Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cleveland Cavaliers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why the hell did the Cavs sign Larry Hughes? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4460)

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:28 PM

Why the hell did the Cavs sign Larry Hughes?
 
The cavs shelled out like 10 million a year for a non-shooting 2 gaurd when they already have Eric Snow in the starting lineup :hammerhead:, not to mention Pavlovic and Harris (who are both much better fits next to Lebron anyway). Then they go out and Flip Murray, an undersized 2 gaurd with limited range. And to top it off they go out and draft Shanon Brown. Why are the cavs stockpiling shooting gaurds, and why did they overpay such a mediocre player as Larry Hughes.:wtf:

The Cavs now have atleast 4 shooting gaurds (5 if you count Damon Jones): Hughes, Pavlovic, Murray, Brown.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

RedBlackAttack 07-07-2006 08:40 PM

Murray is a free agent who probably won't be back. Pavlovic stinks. DJones is being shopped.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The guy that the Cavs really wanted was Michael Redd, but he decided to stay with the Bucks. I thought the Cavs should have went after Joe Johnson harder than they did, but Hughes was definitely the 3rd best option (I don't believe Allen ever had any intention to leave the Sonics). It didn't help that he was injured most of the regular season and lost his brother in the middle of the playoffs. Remember... the Cavs were 18-10 and playing really well when Hughes had his surgery. If he could have played the entire season (or atleast most of it), who knows how well they could have done in the playoffs.

I still think the main problem with the Cavs is that they don't have a PG with any range. If they did, it would open things up for Larry to slash to the hoop.

Qwyjibo 07-07-2006 08:43 PM

Because it was a desperation signing. They had so much cap room but Redd and Allen both re-signed so the Cavs settled for Larry Hughes... a player that doesn't fit on that team one bit.

InLebronWeTrust 07-07-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
The cavs shelled out like 10 million a year for a non-shooting 2 gaurd when they already have Eric Snow in the starting lineup :hammerhead:, not to mention Pavlovic and Harris (who are both much better fits next to Lebron anyway). Then they go out and Flip Murray, an undersized 2 gaurd with limited range. And to top it off they go out and draft Shanon Brown. Why are the cavs stockpiling shooting gaurds, and why did they overpay such a mediocre player as Larry Hughes.:wtf:

The Cavs now have atleast 4 shooting gaurds (5 if you count Damon Jones): Hughes, Pavlovic, Murray, Brown.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:




They paid hughes a little too much, ill agree with that. But he's a very talented player. You cant blame him on not performing well when he was injured over half of the season. Just give him time and he will perform. The cavs actually have 3 SG as of now. Hughes, Pavlovic, and Brown because they wont be resigning Murray because he's a free agent. They had to have gotten Shannon Brown. They weren't gonna let him pass up. He was one of the biggest steals of the draft and he shouldn't have gotten left that far behind. There first priority was a PG but there weren't any really worth getting over brown at the time, so they picked up Daniel Gibson out of texas with their first 2nd round pick. SO hit yourself in the head with a hammer senor. WHACK WHACK WHACK :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Murray is a free agent who probably won't be back. Pavlovic stinks. DJones is being shopped.

Pavlovic and Murray were about 75% as good as Hughes at about 10% of the price....

InLebronWeTrust 07-07-2006 08:45 PM

[quote=I still think the main problem with the Cavs is that they don't have a PG with any range. If they did, it would open things up for Larry to slash to the hoop.[/QUOTE]

Your absolutely right. Id kill for someone like Jason Terry but that went down the drain since he resigned. Not liek cleveland could afford him anyway.

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

They paid hughes a little too much, ill agree with that. But he's a very talented player.

A little to much? Dude you don't shell out the big bucks for middle of the road players, especially middle of the road SHOOTING GAURDS!!!!

RedBlackAttack 07-07-2006 08:47 PM

To follow up on "InLeBronWeTrust", Gibson is the PG that they wanted in the first round anyway. The reason why they took Brown is because he fell in their laps and they couldn't pass him up. They actually were trying to make some moves to improve their position in the 2nd round in order to obtain Gibson, but again, he fell to them anyway. There is no way that anyone objective can look at the Cavs' draft and say that they did not do well. They couldn't possibly have done better, as a matter of fact.

RedBlackAttack 07-07-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
Pavlovic and Murray were about 75% as good as Hughes at about 10% of the price....

Have you watched Pavlovic play? He is absolutely horrible... especially on defense. LH is WAY better than Sasha just for the defense alone, and it is not as if Pavlovic is a great scorer. He is a liability when he is on the floor. That is the reason they had to get Murray midway through the season. Pavlovic was getting eaten alive.

Murray is a free agent... he is all but gone.

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:52 PM

THe cavs did fine in the draft. Now if the Cavs can trade Larry Hughes and Big Z for some cap space to sign Mike James that would be perfect.

PG: Snow/Gibson
SG: MJames/Brown/Sasha
SF: LJames/Ira/Luke
PF: Donyell/?
C: Varejao/?

That team will be a true contender, you get a clutch 22 ppg scorer in Mike James for very little money.

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Have you watched Pavlovic play? He is absolutely horrible... especially on defense. LH is WAY better than Sasha just for the defense alone, and it is not as if Pavlovic is a great scorer. He is a liability when he is on the floor. That is the reason they had to get Murray midway through the season. Pavlovic was getting eaten alive.

Hughes is a better defensive player then Murray and Pavlovic no doubt. And all 3 suck azz at shooting. But having watched the Cavs Hughes is hardly an improvement over Murray, I thought Pavlovic did okay on defense and offense but maybe I didn't watch enough cavs games.

InLebronWeTrust 07-07-2006 08:57 PM

IM sorry but i wouldnt do that trade.. gotta throw in someone else or some picks

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:57 PM

Just to make it clear I think all 3 of the Cavs shooting gaurds suck, the only difference is Hughes is getting paid big money to suck ass.

TheBigAristotle1 07-07-2006 08:58 PM

Why not trade Hughes and Big Z for Stromile Swift?

DeuceWallaces 07-07-2006 09:01 PM

LH was an awful signing. Injury prone, overpaid, poor shooter, and just a gambler on D with no man up D skills.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy