Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boston Celtics Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The forgotten Reggie Lewis (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4563)

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 03:02 AM

The forgotten Reggie Lewis
 
I've been thinking about Reggie Lewis lately. When I first started watching basketball, I was a big Reggie Lewis fan (along with Larry of course), and have noticed how nobody really ever talks about him. I remember that he was the top ranked small forward in the East and people thought more of him than Dominique Wilikns or Scottie Pippen.

It's exciting yet sad to think how good the Celtics could have been. Len Bias died in 1986, and was compared by many to be Michael Jordan with more athleticism and size. Reggie Lewis would have been the perfect complimentary player (like Scottie), but he passed away in 1993. A tandem of Bias and Lewis would have given the Bulls fits. I remember a commentator once saying that Lewis blocked Jordan 4 times in a game, that has always stuck with me. The Celtics really missed out because of the lost transition years that Lewis and Bias should have supplied. Instead players like Radja, Brown, Fox and Douglas were holding over until the Celtics could rebuild. It still hasn't happened. Pierce would have never gotten to wear number 34, Bias would have had it retired.

Tragic Celtic events: (all featuring small forwards)
-Len Bias overdoses from cocaine before ever suiting up for a game.
-Larry Bird is forced to retire from back pain
-Reggie Lewis dies from a heart attack.
-Paul Pierce is stabbed.

That seems pretty weird, heaps of crap.

I appreciate your comments on what the Celtic could have been with Bias and Lewis as the tandem. Thoise guys would have learnt a lot from Bird, McHale and Parish, and McHale and Parish would have been around until 1994 with them as well.

Juvenile 07-09-2006 04:10 AM

would the celtics have gotten Lewis if Bias had never died? doubtful

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvenile
would the celtics have gotten Lewis if Bias had never died? doubtful


Get your facts straight buddy.

In 1986, the Celtics drafted Bias with the 2nd overall pick of the draft.

In 1987, the Celtics drafted Lewis with the 22nd pick (2nd last pick in the 1st round). A pick they probably would've had anyway. Lewis was from Northeastern University, and wasn't very heavily scouted.

The Celtics were just great drafters. There is no doubt in my mind that the Celtics would've landed both players.

I asked you to comment on how much of a force the Celtics would have been with Bias and Lewis. I think they would have upended the Bulls for a few championships.

hateraid 07-09-2006 06:32 AM

....
 
trust me Ceddy, he's not forgotten. THE best jump shooter off the dribble ever.

MaxFly 07-09-2006 06:58 AM

I certainly haven't forgotten about him. The Celtics wouldn't be in the position they are in now if Bias and Reggie had played out their careers...

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFly
I certainly haven't forgotten about him. The Celtics wouldn't be in the position they are in now if Bias and Reggie had played out their careers...


Imagine say, the 89-90 Celtics.

CT: Robert Parish/ Joe Kleine
PF: Kevin McHale/ Len Bias/ Ed Pinckney
SF: Larry Bird/ Len Bias
SG: Reggie Lewis/ Kevin Gamble
PG: Dennis Johnson/ John Bagley

There is no way any team is topping these guys. You can forget about the bad boys, and forget about the Bulls in this time too. Lewis played very good D o nJordan, and when Lewis was on offense he also gave Jordan fits (he once said that Lewis was one of the hardest guys to guard). Bias would be a matchup nightmare for the Bulls as well, they would've had to put Pippen on Bird, leaving McHale to work on Grant and Parish to have his way with Cartwright. I just think the different lineups that Boston could have thrown at teams like New York, Detroit and Chicago, would have thrown those teams off their games and given them way too much to do on defense. 5 bonafide ALLSTARS on one team, Lewis, Bird, Bias, Parish and McHale. Scary scary stuff.

GOBB 07-09-2006 08:12 AM

Reggie died 13yrs ago. You're from New Zealand. Explain how that is possible to grow up watching him please. I dont think you actually did. Who was the player who guarded Reggie when he initially went down on the court?


And i doubt Boston even drafts Reggie Lewis had Bias been picked. Probably would have went for another position.

