Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Al Horford Moving Up To 3rd Pick (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45904)

Pyro 06-18-2007 02:11 PM

Al Horford Moving Up To 3rd Pick

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=ford_chad

Here's the latest on the June 28 draft, based on what I heard this past weekend in my conversations with folks from around the league:

My new mock draft is coming out Tuesday, and I'll have a new player at the No. 3 position for the Atlanta Hawks.

My first and second editions of the mock draft had Mike Conley there. Version 3.0 had Brandan Wright.

For my next version, Al Horford will replace Wright. Sources say Horford is the Hawks' favorite at the moment -- though they still could trade the pick.

That news should come as a blow to both Memphis (No. 4) and Milwaukee (No. 6), both of whom also have Horford ranked No. 3 (behind Greg Oden and Kevin Durant).

Since the Hawks drafted a similar, albeit inferior, player last year when they took Shelden Williams, it's a little surprising that the Hawks would opt for Horford -- especially when they really need a player like Conley.

But then again, it's the kind of thing we've come to expect from the Hawks.

If they draft Horford, they'll probably opt for a point guard at No. 11, but the chances of landing Conley that late in the lottery are slim. Instead, the Hawks will have to settle for a combo guard like Acie Law or a project like Javaris Crittenton.

The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is Monday at 5 p.m. ET.

With Cal center DeVon Hardin stating he's staying in the draft and Marquette point guard Dominic James pulling out of the draft, teams around the NBA are really holding their breath on two players -- Georgetown's Jeff Green and Georgia Tech's Thaddeus Young. They are the only two top players still widely believed to be on the fence.

Word is that two international players, Finland's Petteri Koponen and Italy's Marco Belinelli, are staying in the draft.

Koponen, in particular, is a nice story. Even though the Orlando predraft camp selection committee wouldn't put Koponen in the camp, several teams, including the Knicks, Suns and Spurs, are considering drafting him in the first round.

Koponen, along with several other international clients of agent Marc Cornstein -- Artem Zabelin, Stanko Barac, Zoran Erseg, Marko Lekic and Milovan Rakovic -- worked out for representatives of more than 15 NBA teams in New York this weekend.

Several GMs, including Boston's Danny Ainge, Portland's Kevin Pritchard and the Knicks' Isiah Thomas, were at the event along with numerous scouts. The word from the workouts was that Koponen looked great.

Zabelin looked very good in that setting, but probably not good enough to get a first-round promise -- meaning he's likely to pull out of the draft.

Barac, the other underclassmen in the group, didn't fare as well in the workout, according to several sources at the event. Cornstein said it's "60-40" that Barac stays in the draft.

i seen hippos 06-18-2007 02:17 PM

Re: Al Horford Moving Up To 3rd Pick

Digging their own grave again. lol

wang4three 06-18-2007 02:22 PM

Seems like it's a ploy for Atlanta to get more out of a trade from Memphis or Milwaukee.

Thorpesaurous 06-18-2007 02:28 PM

I've liked Horford as the third best player in this draft for over a year, and even I'd take Conley if I were them. I wonder if they could move that 11 pick and Shelden Williams to move up to get Conley. I'd even consider putting Marvin in a deal if it'll get it done. They really have to stop accrueing assets and start assembling a team.

i seen hippos 06-18-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I've liked Horford as the third best player in this draft for over a year, and even I'd take Conley if I were them. I wonder if they could move that 11 pick and Shelden Williams to move up to get Conley. I'd even consider putting Marvin in a deal if it'll get it done. They really have to stop accrueing assets and start assembling a team.

You mean select Horford at 3 then hopefully trade Sheldon and the 11th to Milwaukee to get the 6th perhaps?

Thorpesaurous 06-18-2007 02:47 PM

Yeah, something like that, or even be willing to use other chips, like Marvin, or Childress.

StroShow4 06-18-2007 02:55 PM

i think the grizz want horford.. so if the hawks plan on taking him i wonder if they will trade the pick.. interesting.

i seen hippos 06-18-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, something like that, or even be willing to use other chips, like Marvin, or Childress.

Ya, they'd definitely have to include other pieces.

Let's assume Boston won't trade their pick cause they want Jianlian and Minny won't trade theirs because they may want Conley or a big that won't be available at 11.

So Milwaukee would be a good team to look at.

There really isn't many options available.

Maybe

11th
Sheldon or Childress
future 1st

for

6th
Villaneuva

allball 06-18-2007 03:07 PM

Maybe I havent seen enoguh of Horford but I've never viewed him as a lottery pick or potentially great pro. i must be msiing something every one else is seeing. I'd take Brewer before him personally. Poor man's Elton Brand as I see it.

i seen hippos 06-18-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allball
Maybe I havent seen enoguh of Horford but I've never viewed him as a lottery pick or potentially great pro. i must be msiing something every one else is seeing. I'd take Brewer before him personally. Poor man's Elton Brand as I see it.

I agree although he would be a bankrupt Brand if anything.

Brewer is a better prospect than Horford.

dak121 06-18-2007 04:37 PM

Horford certainly fits the 6'7'' to 6'9'' requirement that all Hawks drafts picks must apply to.

Horford needs to pray that he doesn't end up in Atlanta and that someone is moving up to take him.

Thorpesaurous 06-18-2007 04:50 PM

I'm not enthralled with Brewer. His handle is plain bad. And while he's a good athlete, his poor handle keeps him from getting into the lane and doing anything with it. His jumper is good, but streaky. And one of his strengths, his defense, may become a liability, because he's not quite quick enough to defend SGs, and his strength will be a factor defending SFs.

Horford's biggest issue entering the draft was concerns about his height. But he measured a legit 6-9. He's already refined in the post, probably the most out of anyone in this draft. He's got a PF body right now, good hands, good rebounder. He's well schooled defensively, and plays a pretty well rounded team game on offense, as do most of the Gators. He may not have the upside that some other guys have, but his upside is good enough when combined with what seems like a lot less risk. He can walk in next year and be what PJ Brown was a few years back. He can get to where a guy like Horace Grant was with a little improvement. And if everything works out, he can be a go to post scorer. He's a much better prospect then Brandan Wright in my view, who was considered a lock at three just a couple months ago.

Y2Gezee 06-18-2007 05:22 PM

Horford will not be better than Wright, KG2, however he's definately a safe pick. And I think he'd be good for Memphis or Boston. However I think the Hawks DO need to get either him or Wright (the correct pick), and hope that Conley is still there at 11. Or hope simply take Crittenton or Law.

Because whether or not they drafted a big last year, that big sucks. And They are not going to get one better than Wright or Horford at 11, and its still a need. But I think they have a strong case at getting Conley at 11, and will definately get one of the other pg prospects. While Im surprised Boston or Memphis isn't going after Conley as they could use pgs (especially Boston IMO), but only teams I see taking him after that are Minnie which is seeming more and more unlikely. Possibly Sac trying to replace Bibby. Regardless I think Atlanta will have a strong chance at getting him.

WuTangWizard 06-18-2007 05:32 PM

Why is Thaddeus Young even thinking of entering the draft? He needs to return to school.

miles berg 06-18-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allball

Exactly. The guy doesn't stand out to me at all.