Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Portland Trail Blazers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   do you guys miss the JailBlazers days? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4659)

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 07-10-2006 11:57 AM

do you guys miss the JailBlazers days?

:confusedshrug:

JimmyB 07-11-2006 06:47 PM

Not really, but...

At least those teams were competitive, and there was a lot of tradeable pieces. Still three years away from playoff contention with Roy/Jack/Aldridge/Webster, but stuck with horrible contracts that will hinder any chances of growth with this group. I just thank god for Thomas and McHale, two inept GM's which may be dumb enough to trade for Miles/Randolph and help us out by taking the Miles/Randolph contracts from us. LaFrentz has a bad contract too, but at least we won't be tempted to run plays through him.

Wicked_1 07-12-2006 03:49 PM

i miss the "Jailblazers" record, they were still making the playoffs and selling out the rose garden.

The Real GM 07-12-2006 05:06 PM

I knew Portland was going down hill after firing Dunleavy. He was a good coach who controlled many egos. Look what he's doing in LA! They fired him for Mo Cheeks! Sure he's a nice guy and was a solid player, but he's done nothing as a coach. The same thing happened to Jim O'Brien in Philly. Iverson had the best all around year in his career under O'Brien and the team was playing under a structured system. Back to Portland, they are about three years away, but have a nice, young nucleus to build around. They had a great draft in filling a void underneath with Aldridge and snatching the best player in the draft (my opinion), Brandon Roy who will win R.O.Y. and is an all-around player. He is also the future star of this franchise. They also can give the keys to Jack at point, who is already better than Telfair. Webster will be their sharp shooter and Outlaw should get an abundance of playing time as the sixth man. They also re-signed Pryzbilla who plays hard every night and is a shot blocker. Blake and Dixon should be kept to come off the bench as well. They need to get rid of Miles and then Randolph as soon as possible. Their lineup should be Webster, Randolph (until traded), Pryzbilla, Jack,and Roy. Off the bench should be Dixon, Outlaw, Aldridge, and Blake as rotation players. In a few years this team could be dangerous, ecspecially if they land the first pick next year.

oldschool32 07-14-2006 09:48 AM

yea that was stupid to fire dunleavy.......yes roy sholud be the franchise player of that team in years to come.. question, who would they try to get or need for Randolph/Miles?

dab0yech0 07-16-2006 03:05 AM

Firing Dunleavy was a complete mistake. Sure the Blazers totally collapsed in that game 7 against the Lakers but it wasnt entirely Dunleavy' fault. He had the Blazers executing perfectly and all those shots they missed were wide open high percentage shots. The Jaillblazer days were very competitive, even Jermaine O'Neal couldnt find PT on that team!

JMX7114 07-16-2006 12:38 PM

I don't miss those days at all - yes, we were more competitive, but it was embarrasing to be a fan of the Blazers...I like the direction we are going in now.....a combination of youth and character players (Joel and Raef - that should be an interesting combination on the court).

reppy 08-27-2006 12:54 AM

I think they fired Dunleavy because he was interested in stockpiling too much talent. Damon Stoudamire, Greg Anthony and Rod Strickland all at PG.. If I recall, I remember hearing something about Sabonis saying that Dunleavy should have been fired when he(?) brought Strickland in.

mavsfan4zindagi 08-27-2006 05:26 PM

I miss em. They were fun to watch.

benisjamin33 08-29-2006 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMX7114
I don't miss those days at all - yes, we were more competitive, but it was embarrasing to be a fan of the Blazers...I like the direction we are going in now.....a combination of youth and character players (Joel and Raef - that should be an interesting combination on the court).

I totaly agree here, i mean yeah it was great being competitive, but when my dad (who isn't into basketball at all) would point out all of the articles about approaching refs in the parking lot, or smoking mary J, or having a concealed weapon, it would just embarras me because they were my team and they acted like some wannabe thugs

derwink 09-08-2006 05:36 AM

I miss the Drexler/Porter/Kersey/Williams/Duckworth teams. They were awesome and classy. It's amazing how quickly they went from them to the Jailblazers.

lakers-city 09-08-2006 07:45 PM

i agree, drexler's blazers were better than pippens and wallace's blazers, and they had much more class.

Bricklayer 09-10-2006 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwink
I miss the Drexler/Porter/Kersey/Williams/Duckworth teams. They were awesome and classy. It's amazing how quickly they went from them to the Jailblazers.

Kevin Duckworth!! ha! i totally forgot about that dude. I used to be a huge blazers fan during the drexler era too. They were so much easier to like than the Bad Boys of Detroit or Jordan's upstart Bulls. The Glide was a classy guy.

derwink 09-10-2006 07:32 PM

I loved that team. Who else was with them? Jerry Sichting? Ainge? Wayne Cooper? Mychal Thompson was before them I think. Danny ????? some 6'4" point guard. Gotta look it up...great team.

Wicked_1 09-12-2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwink
I loved that team. Who else was with them? Jerry Sichting? Ainge? Wayne Cooper? Mychal Thompson was before them I think. Danny ????? some 6'4" point guard. Gotta look it up...great team.

Mark Bryant, Danny Young, Byron Irvin, a young Cliff Robinson, Alla Abdelnaby (SP), thats all i can remember at this moment