JtotheIzzo 07-09-2006 08:25 AM

You forgot Brian Shaw on that late 80s Celtics team (he played there from 88 to 92, minus a year in Italy).

He was also an unheralded draft pick out of UCSB.

I think he had like 14ppg and 7 or 8apg as the starting PG in 90-91.

Would the Cs have taken Reggie had Len still been around, that is up for debate, but seeing how he went to college in Boston and their pick was late in the first round it is very possible they would have wether it be a pressing need or not.

I miss the days when the Celtics made good decisions on draft day.

Skywalker 07-09-2006 08:28 AM

Wasn't Danny Ainge still playing pretty well around that time?

KingofKings718 07-09-2006 08:36 AM

Danny Ainge was a Blazer during that time frame.


Those C's would've been a heavyweight in the East hands down though. And LOL@ the C's SF's bad luck over the years.

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Reggie died 13yrs ago. You're from New Zealand. Explain how that is possible to grow up watching him please. I dont think you actually did. Who was the player who guarded Reggie when he initially went down on the court?


And i doubt Boston even drafts Reggie Lewis had Bias been picked. Probably would have went for another position.


We got one game a week on free to air TV. Celtics games used to show a lot around that time, and Lewis was my favourite player. Is that hard to understand? Just because I'm fro mNZ doesn't mean I couldn't admire a player on TV.

I never saw the game he went down in. But I assume its someone like Kendall Gill?

GOBB 07-09-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturnofCed
We got one game a week on free to air TV. Celtics games used to show a lot around that time, and Lewis was my favourite player. Is that hard to understand? Just because I'm fro mNZ doesn't mean I couldn't admire a player on TV.

I never saw the game he went down in. But I assume its someone like Kendall Gill?


Uh huh. Never said you couldnt admire a player but being tho you were limited in seeing him actually play is funny. Once a week was enough and every game was the Celtics? Or every other week? Because if that was the case that your once a week fix on bball was limited to watching the Celtics vs, then you cant really comment on too many players back then. How old were you 10? 11?

David Wingate was guarding him.

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Uh huh. Never said you couldnt admire a player but being tho you were limited in seeing him actually play is funny. Once a week was enough and every game was the Celtics? Or every other week? Because if that was the case that your once a week fix on bball was limited to watching the Celtics vs, then you cant really comment on too many players back then. How old were you 10? 11?

David Wingate was guarding him.


I probably saw him play about 10 times all up, which is probably 10 times more than the majority of the board. I actually typed in the 1st post "commentators" have said, "yadda yadda yadda."
I'm not pretending that I'm a Reggie Lewis pro and know the ind and outs of his game. But I was a fan. I saw him play: (from memory) Bulls, Knicks, and the Lakers. Maybe a Phoenix game as well. I don't know I was young, but I don't really think that matters.

Are you trying to use your p!ss-poor geewiz15 "you have'nt seen, so you can't comment" rubbish? It's not working on me GOBB. I asked a simple question in my post, but as per usual predictable GOBB tries to turn a good thread into a flame war.

GOBB 07-09-2006 09:53 AM

Hardly the case, i simply asked how you were able to see him living in another country. Calm down. Go make another attention whore video.

TheReturnofCed 07-09-2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Hardly the case, i simply asked how you were able to see him living in another country. Calm down. Go make another attention whore video.


BS, you assumed that I'd never seen him play. Why make a thread about a player I've never seen? I wouldn't call any posters out on players they have/ or haven't seen. Maybe if I made a Maurice Stokes thread, (GOBB says "who?") I would expect a lambasting.

Quote:

Reggie died 13yrs ago. You're from New Zealand. Explain how that is possible to grow up watching him please. I dont think you actually did. Who was the player who guarded Reggie when he initially went down on the court?


And on the subject of attention whores, do I need to point out that rubbish thread you made about 10 minutes ago?
(Asian accent) "Yo ma' homies, check out da ESPN right now, dey got da Kobe n' Sparks on da box. You check it homes!"(Asian accent)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy