the same fate.

I'm surprised Metallica hasn't been mentioned. They only have one bad studio album on their resume (St. Anger) and they're still going strong +35 years after they formed.